Has Deka decided yet? What's their next module?

8 hours ago, IcedVenom said:

Bro what are you talking about. J-8II is based off of the Su-15... Also as much as I want a J-7, they are more than likely going to go for the Q-5.

Its basic configuration resembles an enlargement of the delta-winged J-7 (based from Mig 21), utilizes two Liyang (LMC) Wopen-7A turbojet engines, and features a maximum speed of Mach 2.2. The twin-engined J-8 competed with rival Chengdu Aircraft Industry Group's single turbofan engine, canard-delta J-9 project and ultimately emerged as the victor largely due to the existing availability of the former's MiG-21 based powerplant and proven layout, while the J-9 project was cancelled in 1980 due to difficulty in creating a suitably powerful engine. (Source: wiki)

So, the J-8, if you see their initial versions was like a MiG 21 with an enlarged nose....

The J-8II series appear quite different from the original J-8, with a new forward fuselage, intake ramps with splitter plates and nose structure more reminiscent of the F-4 Phantom II or Sukhoi Su-15 to house a new, more powerful radar.

The whole design was based of from the Mig 21 series and the J-7 series.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, IcedVenom said:

I apologize. I was under the assumption that it was inspired by the Su-15 but a more modern domestic design. Thanks for correcting me. If we don't end up getting Su-30MKK or J-7II, I hope we get this one.

EDIT: After further research it turns out I was half right. The solid nose configuration was directly inspired from the Su-15.

I have Still been unable to find any article or site that say that any part of the J-8II is based on or directly inspired by the Su-15.

I find mention of the J-8II being comparable in aerodynamic performance to the Soviet Su-15

And mention that it is reminiscent of the Su-15 but never any mention that it is actually based on, inspired by or related to it in any way.

In order to fit a larger more powerfull radar the nose and intakes for the J-8 needed to be redesigned.

And during this time period China had purchased a number of Mig-23s from Egypt.

These were studied in China and their intake design was used as a basis for the J-8II intakes.

And if you compare the actual nose of the J-8II and Su-15 (and not the intakes of the rest of the aircraft) then there is a big difference in the shape and size of the radomes.

Their similarity most likely comes from the fact that they were made with similar approaches and from similar Origins.

The Su-15 design was basically a slightly enlarged twin engined solid nose version of the Su-9/Su-11 powered by two R-11 (first version)

and then two R-13 engines.

(That were also used in the Mig-21)

The J-8 Design started as a enlarged twin engined

J-7 / Mig-21 powered by two WP-7A (J-8) or two WP-13A

(J-8II) engines.

These engines are reverse engineered versions of the Russian engines

(WP-7 being based on the R-11 and the WP-13 being based on the R-13)

And while much larger the Su-9 and Su-11 used the same tailed delta configuration as Mig-21.

So it makes perfect Sense that the J-8II and Su-15 look pretty similar as they are designed based on Aircraft that looked somewhat similar,

they use more or less the same engines,

and they are designed to fill more less the same mission

(so they have similar requirements when it comes to radar and flight performance).

So it is not a Huge surprise that they ended up look Kinda similar.

But looking similar does not have to mean One is based on or inspired by the other 

Edited by mattebubben

My personal order of preferrance is:
1 - Late J-7
2 - Su-30MKK if possible to make realistically
3 - Followed closely by Q-5, although this depends on what kind of Q-5 is possible, if China ever had a version with at least some guided missile/TGP capability to give red side a semi decent striker. If not, Q-5 would fall down a place in the list.
4 - J-8II comes last, somewhat distant last too.

But would honestly be happy with any of 4 in DCS.

Edited by WinterH
  • Like 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

On 3/17/2021 at 11:46 AM, WinterH said:

1 - Late J-7
3 - Followed closely by Q-5, although this depends on what kind of Q-5 is possible, if China ever had a version with at least some guided missile/TGP capability to give red side a semi decent striker. If not, Q-5 would fall down a place in the list.

My order would be pretty similar.

With the J-7 first and the J-8 last.

But when it comes to the Su-30 and Q-5 im more conflicted.

Personally i would probably get more enjoyment from flying the Q-5

(I prefer simpler cold war era and Single Seat Aircraft over modern glass cockpit and two Seat Aircraft)

But i think the Su-30 would be much more important for DCS so i would probably put it higher on the list for that reason.

Edited by mattebubben

3 hours ago, WinterH said:

1 - Late J-7

Hello,

For much that I would like an Su-30MKK, wouldn't it fall on that cathegory of: "too modern and actual" weapons system to be featured in the sim ?

(And therefore with the typical difficulty to get all the needed accurate information on it.)

About the J-7 fighter, I've flown a mod of it years ago on Free Falcon.

Don't have the slightest idea of its featured Flight Model realism, but I liked to see that its perceived sustained turn rate was indeed better than any of the MiG-21's variants.

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

2 hours ago, Top Jockey said:

Hello,

For much that I would like an Su-30MKK, wouldn't it fall on that cathegory of: "too modern and actual" weapons system to be featured in the sim ?

(And therefore with the typical difficulty to get all the needed accurate information on it.)

About the J-7 fighter, I've flown a mod of it years ago on Free Falcon.

Don't have the slightest idea of its featured Flight Model realism, but I liked to see that its perceived sustained turn rate was indeed better than any of the MiG-21's variants.

Well IIRC the Su-30MKK were Delivered to China between 2000-2003.

So if they were to model a Early model MKK

(so as delivered 20 years ago)

Then it would actually pre-date the F-16C and F/A-18C etc that are modeled in the game as they are both modeled as they were in the mid 2000s 

(With the AV-8B (NA),A-10C and JF-17 versions etc being even more Up to date)

So given that Deka has already made a 5-10 year old JF-17 that is far more recent then a 2000-2003 era Su-30MKK

i would say it probably depends on the local laws and what contacts and sources they have etc.

But since Deka has shown that they are openly considering it i would Guess they dont see it as impossible.

Edited by mattebubben
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mattebubben said:

Well IIRC the Su-30MKK were Delivered to China between 2000-2003.

So if they were to model a Early model MKK

(so as delivered 20 years ago)

Then it would actually pre-date the F-16C and F/A-18C etc that are modeled in the game as they are both modeled as they were in the mid 2000s 

(With the AV-8B (NA),A-10C and JF-17 versions etc being even more Up to date)

So given that Deka has already made a 5-10 year old JF-17 that is far more recent then a 2000-2003 era Su-30MKK

i would say it probably depends on the local laws and what contacts and sources they have etc.

But since Deka has shown that they are openly considering i would Guess they dont see it as impossible.

Thank you.

All that I didn't know, but it it seems good news afterall:

- I thought the Su-30MKK was somewhat newer;

- was forgeting the fact that being a PLAAF aircraft, doesn't have so hard restrictions on releasing the information needed to feature it in a PC sim, (contrary to Russian Air Force aircraft).

In that case, I wish they'll go ahead with it then - I would buy it!

Edited by Top Jockey
  • Like 1

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

7 hours ago, mattebubben said:

I have Still been unable to find any article or site that say that any part of the J-8II is based on or directly inspired by the Su-15.

I find mention of the J-8II being comparable in aerodynamic performance to the Soviet Su-15

And mention that it is reminiscent of the Su-15 but never any mention that it is actually based on, inspired by or related to it in any way.

In order to fit a larger more powerfull radar the nose and intakes for the J-8 needed to be redesigned.

And during this time period China had purchased a number of Mig-23s from Egypt.

These were studied in China and their intake design was used as a basis for the J-8II intakes.

And if you compare the actual nose of the J-8II and Su-15 (and not the intakes of the rest of the aircraft) then there is a big difference in the shape and size of the radomes.

Their similarity most likely comes from the fact that they were made with similar approaches and from similar Origins.

The Su-15 design was basically a slightly enlarged twin engined solid nose version of the Su-9/Su-11 powered by two R-11 (first version)

and then two R-13 engines.

(That were also used in the Mig-21)

The J-8 Design started as a enlarged twin engined

J-7 / Mig-21 powered by two WP-7A (J-8) or two WP-13A

(J-8II) engines.

These engines are reverse engineered versions of the Russian engines

(WP-7 being based on the R-11 and the WP-13 being based on the R-13)

And while much larger the Su-9 and Su-11 used the same tailed delta configuration as Mig-21.

So it makes perfect Sense that the J-8II and Su-15 look pretty similar as they are designed based on Aircraft that looked somewhat similar,

they use more or less the same engines,

and they are designed to fill more less the same mission

(so they have similar requirements when it comes to radar and flight performance).

So it is not a Huge surprise that they ended up look Kinda similar.

But looking similar does not have to mean One is based on or inspired by the other 

Very cool. Thanks for sharing! If no Su-30MKK, this is my #2 choice!

1 hour ago, Hornet_Driver said:

I want the Su-30MKK so bad, though I don´t think it´s probable since they don´t want to model those MFDs. Would be nice if Deka announced their final decision...

Maybe, but I’m sure they wouldn’t have announced publicly they were considering it if they weren’t open to the possibility.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bananabrai said:

What would the Su-30MKK bring in terms of A-G capabilites?

Good question. I mainly think of in terms of being very capable in the AA environment, but it was multirole but aside from Kh-31P's I'm not really sure what it could carry in terms of smart munitions or TGPs to employ them. 

I mean, in the current ecosystem, IMO "red" would mainly benefit from a modern top tier A/A platform that could easily go toe-to-toe with stuff like the Eurofighter or the F15E that are coming, the JF17 is a pretty decent striker already and can serve as a stand-in for other planes. The other thing "red" would benefit from is a a 70's/80's soviet era precision strike aircraft like a su-17m4 or Mig-27 or even a FF su-25, or in the case of China a Q-5 variant as a stand-in, since we will have the full lineup of migs from the 15-29 (minus the 17) from 1950-1985 or so pretty soon.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The early generation Su-30s, which an unupdated MKK would be I think, may not prove especially great with precision attack capabilities as far as I know. Expecting it to go toe to toe with Eurofighter is a stretch too I'd say. Its systems and missiles may even fare a bit worse than JF-17, as the latter is pretty much a 2010s aircraft even if a cheap one.

It would be full fidelity Russian fighter that would be leaps and bounds better than any other existing Russian fighters in DCS that is for sure. But current and upcoming top tier bluefor stuff will still be somewhat ahead of it regardless. Both in AA and AG I'd think.

That's another reason why I'd personally be more excited for 70s-80s stuff instead. But don't get me wrong, if possible to do realistically, a Su-30 full fidelity, even an earlier one, is definitely exciting even for me, who tend to prefer oldie stuff. Let us hear what will Deka end up telling us when they decide I guess :).

• Like 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Su-30s are no slouches when it comes to AG/AS.

MKK and MKK-2 can carry:

>Kh-29T/Ls TV/Laser guided missile.

>Kh-31A/P for antiship and S/DEAD respectively

>KAB-1500Kr/L and KAB-500Kr/L TV/Laser guided bombs.

>Kh-59 Cruise Missiles, both TV/D-LINK Land Attack and AShM variants.

A wide arsenal of unguided weapons like:

>S-8, S-24, S-25 rockets (incl. S-25L)

>100kg, 250kg, and 500kg class bombs ranging from slicks, cluster, anti-runway, concrete penetrators, etc.

Sure, it won't be like the Mudhen, slinging 30 JDAMs at everything it sees, but just like our JF-17 it doesn't need to carry the entire PLAAF arsenal to be effective. And who knows, maybe the Chinese managed to upgrade some MKKs with their own weapon systems like the BRM Type 90s, LS-6 and GB-6? Maybe even PL-8, PL-10, PL-12?...

Edited by J20Stronk
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Mustang25 said:

Is a block 3 even feasible? I'm assuming AESA probably not but the other features maybe?

you are right, it's not feasible. But It's been pointed out many times that right now we have JF-17 Block 1 with some Block 2 features. So in future if get full block 2, then maybe be can have blk2 with some blk3 features

Edited by hamza_Khan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hamza_Khan said:

you are right, it's not feasible. But It's been pointed out many times that right now we have JF-17 Block 1 with some Block 2 features. So in future if get full block 2, then maybe be can have blk2 with some blk3 features

Good point! I hope we do see some of those upgrades from Deka, it would make an already great module even better!

• Like 1

Dont be scared to dream a little bigger. DCS and the whole combat flight sim market has been waiting for a modern redfor fighter for at least a decade. You releasing a satisfying one would put you on a level that no other developer could hope to achieve.

By releasing even a slightly modernized SU-30, you wouldnt just provide one of the most (if not the most) eagerly awaited modules in DCS, but you would also save the sim itself by providing all these new modern BLUFOR modules something to fight against, both in Multi- and Singleplayer.

Think about the long term advantages of this. EDs F-18 was just the beginning, what followed was a rush of nearly every single western fourth gen getting announced. The Flanker, Fulcrum and Foxhound family is even bigger.

Edited by Max1mus
  • Like 2

On 3/26/2021 at 3:15 PM, J20Stronk said:

Su-30s are no slouches when it comes to AG/AS.

MKK and MKK-2 can carry:

>Kh-29T/Ls TV/Laser guided missile.

>Kh-31A/P for antiship and S/DEAD respectively

>KAB-1500Kr/L and KAB-500Kr/L TV/Laser guided bombs.

>Kh-59 Cruise Missiles, both TV/D-LINK Land Attack and AShM variants.

A wide arsenal of unguided weapons like:

>S-8, S-24, S-25 rockets (incl. S-25L)

>100kg, 250kg, and 500kg class bombs ranging from slicks, cluster, anti-runway, concrete penetrators, etc.

Sure, it won't be like the Mudhen, slinging 30 JDAMs at everything it sees, but just like our JF-17 it doesn't need to carry the entire PLAAF arsenal to be effective. And who knows, maybe the Chinese managed to upgrade some MKKs with their own weapon systems like the BRM Type 90s, LS-6 and GB-6? Maybe even PL-8, PL-10, PL-12?...

I would argue that the anti-ship and maybe even anti-radar abilities of MKK are better than the strike eagles.

At Air to Air in a 2000s setup, without PL-12, it will be either slightly inferior or significantly inferior, depending on how much better R-27 performs with the MKK radar when compared to the current DCS flankers.

With PL-12, it will be either on par with or even superior to the strike eagle in Air to Air.

All this considered, MKK would range anywhere from very nice to AWESOME, either way its worth it, especially since no one else is moving a finger.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LCO489 said:

Considering the post title, it seens they have decided.

There's multiple ways to interpret this.

One could be-

"There's something we are cooking up for the Marianas (AI Asset), but it isn't the Su-30"

Or it could be-

"Our module is going to fit into the Marianas, and it won't be the Su-30"