Read/mount ZIP liveries

Tailhook

Uncompressed liveries are a large chunk of DCS storage space. Configuring the sim to automatically read/mount ZIPPED liveries (in both main AND saved games) would cut that size down by more than half (800mb uncompressed to 200mb zipped).

Edited by Tailhook
I thought I posted this under Wishlist but apparently not, woops.

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2

There's some inconsistency as DCS has evolved, many common assets are still in files meant only for caucasus or actually the other way around, some stuff is zipped some stuff not, some liveries are thrown in "Textures" folders and some are zipped some not ... there really should be only one place where each aircraft has all the liveries, custom or not and if you add custom ones to the DCS Saved Games then the relative folder structure should be the same, hopefully it'll be solved someday but as you may guess it's a low priority thing.

However I'm not sure where you got a 75% compression ratio there ... images usually don't compress well with lossless data compression, I would have to see it to believe it. Perhaps I never paid attention to how DDS(DXT1/3/5) could compress with DEFLATE?

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

However I'm not sure where you got a 75% compression ratio there

Zipping up any livery cuts it into less than half.

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2