Partial 80s West vs. East Germany, GUIK or North Atlantic like in Fleet Defender

TheCabal

Hi there guys,

what about that? The second suggestion in the title is from Microprose Fleet Defender. GIUK gap would be cool too.

Greetings,

Cabal

• Like 9

FC3, Ka-50, A-10C, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Super Carrier, TacView Advanced

Next in line: F-5 II , MiG-19 , MiG-23 MLA

Wishlist: PA-100 Tornado, F-104 Starfighter, MiG-25 Foxbat, A-6 Intruder

Yes absolutely yes, any one of these I would kill for in DCS.

• Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

FC3, Ka-50, A-10C, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Super Carrier, TacView Advanced

Wouldn’t that be very big, by comparison to their other maps? By the way, I’d like it too, I guess that’s why it’s a wish list

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Wouldn’t that be very big, by comparison to their other maps

Unfortunately yes, by a long way, unless you choose a very specific region.

The only exception is Germany, which would be the smallest one by far (even if we extend into Belgium, the Netherlands, Poland and Denmark); but at the same time a tonne of objects (even for an 80s map) but at least there's plenty of historical airbases available for both red and blue, and finally a hi-fi green theatre as opposed to all of the sand...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

The marianas is a huge map but its 99% water. Rendering water is easy. The falklands map will be huge too. So GUIK gap is probably doable as long as the land area itself is limited to mostly iceland, maybe some low res of greenland and then the remaining islands and maybe like the upper tip of scotland.

That being said, where would the reds take off and land? Do we have enough red naval assets for the period? Is the actual naval modeling up to snuff (hint no, not by a long shot). Do we have enough cold war naval assets? Nope.

• Like 3

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Well the Falklands are about 5000 sq miles on the ground, and Iceland is more like 10 times that.. and yes I hadn’t even considered the red-for... but yes we would need a Warsaw Pact naval assets pack, as a minimum...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

The good things with the Falklands and Iceland is that they're fairly barren, I'm not sure that the mesh itself is the source of performance issues, more the number of objects.

Iceland does have more varied and I would say more complex terrain AFAIK, but that's really it, it's fairly sparse to my knowledge.

As for red aircraft on a GIUK gap map? No idea, SF2: NA had land based stuff operating out of airfields in the north-east, but to my knowledge they're not suitable for things like bombers.

But even so, we don't even have Cold War bombers to begin with, they're all fairly modern (well maybe apart from the Su-24M/MR and Tu-142).

But there's so many assets missing for 80s era stuff, both blue and red, especially for naval stuff.

I mean look at RAZBAM's lightning.... Yay, great a British jet (even if, erm, yeah) but kind of a misfit at the moment in DCS, because there's nothing it historically intercepts, everything is too modern.

System:

I think terrain wise it would be doable. Look at the PG or Cauc land area.

But more importantly, whats the play going to be? We dint have anything resembling the proper assets on either side for any period. Maaaybe the viggen (which is a bit later, and has fancy TERNAV) but would likely just be used for anti-shipping strikes, and you could say they escaped Sweden and Norway which are now where the Russians are staging out of? But we really have no red units for that aside from AI and maaaybe the FC3 SU-27.

I mean the best scenario i can think of for the marianas is some weird and highly unrealistic deal where the Chinese (modern) or Russians (70's-80s) capture the islands somehow (LOL) and then a US CVBG is used to take them back. So that overall scenario might work for iceland too.

Of course we have no chinese planes. Or modern russian ones except FC3.

Overall its the standard DCS problem of just a really incoherent plane set along with a really limited Core game/assets with planes and assets added willy nilly aside from WW2.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Its funny, I was just about to post this one. :D

Yes, East and West Germany would be just about perfect. We have all the major combat aircraft to make it viable. The real problem is going to be the urbanization which would be challenging, but setting it in the mid 80's would cut out a lot of urban sprawl. But PC's are getting faster clearly this is one that wouldbe in much demand.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The good things with the Falklands and Iceland is that they're fairly barren, I'm not sure that the mesh itself is the source of performance issues, more the number of objects.

Iceland does have more varied and I would say more complex terrain AFAIK, but that's really it, it's fairly sparse to my knowledge.

As for red aircraft on a GIUK gap map? No idea, SF2: NA had land based stuff operating out of airfields in the north-east, but to my knowledge they're not suitable for things like bombers.

But even so, we don't even have Cold War bombers to begin with, they're all fairly modern (well maybe apart from the Su-24M/MR and Tu-142).

But there's so many assets missing for 80s era stuff, both blue and red, especially for naval stuff.

I mean look at RAZBAM's lightning.... Yay, great a British jet (even if, erm, yeah) but kind of a misfit at the moment in DCS, because there's nothing it historically intercepts, everything is too modern.

Redfor can take off from Jan Mayen (1,6km) or they could use the runway at Egilsstaðir 1,8 km or Akureyri 2,4 km if they got to North East Iceland. Runways at Keflavík are only slightly longer at 3km each

Redfor can take off from Jan Mayen (1,6km) or they could use the runway at Egilsstaðir 1,8 km or Akureyri 2,4 km if they got to North East Iceland. Runways at Keflavík are only slightly longer at 3km each

Hmm, the first 2 seem a little short (in my testing fully-fuelled Tu-22M or Tu-95s struggle to get off the ground without running off the end of the Runway at Krymsk, which is 2.6km long according to the chart), I guess you can always take a fair bit of fuel out of them.

And even so, we're still missing assets to make such a map really worth while, even if it's one I would really love to see (mind you, that's not much different from current maps either :music_whistling:)...

• Like 1

System:

• 2 weeks later...

Oooooh yes, a 80s Germany map! Please!

I would get to accidentally drop some Mark84s on my High School.

But to be honest I doubt it would be feasible with a level of accuracy comparable to the other maps. Germany is (and was in the 80s) an extremely urbanised country. If this were to be modelled with any accuracy at all it would be an enormous undertaking.

• Like 6

Z390 MB | i7-8700k | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB m.2 NVME | 1TB SATA SSD | AsRock 6900XT | PowerMac G5 Case Mod | HP Reverb G2 | AKG K500 | TM Warthog | Virpil TCS Rotor Base w/ Constellation Alpha | Virpil MongoosT CM2 base w/ MongooseT grip (soon) | MFG Crosswind pedals | 3x TM Cougar MFDs

• 2 months later...

tumblr_prny28Fqe91wpxdpeo4_500.jpg

Fulda Gap in 1980s all out war in Europe WARPAC vs NATO.

I've been watching this as a small kid and only later noticed how faithfully different weapon systems had been recreated, even details like i.e.

F-15 Eagle cockpit. And this was made in 1982.

Edited by bies
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping the thread. It should not be forgotton and needs to be seen by others as well. 🙂

Stay safe!

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This thread won't go down. +1

• Like 2

There is too much talk about maps like Korea (don't we have enough of it a little bit after two decades of Falcon 4.0 (now BMS)?) and other possible maps which I can't connect to any well known wars in the past. People come up with lot's of strange stuff..... but anyway: A NATO vs. Soviet Union in Europe (West Germany/DDR/Poland) could be a fine thing. The 70s/80s are ignored too much. Especially old school guys should be drawn towards that era...

• Like 2

Just to add a little more, here is a pretty fantastic resource for Cold War airbases on the map.

It also includes things like NAVAIDs etc.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

System:

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/9/2021 at 2:03 AM, Northstar98 said:

Just to add a little more, here is a pretty fantastic resource for Cold War airbases on the map.

It also includes things like NAVAIDs etc.

That is really cool, I had no idea there were so many. Heres a cool little resource that shows some maps with SAM placement in East Germany as well.

http://geimint.blogspot.com/2008/08/ddr-air-defense-cold-war-case-study.html

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

If we may dream than yes, I want a cold war map BRD vs DDR.

• Like 4

wishlist: HH-60G Pave Hawk, MH-60R Sea Hawk, UH-60L Black Hawk, NH90, Super (Sea) Lynx / Mk.88, ME: A placeable animated LSE/marshaller for individual created FARPs

looking forward to: A-6E Intruder, A-7E Corsair II, BO-105 PAH1A1, C-130J, CH-47F Chinook, Eurofighter Typhoon, F-4E Phantom II, F4U-1D Corsair, OH-58D Kiowa, Tornado

Apache beware of the Sikorsky Armed Black Hawk!