How do I use laser Mav?

Thumper1911

I have been doing DCS for awhile. I have done a lot of a-10 and am learning FA18.

I have been working on learning laser Mavericks. I have been doing buddy laser with a friend. The laser seems to work less reliably as the flight gets longer.

Has anyone heard of the laser getting hot, or quit working, or is it bugged?

Don

Yeah laser target designators are prone to overheating if left on for extending periods, though you only really need them on when actively guiding a weapon or just before.

With LGBs for instance I usually start lasing 10-12 seconds before impact, and then turn it off immediately after impact.

Just for an example, the LANTIRN pod in the Tomcat can be fired for 60 seconds before needing a 60 second cooldown IIRC.

Not sure what the exact time is for the Litening II pod we currently have on our Hornet but I reckon after a certain time you'll need to shut the laser off and let it cool down.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I'm running 2.5.6 OB and I can 'lase around' as long as I need. After seeing this thread I fired up the sim just to confirm. Loaded up 4 GBU10's and loitered for 20 min. Dropped the bombs one at a time on the same target to verify another 'feature': Once I press and release the trigger (I'm using a Warthog without TM 'Target' programming.) the LTD shows 'LTD/R' and stays there till my target disappears from the FLIR view. Then 'LTD/R' changes to 'L ARM" until I come around on that target again, then LTD starts lasing again without me touching anything.

There is a little quirk when undesignating the target (with pinky). The laser kept lasing happily even after I'd left the area. Press on the trigger fixed that and the LTD showed 'L ARM'.

Other then that I didn't see any issues like laser cutting out too early or not being able to turn it on. I designated another target 15 min afterwards and the LTD performed the same.