F-14 Combat Grip owners: Feedback

Waxer

Hey folks. Thinking about pulling the trigger on the VKB F-14 Combat Grip. I don't already own a Gunfighter, so all in with shipping it is c.€450... so yeah... not cheap.

I do already own a VPC base, so clearly their VFX grip is a much less expensive option for me. However I've been put off by the lukewarm reviews which mention spongy push buttons and the long autopilot lever. Maybe I am being too picky, but I'd rather make the most informed choice so I thought I would reach out the community.

To any people that own and have used the VKB F-14 grip, please can you share your impressions? Specifically: 1) Button feel? 2) DLC feel? 3) Weapon selector feel? 4) Anything else you think relevant.

To any people that actually own BOTH, I'd really like to get your opinions. There is one guy with a helpful video on Youtube I've watched but he had only used the VPC and not the VKB even though he owned both. I know Jabbers was going to do a video review of the VKB option, but as yet he has not been able to publish that review.

Thanks to anyone with some constructive, hands on experience with the VKB grip.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The VKB F-14 Combat Grip is outstanding for me.

1) Buttons: I have two real B-8 grips that are 100% milspec. They are the benchmark for firm springs and making a strong click that you can hear and feel. In fact, the buttons are so stiff on one of the grips, that it almost hurts my fingertips to press them. Among all my various grips, the VKB F-14 buttons are probably the softest and quietest. But stiffness and sound level aside, you can definitely feel a solid click when you press them and they feel precise. TM Warthog and Hornet grip buttons feel almost milspec in stiffness, but are just as quiet as the F-14. The MCG Pro buttons are about the same stiffness as the F-14, but they click much louder. The SCG Pro buttons are stiffer than the MCG and F-14 and louder, too... but not as stiff af the TM Warthog and Hornet grips.

2) DLC: It uses a fairly light spring, which allows precision that is useful when landing, but it doesn't feel very impressive. It mostly feels like the thumb hat switches that normally occupy that position on other sticks, but with more travel. TM Warthog and Hornet thumb hats in that position are much stiffer.

3) Weapon selector: It works great and feels solid. I don't know what the real switch feels like, but this feels milspec. It is fun to use.

4) This is a very comfortable grip. My favorite grips for flying in DCS World are the TM Hornet and the VKB F-14. However, I spend more time flying with the MCG Pro than any other grip because its vast number of buttons/switches allow it to emulate the grips of any aircraft in the game, allowing me to switch aircraft at will without having to quit to the desktop while changing grips. The limit of the F-14 grip is that the real grip it replicates doesn't have nearly as many control options as later grips. So you have the buttons you need to fly, but there is no room for extra funcitons I typically map on the MCG Pro such as kneeboard navigation and "show pilot".

If you are a fan of the F-14 and fly it all the time in DCS World, I strongly recommend the VKB F-14 grip. If you have a lot of airplane modules and switch between them all the time, a grip with lots of control options, like the MCG Pro, is a much better choice.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can the weapon selector be depressed in the sidewinder position to switch between stations? I'm reading it isn't able.

Can the stick itself be canted for center position setups? I'm also reading this isn't possible without an extension, but if using the 200mm curved extension this would offset the actual position of the stick.

Well Jabbers came up trumps today. No not that Trump...

[let's leave political jokes aside - Ed]

Thanks Jabbers!

And to the OP: sidewinder question answered by Jabbers video, linked above. And Canted: one of the comments on Jabbers video has the VKB F-14 grip and he reports that canted positioning is not possible. Maybe a VKB rep can confirm?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can the weapon selector be depressed in the sidewinder position to switch between stations? I'm reading it isn't able.

The above linked Jabbers review specifically covers this. It is not able to do that. But he mentions the bonus center depress on the 4-way hat that could be substituted for that function if needed. I forgot about the center press on the trim hat, I could use that extra button for some aircraft.

Can the stick itself be canted for center position setups? I'm also reading this isn't possible without an extension, but if using the 200mm curved extension this would offset the actual position of the stick.

Because of the twist rudder design, the stick has a hole that fits on the pin that locks the stick straight ahead rather than a slot that permits canting the stick. The 200mm extension is curved, but there is a 100mm extension that can be canted and if you wanted, you could use two 100mm extensions together and double the amount of canting angle range available. If you have the 200 mm extension, you can buy aluminum pipe with the correct inside and outside diameters and use the ends and wire from the 200mm extension to create a custom extension of any length up to 200 mm that would permit canting without the offset caused by the curved extension.

Jabbers mentions his only real complaint is the feel of the two-stage trigger because it feels way too light and quiet at the first detent and still somewhat too light at the second detent. Like all the other buttons, it is much lighter and quieter than my milspec B-8. On the B-8, the first stage is not only loud, but you can actually feel the switch as you hear it clicking. The second stage has just as much sound and increased pressure as it clicks. With the VKB stick, the first stage is incredibly light, but I can clearly hear the switch despite how quiet it is. If you are flying with even a modest volume setting or you are using a headset, you cannot hear or feel the first stage at all. But as you hit the 2nd stage, you can feel and hear it before depressing that switch, and such feedback indicates you have definitely activated the first stage. Then, when you squeeze just a little hard, you can feel and hear the 2nd stage switch clicking. I personally don't mind the feel of the VKB F-14 trigger as a light pull can increase your stability and accuracy while firing guns. But I would prefer that replica sticks not only replicate the looks of a grip, but also have sound and feel identical.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, I'm not a super handy person, so cutting pipe is a pipe dream in my case. I could probably live with Jabbers solution for the weapon selector depress, but my intention was to get the curved 200mm extension, and center mount it.

After having seen all the reviews for both the VKB and VPC VFX, I've decided not to buy either. Should VKB solve the two flaws, then I'll immediately pick one up.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the stick for a week and sent it back as I had to answer your both questions with no. The latest was for me a no-go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Hey @ all.

I just received my F14 grip & so far I`m anbsolutely blown away by its quality and the feel of it.

Just a quick and dirty question; shouldn't there be a screw included, to lock the twist mechanism of the grip? If so, mine seems to be missing.

That's not a big deal, as long as someone could tell me the size for the screw, so that I could me one at the local Home Depot ;)

Ryzen 5800XD - 32GB RAM - Sapphire RX 7900 XTX - VKB Stuff + MFG Crosswind Pedals

Homebase: Southwest Germany 🇩🇪

Make sure to get a metric screw.

I checked, since I had to replace mine too, I took a 3mm skrew, 8mm long (the thread) with a tapered head.

Thx for the measurements. :thumbup:

I have contacted VKB about it, since that small plastic part to change the resistance of the 2nd stage trigger seems to be missing too.

Ryzen 5800XD - 32GB RAM - Sapphire RX 7900 XTX - VKB Stuff + MFG Crosswind Pedals

• 2 weeks later...

Quick feedback after a few weeks of "stick-time"...

The F-14 Grip is a great addition to the VKB lineup, in my opinion.

I really love the quality and the feeling of the stick.

All buttons feel absolutely great, with the trigger beeing the only exception, as the response when going through the 2 stages feels a bit strange to me (mushy ?!).

attachment.php?attachmentid=250403&d=1603015182

The weapon selector is fantastic and has some great feeling to it, when used.

The POV hat really feels solid.

Texturing of the grip is great. The plastic in general does not feel cheap, but great.

attachment.php?attachmentid=250404&d=1603015440

Overall I would like my MCG Pro to feel that way.

Great Grip VKB. Keep them coming. It`s time for some throttle now... :D

Agreed. The grip is overall great. But it's one huge weakness - and it is a big one - is the trigger. How could they mess up so badly on arguably the most important button of the lot on the grip? Let's face it... the trigger feel is terrible.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 6 months later...

VKB should do an F-14 Ultimate. Metal, fix the trigger, add the hole to mount the grip cantered, and maybe add one additional button around pinky area to use as a shift button, so that one of the real buttons doesn't have to be tied up for that.