7 hours ago, Hiromachi said:

Japanese engineers didn't live under the rock. It makes not sense to reinvent the wheel when optimal solution exists elsewhere. And Revi 2b was considered at a time a fine gunsight that was used as basis for designs in more than Japan. Besides, the same point could be made about armament. Japanese Type 99 20 mm cannon was a licensed copy of Oerlikon FF used in Bf 109, PZL P.24 or bunch of other designs around the world. 

Although realistically I dont think the statement is wrong. Zero design was of Japanese origin. However what it was furnished with wasn't up to Mitsubishi but IJN. And it doesnt change its origin just as furnishing Hurricanes by VVS with 12.7 mm Berezin machine guns didnt make them Soviet.

As for propeller, that's a bit of exaggeration. Constant speed unit in the propeller was based off the Hamilton Standard design (due to acquired licence), which at a time (again) was leading prop company. But propeller blades were designed by Sumitomo Heavy Industries. 

Yes, Absolutelly right, in my opinion...

And yes, the Zero is missing in DCS, without a doubt. Witch model, year or navy or not navy is another point, but there should be Zero, specially if the Marianas Islands are comming our way, plus some Japaneese assets. 

I have spoken...😜

Saludos.

Saca111

Edited by Sacarino111
4 hours ago, Sacarino111 said:

.......... Witch model, year or navy or not navy is another point, but there should be Zero, specially if the Marianas Islands are comming our way, plus some Japaneese assets. 

I have spoken...😜

Saludos.

Saca111

If I am not mistaken, the "Zero" was never anything but a Navy a/c. The A6M was never operated by the IJA.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2 minutes ago, AG-51_Razor said:

If I am not mistaken, the "Zero" was never anything but a Navy a/c. The A6M was never operated by the IJA.

I'm pretty sure this is correct and I know for a fact that IJA Oscars were often mistaken for Zeroes.

6 hours ago, Rakkis said:

I'm pretty sure this is correct and I know for a fact that IJA Oscars were often mistaken for Zeroes.

Nakajima_Ki-43-IIa.jpg

that would be easy to do I hope we get both as opfor for the Corsair. I don't care which but both would be nice. 

On 11/1/2020 at 7:27 AM, Doc3908 said:

A couple of months ago I stumbled on a post in the Mods section about Zuikaku carrier (which in itself is quite nicely done): https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/dcs-world-topics/mods-and-apps/dcs-mods/287684-ww2-aircraft-carrier-zuikaku. But there was also a mention of an A6M that the guy had done. Here's the link to his site: http://virtualcockpits.web.fc2.com/mod/dcsw_reisen52/dcsw_reisen52.html. Unfortunately, the Zero is no longer flyable, but it makes a nice AI enemy to test your skills against. And, believe me, it will test your skill (though I'm not sure how realistic the flight model is...). Here's a video of me taking on an AI-controlled A6M in my I-16 (one of very few victories I managed against this A6M)...

I guess our next World War II theater could be China.

14 hours ago, Rakkis said:

HI, I don´t want to be misunderstood, or be "finiki" (is that a word?), but I could remember Zero attacking Pearl Harbor. I have just checked Internet and found that A6M2 Zero model 11 Zeke  took part in that attack, as well utilised from ground bases in helpeing the fleet or the japanes army As I am not any kind of expert in that matter, maybe I mistakenly thought that the Zeke was some kind of navalised Zero. Not arguing, just wanting to explain that if there was a naval one, it would be a geat add to DCS, along with some japanese assests, like carrier os Val etc. for the Marianas islands.

Kindly.

Saludos.

Saca111

Edited by Sacarino111

Ok...

So the A6M was used exclusively by the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) and as far as I am aware never by the Imperial Japanese Army (IJA). 

"Zeke" was the Allies official reporting name for the A6M; "Zero" was the Japanese nickname (Reisen) but this also became a common colloquialism among allied flyers.

There were land based variants of the A6M produced without a tail-hook, because despite being Navy owned and operated, the IJN found itself with less and less carriers as the war progressed but still had island airfields to defend.

The Ki-43 Hayabusa (Peregrine Falcon) was given the reporting name "Oscar" was used exclusively by the Imperial Japanese Army (IJA); however, given the similarity of layout (close cowled radial, low wing, bubble canopy) both types were frequently confused for each other.

8 minutes ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Ok...

So the A6M was used exclusively by the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) and as far as I am aware never by the Imperial Japanese Army (IJA). 

"Zeke" was the Allies official reporting name for the A6M; "Zero" was the Japanese nickname (Reisen) but this also became a common colloquialism among allied flyers.

There were land based variants of the A6M produced without a tail-hook, because despite being Navy owned and operated, the IJN found itself with less and less carriers as the war progressed but still had island airfields to defend.

The Ki-43 Hayabusa (Peregrine Falcon) was given the reporting name "Oscar" was used exclusively by the Imperial Japanese Army (IJA); however, given the similarity of layout (close cowled radial, low wing, bubble canopy) both types were frequently confused for each other.

Hi.

Thanks for the information. Allwas good to lissen to the peolple who knows something about something.

Chhers.

Saca111

Zero is more iconic, and overall the better fighter by a considerable margin in my opinion. But I always had a thing for Ki-43. It is like you take Zero, and crank up all its advantages AND disadvantages. Insanely light and maneuverable, insanely fragile as well. Isn't particularly fast, but still climbs like crazy. Not much in the way of firepower. And it is just weirdly pretty. As a future potential DCS module, I'd prefer Zero, it just makes more sense, but would LOVE to play around with a Ki-43 in DCS too if it becomes a thing at any point.

I'm amazed that Japanese pilots were able to shoot down Lightnings, and even P-47 with it, even though rather rarely as far as I know.

Of course, with Japanese WW II fighters, there is the issue of availability of information and/or accessible airframes. Original documentation is said to be destroyed for most of them, and little or no airframes survive for most types. If we'd like a performance-wise comparable Japanese opponent to existing P-47, P-51, and upcoming F4U1-d, Ki84, Ki-61, Ki-100, or N1K2-J would be better fits than any A6M Zero or Ki-43 Hayabusa. Or arguably even a J2M Raiden. But as far as I know, there isn't much data left for most of them, and frankly, they aren't as iconic as the Zero.

Modules:

MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Hawk T1A, C-101, FC3, A-10C, CA, Mirage 2000C, Gazelle, L-39, MiG-15Bis, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, Yak-52, Christen Eagle II, MiG-19, I-16, JF-17, F-14, F/A-18C, Fw-190A8, AV-8B/NA, Spitifre IX

Mods:

A-4E, MB-339, Edge 540

Utility modules:

Combined Arms, NS 430 GPS

That depends really. A6M2 and A6M3 were far better aircraft than Ki-43-I and early Ki-43-II. To start with, Zero did not have particular issues with structural integrity while first Oscars delivered by Nakajima at the end of 1941 gave pilots headaches due to bending wings. But over time Nakajima put a lot of effort into improving the airframe. Oscar gained similar to Zero reflective gunsight, armament was increased to two 12.7 mm machine cannons (as Japanese labeled HMGs) and unlike Zeros, protective measures were introduced. By the end of production of first series (Ki-43-I) protected fuel tanks were installed. Ki-43-II gained more powerful engine (same as A6M3 / A6M5 Zeros), proper armored plate and better protected fuel tanks. By the end of the 2nd series and especially with introduction of Ki-43-III, Oscar was a fairly well protected aircraft. Fuel tank protection was comprised of various layers of rubber and other dedicated materials, which likely wasnt as good as U.S. all rubber fuel tanks, but was on pair with German or other nation solutions. And armor protection grew to three armored plates (small one to protect the head, large piece covering back and lower parts of body and another small piece angled below the pilots butt and legs). It was 13 mm thick, but high hardness steel was used which proved in tests, when two .50 cal rounds fired at it dented it, but failed to penetrate. And later Oscars were as fast as Zeros.

By late 1943 Zero gained some performance but firepower and protective measures remained almost the same as in early ones (the sole protective measure introduce was fire extinguisher system which could detect fire and in case of detection, would spray CO2 to extinguish flames). 

Another aspect could be discussed as flight characteristics. Oscar required lower stick force for lateral control producing better roll rate, especially at high speeds. So all in all, I would switch from Zero to Oscar by late 1943 if I had to fly either. Better firepower would be nice but Ho-103 compensates a lot with explosive rounds and its better to have armored plate than not to have it 🙂

As for opponents and theaters. Personally I am not a fan of rushing to late war designs. Data on late war Japanese designs are limited indeed, but I simply favor early to mid war stuff. I'm pretty sure that decent balance could be created with high levels of realism if something like 1943 New Guinea theater was selected. You can stick there Zeros, Oscars, Ki-61s and even newer dive bombers like D4Y1, while Allies have whole range of aircraft from Wildcats and P-40s, through Lightings, Spitfire Vs and Corsairs up to early P-47 D-2s. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

18 hours ago, Hiromachi said:

That depends really. A6M2 and A6M3 were far better aircraft than Ki-43-I and early Ki-43-II. To start with, Zero did not have particular issues with structural integrity while first Oscars delivered by Nakajima at the end of 1941 gave pilots headaches due to bending wings. But over time Nakajima put a lot of effort into improving the airframe. Oscar gained similar to Zero reflective gunsight, armament was increased to two 12.7 mm machine cannons (as Japanese labeled HMGs) and unlike Zeros, protective measures were introduced. By the end of production of first series (Ki-43-I) protected fuel tanks were installed. Ki-43-II gained more powerful engine (same as A6M3 / A6M5 Zeros), proper armored plate and better protected fuel tanks. By the end of the 2nd series and especially with introduction of Ki-43-III, Oscar was a fairly well protected aircraft. Fuel tank protection was comprised of various layers of rubber and other dedicated materials, which likely wasnt as good as U.S. all rubber fuel tanks, but was on pair with German or other nation solutions. And armor protection grew to three armored plates (small one to protect the head, large piece covering back and lower parts of body and another small piece angled below the pilots butt and legs). It was 13 mm thick, but high hardness steel was used which proved in tests, when two .50 cal rounds fired at it dented it, but failed to penetrate. And later Oscars were as fast as Zeros.

By late 1943 Zero gained some performance but firepower and protective measures remained almost the same as in early ones (the sole protective measure introduce was fire extinguisher system which could detect fire and in case of detection, would spray CO2 to extinguish flames). 

Another aspect could be discussed as flight characteristics. Oscar required lower stick force for lateral control producing better roll rate, especially at high speeds. So all in all, I would switch from Zero to Oscar by late 1943 if I had to fly either. Better firepower would be nice but Ho-103 compensates a lot with explosive rounds and its better to have armored plate than not to have it 🙂

As for opponents and theaters. Personally I am not a fan of rushing to late war designs. Data on late war Japanese designs are limited indeed, but I simply favor early to mid war stuff. I'm pretty sure that decent balance could be created with high levels of realism if something like 1943 New Guinea theater was selected. You can stick there Zeros, Oscars, Ki-61s and even newer dive bombers like D4Y1, while Allies have whole range of aircraft from Wildcats and P-40s, through Lightings, Spitfire Vs and Corsairs up to early P-47 D-2s. 

Splendid!

In conclusion, we need (badly) japaneese assets plus some fighter module (zoer, Oscar...). No talk about WWII carriers, also needed. In deed. my doctor has the same opinion as I do... Wishlist?

Saludos

Saca111

Saca111