Jester: most frustrating flight sim experience ever !

jojo

MiG 29 head on, 50 RWS.

Switching to TWS, still on scope.

Asking to STT lock Enenmy ahead...Jester scan to the right, loosing the target !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfit for duty :mad::mad::mad:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Haha yeah, I’ve noticed a few times AWACS will report an enemy off the nose and it will even be visible on datalink, but he will be in TWS staring at some friendly off to the right or left. The way I’ve gotten around it is to command his azimuth to center, then back to auto when he starts tracking the enemy. Or command him into RWS then back to TWS.

It would be nice if could be made aware of the AWACS BRAA calls and datalink info, and prioritize his scans accordingly. I imagine and hope he will only get better as things develop.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Dont tell him to lock an enemy as that requires positive hostile IFF. Lock closest contact will usually lock what you want. Just give it time, you'll get used to it and find it pretty intuitive after a while.

The problem with that is he will lock friendlies too, so if you have a mixed bag of friendly and enemy targets, he will lock the closest regardless of ID.

Another nice to have feature would be to have him automatically work the VSL modes during a dogfight. I’d think a real RIO would utilize the best modes based on the bandit’s location, rather than have the pilot constantly have to switch the modes. Not a huge deal as I’ve bound them to my throttle, but it would be a nice touch!

As he evolves I hope little things like this can creep in to make him “smarter” and more proactive!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Haha yeah, I’ve noticed a few times AWACS will report an enemy off the nose and it will even be visible on datalink, but he will be in TWS staring at some friendly off to the right or left. The way I’ve gotten around it is to command his azimuth to center, then back to auto when he starts tracking the enemy. Or command him into RWS then back to TWS.

It would be nice if could be made aware of the AWACS BRAA calls and datalink info, and prioritize his scans accordingly. I imagine and hope he will only get better as things develop.

I did cycle between TWS and RWS, until I got shot at by MiG-29 with R-27R and had to break away.

But yeah, it drives me nut that we got a 29 spike dead ahead, contact on RWS, on TWS and when asking lock he puts the TWS on tilt limit to the right to scan nothing !

On another flight I was asking him to lock friendly target to rejoim for some formation flight.

The E-2C was the only plane flying.

"No can't do"

I guess Jester doesn't know where the IFF button is ?

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Haha yeah. I think if they could make him aware of datalink and AWACS BRAA calls, then he could use that information to point the radar in azimuth and elevation towards the called out target.

For example, if we receive a BRAA call, within 5 to 10 secs of that call you should have an option to have him point the radar in that direction, or have him attempt to find and STT that target. If he’s in TWS and not already guiding or tracking another enemy or otherwise executing a command he was given prior, he should point the TWS towards the BRAA call or datalink targets. Little things like that would make him much more effective I think. It’s just about making him a bit more proactive rather than reactive, understanding of course this will be hard to accomplish without having him do these things when we don’t want him to.

For the record, the tomcat is by far my favourite module, and I think what HB has accomplished already with Jester is awesome. I’m just hoping he can get even better!

Edited by Sandman1330

I re-flew the mission using "lock contact ahead" and it did work.

But my complain is still that when there is one single contact in the air in front of me, I would like Jester to be more pro-active with IFF.

"Lock friendly ahead" (still unknown on the radar indeed)

"No can't do"

"Lock contact ahead"

"We've locked a friendly"

No kidding...:D

It's worse when you have a single MiG-29 in front of you, hard lock "29" on RWR and Jester making the RWR calls, but won't "lock enemy target ahead" :doh:

Mirage fanatic !

It works fine if you know what the commands do and the limitations of the AWG-9. I'm not saying it's bug-free (esp. TWS-Auto) but it helps much to know your ropes in RIO stuff too.

For the dogfight Jester is suppose to look for a target. Pilot's job is to choose pilot radar modes according to the situation - PLM, PAL, VSL Hi and Low.

You can already command Jester to STT datalink contact!

I would not want command to lock friendly end up in locking the enemy - that's just not logical.

btw: Yes, I'm all in for more Jester IQ. He's still WIP.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

It works fine if you know what the commands do and the limitations of the AWG-9. I'm not saying it's bug-free (esp. TWS-Auto) but it helps much to know your ropes in RIO stuff too.

For the dogfight Jester is suppose to look for a target. Pilot's job is to choose pilot radar modes according to the situation - PLM, PAL, VSL Hi and Low.

I would not want command to lock friendly end up in locking the enemy - that's just not logical.

btw: Yes, I'm all in for more Jester IQ. He's still WIP.

My opening post was about struggling to lock a MiG-29 in BVR :smilewink:

I'm fine with dogfight modes.

Mirage fanatic !

My opening post was about struggling to lock a MiG-29 in BVR :smilewink:

I'm fine with dogfight modes.

I know. I replied to all of you who posted before (esp. Sandman).

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I had expectation that "lock enemy contact ahead" would work better.

There is a shortcut command,and it would be more convenient to use than Jester contextual menu.

But yes, I have to work around that...

Mirage fanatic !

Enemy needs a clear IFF as hostile - ROE's and hostile criteria are waaaay more complicated in real life than that. If there is a furrball of friendlies and unknowns then you probably dont wanna shoot anyway. You can also select a particular target at X range from the Jester menu. Personally I never had any issues with that.

That’s interesting, if that is how the crew interaction was in real life then it’s all good. However, I find it strange that the pilot would be expected to take his hands off the throttle to activate VSL during a turn fight, if the RIO also has that capability.

I’d be interested to know how the real guys did it, and as long as it’s realistically modelled in DCS I’m happy :)

As for having him lock a datalink target, how is this accomplished? Does he simply respond to “lock enemy target” even for datalink? This hasn’t been my experience... is there a special command?

Edited by Sandman1330

As for having him lock a datalink target, how is this accomplished? Does he simply respond to “lock enemy target” even for datalink? This hasn’t been my experience... is there a special command?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4298171&postcount=7

I’ll be darned, thanks for that!

Is it (relatively) new? I’ve been away for 6 months and I’m just getting back into the game. I don’t remember that option being there before!

I’ll be darned, thanks for that!

Is it (relatively) new? I’ve been away for 6 months and I’m just getting back into the game. I don’t remember that option being there before!

I think it was available for quite some time but I was surprised lately too as you can see.

Most frustrating is having contacts right in front of you... but there is nothing on the scope. Target enemy ahead... no can do. Two minutes later we hang on chutes.

FC3, Ka-50, A-10C, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Super Carrier, TacView Advanced

Next in line: F-5 II , MiG-19 , MiG-23 MLA

Wishlist: PA-100 Tornado, F-104 Starfighter, MiG-25 Foxbat, A-6 Intruder

I think it was available for quite some time but I was surprised lately too as you can see.

Whenever I order I get a 'no can do'

I have seen how to use the IFF before but I barely know how to use the AWG otheewise. Why isnt doesnt Jester IMMEDIATELY IFF targets? He only calls out friendlies half the time.. ive chased a friendly f14 with him calling out "TARGET! 40 MILES. TARGET 30 MILES" Fired and then got close enough to see on TCS! Wtf Jester!!!

Seriously this shouldnt be happening so easily - Ive taken to not using TWS in this DCE campaign OR trusting jester. I tcs targets myself unless theres NOONE anywhere near me - I had 3 fratricides where i STT'D and held lock for over 5 min unsure of whether they were hostile or not (every time they were dogfighting for their lives)

Can you ask for a equivalent to - "jester - raygun" cmd?

Most frustrating is having contacts right in front of you... but there is nothing on the scope. Target enemy ahead... no can do. Two minutes later we hang on chutes.

That's why I love "PAL" radar mode. 15Nm range :smilewink:

Mirage fanatic !

I find my situational awareness completely lacking in missions with lots going on.

He calls out missile launches and contacts where we aren't the target and he won't lock up aircraft with inferior radar that are locking us. Eventually I ignore his calls for me to jink and I get taken out.

With the Super Carrier almost out I'm almost tempted to just buy the half price F/A 18. A RIO is supposed to reduce the workload but micro-managing him is getting me killed and ruining the carrier ops experience.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, i7-9700KF @ 3.60GHz, 32GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2070 Super 1800MHz, Occulus Rift S, CH Pro Pedals, CH Pro Throttle, Virpil MongoosT-50 CM2, Virpil VPC WarBRD Base.

I know it wouldn't be accurate to real life, but when things happen like the stories you've shared, like Jester dropping lock on one contact 5 times in less than 20 seconds for me just now, it would be really satisfying to be able to eject Jester

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

With the Super Carrier almost out I'm almost tempted to just buy the half price F/A 18. A RIO is supposed to reduce the workload but micro-managing him is getting me killed and ruining the carrier ops experience.

This - the 'Jester Experience' is really letting down an otherwise awesome module. :(

I realise the whole AI crew member is new ground and is clearly throwing up some significant programming difficulties - but there are still the same issues that have been around for many moths like simple IFF, and basic common sense in radar usage.

Not salty, just a shame really - I am just hoping when the SC is actually usable and working properly in say 6-8 months(standard ED period to iron out bugs on new EA releases), the Tomcat will be more user friendly also.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I personally think Jester is pretty decent and once you get used to him you can get very good SA and solid locks. Make sure to disable the automatic PD-STT to P-STT setting WVR in the special settings tab. He also is a fairly good missile warning systems as he call out all enemy launches even if they are below you. :D Can a human RIO do that? Nope.

Instead of saying he is useless and complaining, give it a dozen flights and see if it gets better over time. It's just a completely different workflow to aircraft where you personally control the radar.

Jester is a cool dude. Having him is what makes this module great. They did a great job providing that menue as well. BUT => the most misunderstood stuff is how the radar in the F-14 works and it's downsides.

Usually when flying online, I manage to find contacts (AWACS, EWR) at various altidudes and destroy them, being TOP 1 at A2A kills in no time with (long range) incl. short-range (dogfights) fights when I don't manage to get out of the area fast enough. I fly on a veteran capture the airbase server. Many ppl spawn right at the front line where the action is... forgetting that the Tomcat needs some more range and apply different tactics to keep that radar contact on the scope.

Everything works good, Jester could be better, but still I'm able to do what the Tomcat was built for => shooting down lots of enemy fighters and adjust to situations to make that radar work.

Edited by TheCabal

FC3, Ka-50, A-10C, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Super Carrier, TacView Advanced

Next in line: F-5 II , MiG-19 , MiG-23 MLA

Wishlist: PA-100 Tornado, F-104 Starfighter, MiG-25 Foxbat, A-6 Intruder