Ignition without magnetos switched on ?

P3CFE

When Both magnetos are OFF.. (forgot to turn them ON..Again :music_whistling:).

De engine still fires up fore a while when starting it.

In my opinion this is not possible, and very dangerous IRL.

When both Magneto's are switched off, the engine should only rotate because of the starter.

There should be no Ignition.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong...But I think i'm right.

Can somebody confirm this as a Bug..

Thanks already

When Both magnetos are OFF.. (forgot to turn them ON..Again :music_whistling:).

De engine still fires up fore a while when starting it.

In my opinion this is not possible, and very dangerous IRL.

When both Magneto's are switched off, the engine should only rotate because of the starter.

There should be no Ignition.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong...But I think i'm right.

Can somebody confirm this as a Bug..

Thanks already

It is called Booster coil. you are pressing it with starter, while starting up. This is battery feed coil providing power to ignition system when magnetos are not strong enough at low rpm. Same case with P-51 only there starter and booster coil is one switch.

In my opinion it is very dangerous way of setting this up, IMO magnetos switches should cut off booster coil too.But those were different times, safety features wasn't there yet :P

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

+1/2

While the engine and prop should rotate because of the starter being pressed, the engined in DCS will still attempt to fire off with magnetos off, which makes no sense. It'll just never catch, but it'll start to behave as if the magnetos are on, but the mixture is still at cutoff.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

+1/2

While the engine and prop should rotate because of the starter being pressed, the engined in DCS will still attempt to fire off with magnetos off, which makes no sense. It'll just never catch, but it'll start to behave as if the magnetos are on, but the mixture is still at cutoff.

Now, you made m curious, will test it soon :)

I did some tests.

1. Mags off,Main Tank Off,No primer,No fuel pressure,Mixture cut off, Starter w/o booster coil and with does not matter = engine is cranking but with not ignition or anything.

2. Mags off.Main tank On,No primer,Fuel pressure present,Mixture cut off, Starter w/o booster and with does not matter = engine is cranking but no sign of any ignition.

3. Mags off and on ,Main tank on,Primer 5 times,Fuel pressure present,Mixture cut off, Starter w/o booster = same as above no ignition what so ever.

4. Mags off and on, Main tank on,Primer 5 times,Fuel pressure present,Mixture cut off, Starter and booster coil engaged= Engine starts to fire but after a couple seconds, ignition stops when priming fuel got burned of, If you pull primer while still cranking engine, it will start to fire again until you stop pushing primer.

Unfortunately i can''t agree with you. For me it looks super realistic. I would say spot on.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

The way it works now in DCS make it imposible to to make a startup just like in real life beceuse in real life u have to count SIX BLADES for the oil to run around the engine.

They need to fix it but we have to keep write about it!

Thanks for the answers..

It was the booster Coil..

tested it..and ...

As soon as I release the booster coil during starting without magnetos switched on. it stops firing..(with an occasional bang in the tailpipe :D )..

Great simulation..:thumbup:

And NO BUG :smartass:

The way it works now in DCS make it imposible to to make a startup just like in real life beceuse in real life u have to count SIX BLADES for the oil to run around the engine.

They need to fix it but we have to keep write about it!

You are wrong here.Ground crew was cranking engine by hands before start up.

Second, electric starter is providing too low rpm to oil pump be effective, so quick start up is just the best way to get nominal pressure in oil system.

If we are talking about spitfire you can start it up like a modern spitfire or p-51, just start cranking engine with magnetos off and w/o booster coil, then you can crank 6 blades then you can hit magnetos and booster coil.

In case P-51 we cant do that because it require modification being made to a plane.

In modern P-51s probably magnetos switch is turning off booster coil too.

But in war time P-51 there was not such a thing like counting blades, ground crew did it before start up, not to fill engine with oil but to check if engine runs free.

If you want to pre oil engine, in modern p-51 there is electric oil pump mounted in system which you can turn on and pre oil engine after long brake in flying.

Edited by grafspee