VR or upgrade Monitor?

Maverick1202

I am in the process of upgrading my system or buying a new gaming rig and in that process I have been looking at a new monitor. I also have been researching VR with DCS and have read some reviews. So I'm on the fence about upgrading to a new Ultra Wide HD Monitor (34" curved) or going VR. Some say they will never go back to a monitor and others say stay with monitors and that VR has not evolved yet enough for them to make the move over to VR.

Confusing.

No contest and that's someone that has a very nice monitor but also a 4k projector with a 120 inch screen. Nothing compares to VR. With the latest headsets their is no reason to wait really, you will be very happy with the Rift S, or Reverb.

There is a catch however - You need the very latest hardware to have a good experience.

The people that say otherwise generally are ones that are trying to run VR on lesser graphics cards / systems. You need lots of headroom especially with the OB.

Dont look below a RTX 2080 spec, SSD, 32MB fast ram, fast CPU at or around 5ghz. If your not looking at this min spec go monitor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

PS - i should have stated though DCS in VR is a whole new game, its just amazing to be honest the immersion is fantastic. There is no going back to 2D ever.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Funnily enough I looked at the Rift S as a Display upgrade rather than getting a 1440P monitor. I purchased the Rift S and kept my 32inch 1080P panel and don't regret the decision.

Yes it does have some screen door effect BUT you learn to look past that, being an LCD panel the SDE is not as bad as HMDs that use OLED panels. Up the Pixel Density to 1.5 and the text and gauges in the cockpit are easily read.

I'd wanted VR for simulators for quite some time BUT it wasn't until the Rift S came along that I felt the visual fidelity was good enough and the price was reasonable for me to make the purchase. I don't just use the Rift S for sims, I watch movies (even 3D ones), play old skool light gun games with the headset and touch controllers, use virtual desktop to use my windows desktop. I'm always looking for ways to get more bang for my buck out of the kit I own.

I don't want to discredit what Hawkeye has said above HOWEVER...My current sim rig is an i7 2600K (@4.5GHz) 12GB 1866MHz RAM & a 980Ti, a pretty good rig back in the day but is starting to show it's age now. It took some tweaking with mods and using the Oculus Tray Tool BUT I have very acceptable performance in DCS Single Player with the Rift S now. Honestly no I can't go back to using a monitor for sims now, I'd still rather enjoy the VR experience I currently can manage.

Obviously I do want a better system and yes I agree with Hawkeye's recommendations. I will do the upgrade later in the year though, once the Nvidia 3000 series GPUs launch and possibly when AMD & Intel have their new CPUs available to purchase. There is always something new coming out and on the horizon BUT I still think we do need to use some savvy when choosing the time to upgrade.

Sorry for the wall of text but hopefully my experience helps you out. All the best with it

Similar to above, I’m on a 1080ti, and an i7, and am having a great experience with it. Sure, it could be improved somewhat, but it is more than acceptable.

If vr was discontinued somehow, I would abandon flight sims altogether. Once it has been sampled there is no going back to 2D. You really need to try it, as it is difficult to portray the experience it offers in words. But, even the sense of height is genuine. On flat screens, you look out the window and ground objects look smaller and smaller the higher you go. But your brain has to do the maths and make the mental leap to translate it into height. And it is utterly unconvincing. Once you leave the ground in vr your brain can actually perceive the space beneath the aircraft. No mental translation required. I once flew a mission in Il2, and wanted to get to the top of the stack for the height advantage. I reached the top, and suddenly developed a tremendous sense of vertigo, and had to descend again rapidly as the sense of being so high was incredibly overwhelming. That has never happened in 2D, nor will it ever.

And, again, the immersion is just light years ahead. Say you are used to TrackIR, you can look around, and it’s all very nice and all. But, if your eyes stray beyond the monitor, you are suddenly looking at your novelty World’s Greatest Dad mug, or the dog licking it’s arse. Immersion broken. In Vr, look around and you see more of the virtual world. Spin right around, and see your headrest. Maybe even catch a glimpse of your tail and rudder movements, depending on the craft. And that amazing feeling of scale, when you look out of the window and see see the wings spread out. And it looks like it weighs every ton that it is supposed to.

Nope. I could never, ever return to flat. My advice would be to just jump in. If, for any reason, it is not your bag (unlikely), then the reselling price is fantastic. People are currently selling Index’s for more than they paid, because of the waiting list. You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. Go for it say I :)

As the others have said VR is a whole new experience. Since going VR (Vive then Index) there are a number of titles that I have no longer play on the monitor as it just raises the experience so far.

DCS is slightly different in that I find when learning a new module I like to be able to refer to notes or the manual so I'll still use the monitor but when I do go VR it is much more enjoyable. I believe also that I fly better. I'm revisiting the Huey at the moment and it makes such a difference to how I fly. I can safely go lower because I can judge altitude, my landings are much neater and I've even been getting to grips with slingloading as I can judge hover and low speed better (still room for improvement though).

Being IN that cockpit and IN that world is priceless . I only use my pc for flightsimming , and if a sim does not support vr , i won't buy it .

I have a grandson with a fear of heights . He can fly for hours on a monitor , but when he started the Hornet free flight mission in vr , he was out of that headset in an instant !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Wrong place to ask this.....

Go to an Audi-Forum and ask the question, if you should buy an Audi or a Mercedes? Probably will get answers of people that are highly biased.

Just my input, from someone who sometimes browses through this part of the forum too.

I had a Rift S (maybe 50 hrs), an Index (10 hrs) and also a Reverb (little less than 10 hrs). And I have a LOW Spec system (according to E-2C) with only a 2070Super and an overclocked 9600K (that has comparable singlethread-perf to a I9-9900K BTW).

Yeah, VR is nice but it just has soooo many flaws right now. Some are VR-related, some are unit-related.

The Rift S (while working very fine with DCS) has just poor resolution, that you have to get used to it. I really tried, but when briefly trying monitor again, made me go back.

The Index is actually great, but IMO needs too much perf. I had to go 120%SS to have a morderaly smooth experience in bad situations and that way, visual experience was almost a poor as with the Rift S. A friend has a 2080Ti (& 8700K overclocked) and very often (on MP) complains about poor fps. It seems like 30fps on MP is the standard for him. SP according to him is much better. FOV is nice on the Index.

The Reverb was somewhere between great and poor; great resolution in the middle of the picture (no SDR for me) but quickly getting blurry to the sides. Looking forwad in the cockpit and make a brief glace "down" at some gauges was not possible without moving the head. The cable was a minor annoyance too, even I had a ok fix for it.

Overall, Ill come back to VR sometime in the future, but not right now. Problem is, that many problems with DCS come (IMO) from the old system-core, meaning not having multicore-support, hence the ever growing CPU-bottleneck. So waiting for a Rerverb G2 and a RTX3080TI or RX6900 will not resolve the issues.

For me especially annoyng was all those shimmering; looking around on the carrier was for me a very sad experience. Nothing compared to the nice overall experience on the monitor.

Using monitor (32inch 1440p) and TrackIR isnt perfrect and the spacial awareness of VR is unsurpassable, but for me the better resolution and the much less shimmering (aliasing) right now is the way to go.

But from what I understand, VR is used by the majority of people in DCS, so it probably will suit you too.

Edited by Wali763

It would be interesting to know what percentage of simmers (particularly dcs) do use vr .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

BTW.

VR seems to be religion here.

And as we all know religion is always right!

Critizizing VR for some is almost as bad as callling DCS a game!

:P

Edited by Wali763

I also have VR, and love Half Life Alyx, for example, but only fly with TrackIR and my awesome ultrawide monitor. Despite all the people saying you won't go back, I did. Can you try it at a friend's house or something?

I just think it's too much trouble. Games like Half Life significantly change how they are played in VR, but for flight sims, while cool-looking right when starting, the effect wore off on me. After which everything was just harder - spotting, reading my gauges, checking six, using the keyboard, the setup, maintaining performance, the weight of the headset, the sweat, the nausea, etc

Basically I just jump back in occasionally just to see what it's like to be in the cockpit of a new plane I'm learning, but after the initial look, just go back to TrackIR for normal playing.

That's why I suggested trying it if at all possible. Despite what some people say, it's not a guaranteed slam dunk.

Edited by unlikely_spider

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

If you have the pc with enough power to do VR... there is no comparison. There is no going back. VR all the way. Of course there are those who prefer to look at a higher resolution picture of the simulated world through a window, aka monitor. I prefer to be IN the simulated world, SITTING IN THE COCKPIT. Best is if you can try VR for yourself.

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

Look at my signature and you know my system.

I can't go to monitor, it is like soulless experience.

Where the monitor is superb is learning the startup and shutdown process by having checklist printed in your hand and other hand on mouse and using trackIR.

Everything else is out of the consideration without VR.

I can just move my simseat to front of the 65" television, start DCS without VR by special shortcut, and be flying with it in minute.

But the experience is so awesome in VR.

There are people who prefer screens because unrealistic spotting capabilities and unrealistic way to look your six with trackIR etc. But if immersion and realism is for your target, VR it is. When Rift S came out, the RGB panel changed dramatically how well you can see. Like spotting in clear sky a fighter at 3-5km range is not a problem. Opposite is true that Rift S follows closely to real BVR spotting ranges by aircraft sizes and the especially attitude and other elements.

The VR will force you learn new things how to fly. As you can't look your six so easily (possible without any cheating etc, with same limits as reality) you must learn to value your flying skills so you understand what is happening around you so when someone gets to your rear hemisphere, you must be careful how you fly as you can easily lose the sighting.

Just like example the F-35 pilots has said that their new helmet is superior to even hornets JHMCS because you don't have a HUD anymore and the data that is drawn on visor is better so that they don't need to constantly perform traditional "look your wingman, check your speed, look your wingman, check your radar, look your wingman, check your altitude, look your wingman..." As you can just concentrate everything that is happening around you as you see always where your wingman is and what is your speed, altitude etc without taking eyes off from surroundings as you get data overimposed to your view.

So in VR you are doing those same things, but you instantly have easier way to track things and look at things as your muscle memory and 3D awareness is completely different level in VR.

Personally I am expecting three things anymore.

1) wider FOW horizontally, maybe get little more downward as well.

2) just get a Vulcan in DCS and receive most capable performance boost that would overcome everyone dreams (fantasy).

3) hand tracking. I want my HMD track where my index fingers points and when I snip something with index finger and thumb so I can operate knobs and such. We never get the real situation that is haptic feedback by feeling by hand that you touch right widget and then adjust it, and only look at the widget after you made adjustment that did you set it correctly. So you don't look widget, adjust it and then look back to outside but just opposite. Look out, make adjustment and then check setting and back to outside.

And reason why I want wider FOV is not to see better at six, as I can just turn my head to look my six like reality, but I want it to just remove the slight blinders and give more immersions.

And performance increase so more people can start enjoying VR.

As it is something that pulls easily away from immersion when suddenly your target starts flickering because sudden dip in FPS.

Edit:

Now the immersion is just multiple times higher with VR. The experience that you sit down to your simchair, launch DCS, set HMD on and jump to aircraft cockpit.... Is very difficult to explain how awesome it is when you pull off HMD and you realize that whole that time flying you weren't in cockpit but sat in your home.... It is something that even today after years gets a grin on your face that how lucky you can be to experience that!

You can get custom to the height, speed etc. But the revelation when you pull out from VR to reality is something crazy. And that is thanks to DCS possible. As only few VR games can do that immersive experience. So if you try at someone's place a VR with traditional VR games, your experience can be completely off.

I have never been such a fan for driving simulators like Project Cars 2 etc. As they for somewhat feels boring. And I truly tried last month to drive those various top simulators and I just couldn't get the feeling of speed. It was constantly like driving at 50-100km/h even when your speedometer showed 290km/h.

And I must blame the experience to fly KA-50 at 310 km/h at 3-5m altitude while dodging trees etc. And the taking Su-25A or AJS-37 and going for 550-900km/h speed at treetops level.

So while DCS lacks feeling for speed because non-existing ground clutter etc, it truly offers more feeling to fly low even at 120 km/h in huey than driving in F-1 car.

And that is so scary thing really, that you get so immersed to flying that you realize that it ain't true. That you have just been completely cheated from reality.

I so would want to get a true FF stick that would offer those 50-60kg forces if required, but with great resolution to go from negative to positive at any 20-50g force stepping.

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yep I have been VR all the way since Jan of 2017.

First with the Rift CV1 and then with the Rift S when it came out about a year ago.

Have not done any gaming on monitor since. It is VR all the way for me, or nothing. I have not played on the monitor since getting that first CV1.

I caution anyone though, it can be quite addictive and dangerous to the wallet. It can cause one to spend much money on components to run it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

For me it's VR all the way. But it takes some getting used to so the advice to try it first is good, your early sessions may be quite short as I find it takes some people a bit of time to build a tolerance to motion sickness. Not being able to see the controls isn't an issue either for me, you soon build muscle memory.

The lower resolution argument is a fair one, but using the Rift S I have no issues reading MFD's, the HUD or gauges. Some of the switches may need a zoom in to read clearly at first but once you've learnt the systems you won't need to keep referring to the text on the switches anyway so this won't hold you back. VR zoom can be bound to the HOTAS and it's no issue quickly zooming in and out when needed. In a nutshell it could be better but it's good enough.

Once you are used to it there is in my opinion nothing quite like it for immersion, frantically craning back over your shoulder in ACM or having a real sense of scale and depth perception when flying takes it to a whole new level for me...once you combine it with a quality hotas, pedals, button boxes, bass shakers and MFD's then it really comes into it's own!

Beware though...it does get expensive, but it's worth every penny (as I have to keep telling the wife)

Edited by ChillNG

BTW.

...callling DCS a game!

:P

How dare you ! :)

Beware though...it does get expensive, but it's worth every penny (as I have to keep telling the wife)

The wife comment did make me LOL. Actually I think VR is pretty cheap, if you compare it to the dedicated guys (& gals) who have 3 screens or projectors, Track IR, build their own cockpit with the HOTAS, MFDs and button boxes. When I consider the level of immersion I'm getting from a £400 HMD, I still find it surprising after many many hours in the cockpit. The 3D effect giving depth perception makes in flight refuelling so much easier.

It's very difficult to try and describe the feeling of flying in VR, people really do need to experience it themselves. I do have a few videos up on Youtube BUT it doesn't do it justice as again viewers don't get the 3D effect. Whilst getting to grips with the flight model of the F14-B I took on 4 "Mig 28s". First one I splashed with a Sparrow, by the time I turned onto the 2nd Mig and acquired a lock I said "He's going to pass me" and then naturally cranked my head around as he flew past. Snapping my head back around I rolled and acquired the 3rd Mig, launching a Phoenix and seeing him explode just off to my left side. Then I bring the bird around for a Sidewinder kill and after some maneuvering I eventually get a guns kill on the final Mig. I'm sure it looks quite awesome in the video BUT actually "being there" doing it was on another level.

Once I upgrade my old rig later in the year. I'm interested in removing the Rift S face plate and use a 24 inch touchscreen with Helios for better immersion controlling the switches and buttons in the cockpit. I should be able to easily glance down under the HMD and still maintain immersion as the TS Monitor accurately models the cockpit. I'm sure I can knock up some "blinders" to help block out my peripheral vision, we shall see how it goes.

I've really enjoyed reading other peoples opinions, even if they did go back to a monitor after trying VR. Happy flying guys, all the best

User of the CV1 and now the Reverb. VR is better than any 2D experience, period. You are in the aircraft and part of the world in VR, it`s just a totally different level of immersion. You can later add force feedback via motors in your seat etc to increase the immersion again. As for buying a HMD, the Reverb is the resolution king ,but there is a Reverb 2 due out this year so I`d wait for that. Obviously you need a beefy system and DCS optimization is poor atm for the cpu, which is important for VR.

If I were in your situation I’d probably wait for the 3080 series to come out and hopefully reverb gen 2. VR is very convincing, but i think we’re too close to next gen in GPUs, CPUs, etc to justify a major upgrade today with hopefully only a few more months before next gen stuff rolls out.

It’s not perfect yet, but it’s getting better and better.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

I also have VR, and love Half Life Alyx, for example, but only fly with TrackIR and my awesome ultrawide monitor. Despite all the people saying you won't go back, I did. Can you try it at a friend's house or something?

I just think it's too much trouble. Games like Half Life significantly change how they are played in VR, but for flight sims, while cool-looking right when starting, the effect wore off on me. After which everything was just harder - spotting, reading my gauges, checking six, using the keyboard, the setup, maintaining performance, the weight of the headset, the sweat, the nausea, etc

Basically I just jump back in occasionally just to see what it's like to be in the cockpit of a new plane I'm learning, but after the initial look, just go back to TrackIR for normal playing.

That's why I suggested trying it if at all possible. Despite what some people say, it's not a guaranteed slam dunk.

It’s very interesting how we all have very different reactions to the experience. I wonder if we all have different ways of processing the experience of flying so for some people a two dimensional representation is equal to better than 3D (VR). For me, flying in VR feels like flying in RL. The lack of 3D perspective on a flat monitor does more than break immersion, it lacks the cues I need to fly well. I get to fly full motion simulators for training at places like Flight Safety and CAE. With VR, I miss having all the real cockpit controls, but the visual perspective of VR is IMO better.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

You're getting a wider range of opinions and it's probably worth addressing some of the issues as a VR fan.

VR can be a bit of a PITA to set up. No more so than getting out my flight stick, throttle and pedals. Not a big deal but it's enough to put me off if I'm tired after work.

Comfort can be an issue. I can wear the Index for a couple of hours with little problem but that wasn't true at the start. It took me a while with both my headsets to find the best fit. Additionally the Index gets hot and I had to fit a USB fan to cool it.

Shimmering was mentioned. Without seeing it that sounds like ASW which isn't great but I've turned it off for all my sims and I've had no problem since.

Image sharpness is poorer than the 4K monitor but I find it sufficient for guages. Against that spotting is easier as objects are properly scaled in you field of view so it's kind of six of one half a dozen of the other.

Keyboard commands can be an issue though I can find some keys easily enough by touch but otherwise Voice Attack really helps and the Index has a good inbuilt mic.

As suggested try to get a demo of VR but be aware that if you go for it you won't be getting best results from day 1. You will probably want to spend some time tweaking your setup to get best results.

Just to clarify a couple of earlier posts:

VR users are a tiny fraction of all DCS players, not the majority. Hence why the same small group of people are such frequent posters in this section.

On my 2080 Ti, 5GHz 9700K, the reverb ran like utter crap (unlike 30 or so other VR games). Apparently DCS VR is better for lower res HMDs, and some people are ok with the Reverb average fps of 45, but for me moving my to an ultra-big 55 inch OLED display was far better.

Having said that, I LOVED flying in VR if it was just me, no enemy units, and over a simple area of terrain. It's revolutionary. So I'll be back when I can maintain that performance in a simple Tomcat mission, say 2023.

Edited by GunSlingerAUS

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

VR users are a tiny fraction of all DCS players, not the majority.

If anyone is curious about the actual statistic, 12% of flight sim players currently use VR

https://download.navigraph.com/docs/flightsim-community-survey-by-navigraph-2019-final.pdf

But yeah if you ask this question on the VR section of the forum that will rather skew the responses.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Just to clarify a couple of earlier posts:

VR users are a tiny fraction of all DCS players, not the majority. Hence why the same small group of people are such frequent posters in this section.

That is 100% accurate.

Same can be said for a HOTAS, TrackIR and such controllers. They are minority if not just enough to be majority (like 50-55%). Not even everyone have a joystick, but almost all do. Not all have throttle, but many do.

That is as well requirement to remember that so many is enjoying DCS by having a joystick on table and then other hand on keyboard, if not even on the mouse.

So not everyone has a dedicated chair, HOTAS, TrackIR, big screens etc for just flying. We are niche group who are having change to have nice 3 square meters (if not even complete room) for a flight chair, VR set with nice HOTAS build on it. There are even some more niche groups who have motion platforms or even complete built aircraft simulator pit with all physical and functional widgets.

The huge difference between physical simpit and VR is that VR user has always perfection to the level that 3D modelers are making. We can't physically touch some things but when you have capability for hand movements inside cockpit to operate aircraft, it gets even better because you have always HMD instead display front of you. The best of the best situation is for those who have dedicated simpit, 270-360 degree projector setup and they even have a motion platform in that or somekind, but again VR will beat it if well made.

Yet, we need to remember as you reminded that majority just picks up joystick (and sometimes throttle) from somewhere else on table and plug it in before starting DCS. So when we VR users talk about the immersion, it is not to talk down anyone down from their possible situation, just that we have been there with various levels flying, and VR is just next step to experience flying, not a lateral movement for some kind different.

That is as well why I always recommend Rift S over anything else as starting point, because it offers better than good enough visual quality (meaning, you can read 99% of the instruments and labels in all modules) and you don't require much time to spend setting it up because its Inside-Out tracking and simply "Plug in and play" mentality, and because it is so cheap (relative to other systems from 1000-5000€ ranges) with its 450€ price tag. And most importantly because it has by the specs lowest requirement, it means a lower end PC setup can run it better than higher end, so not so much need to put another 1000€ for a PC to enjoy from it.

On my 2080 Ti, 5GHz 9700K, the reverb ran like utter crap (unlike 30 or so other VR games). Apparently DCS VR is better for lower res HMDs, and some people are ok with the Reverb average fps of 45, but for me moving my to an ultra-big 55 inch OLED display was far better.

Well, mine is bigger than yours and I had it before VR. And I can't go back.

Just two days ago my goddaughter (8y) wanted to learn flying. We had planned to go a airplane museum (there are few MiG-21Bis, Dragen, Mi-8 etc etc) but it was closed because COVID-19, regardless it is so remote and basically just a hangar inside a forest away from anything else. And I told her that we go first to museum and then I give her a ride.

I got to situation where I was required to consider that HOW I would do her first experience to fly. VR or TV. And it was simple, it was the TV. Because I can be next to her, talk with her and help her to take first lesson. It was as well super easy to decide that what is the first aircraft, and it is Yak-52.

But I completely am ready to give her a change to try flying in VR once she gets a touch to fly alone. At least I am happy that if she gets bitten by flying, that I don't need to be paying her flight lessons in the future (or at least I will completely decline doing so....).

But for learning part, nothing better than the screen front of the chair.

Having said that, I LOVED flying in VR if it was just me, no enemy units, and over a simple area of terrain. It's revolutionary. So I'll be back when I can maintain that performance in a simple Tomcat mission, say 2023.

That is why I am still hoping that Vulcan, and especially ED new redesign of the dynamic campaign and AI units behavior etc, would dramatically drop the performance hit from AI units. As it can't be so that a units that are 100 km from you will eat your CPU down, as they shouldn't have any single requirement for your performance as they should be just simulated (as numbers) and not modeled and simulated (yeah, you know....).

Meaning we should in 2020 already have a possibility have thousands of units on the map doing all kind stuff and yet not to melt our CPU's or drop frames. Some other RTS games can do that with even more ground clutter etc and quick zooming in and out, but they are running as well own graphics engine for that ask that can handle millions of graphical objects and thousands of AI 3D models.

[quote=John C Flett;4325425

VR can be a bit of a PITA to set up. No more so than getting out my flight stick, throttle and pedals. Not a big deal but it's enough to put me off if I'm tired after work.

That depends heavily about VR set that is in use.

For me, the Oculus Rift S is always connected to my primary flight PC. Only the three cables goes from PC to my custom made VR flight chair, the Rift S and VKB stick+pedals and CH throttle. My stick is mounted to center of the chair, my throttle is mounted to side of the chair. Only thing that I need to do is to place pedals on front of the chair. When VKB comes out this year with their throttle, I buy that so the goes from three to two. Of course I could have used USB hub but...

In the "collapsed form" the chair takes only a 50 x 50 cm area, and I can pick it up and place it where ever I want if needed.

If I want to move the chair to another location, I can just unplug VR from rear of the PC, unplug to USB cables from front of the PC and then just carry the chair with everything on it to car and transport it. It is more difficult really to even take a keyboard and mouse with me than that chair with all flight controllers on it and VR. And my keyboard and mouse are wireless... :-D

I did design my chair so that I can build the PC inside it. So all that I would need is to plug a AC cable to wall and it has complete set in it. All wires would come from inside, the Windows desktop is used by the Oculus desktop casting etc. This so that I could just take the chair from handles, move it to other location for demo or for co-op and be there without keyboard and mouse even!

So in this current form, all I need to do is to sit in chair, put HMD on and I am operating eveyrthing from that point with hand controllers to launch DCS, use DCS and finally operate aircrafts.

Because like you, I got tired for the idea to plug, move, carry etc any other thing. And why I think that VR has not so great change to reach high percentages in gaming because after work/school days, people are tired and they do not want to stand center of the room, waving hands, crouching, kneeling, jumping, turning around etc. All they want really to do is to sit down comfortable on the coach, watch TV and move thumbs to play a nice game (if they are for gaming, why consoles has so huge market share).

VR is amazing for flight/space simmers or car simmers. You sit on the chair in reality as in virtuality. You have hands on physical controllers like in both and you enjoy from looking around. Nothing like that in any other game types for VR.