Hi all, soon I will be able to upgrade my PC, and I was wondering what I should upgrade for the best results. My current specs are:

i7 4790k @ 4.0GHz, RTX 2070 Super 8gb, 16Gb DDR3 @ 1600MHz, and DCS is installed on my SSD.

I currently get anywhere from 35-55 fps depending on where I am on the map and what I am looking at.

Im assuming my bottleneck is not my card, and I am waiting to upgrade the motherboard for DDR4 as it will cost more (New RAM + Mobo). My current Mobo can, however, make use of 32gb ddr3.

Attached are my settings in DCS.

Thank you for the help :)

508369661_CurrentDCSSettings.thumb.png.d16cf726fb48abcd6a137d8f8f261d12.png

Hi all, soon I will be able to upgrade my PC, and I was wondering what I should upgrade for the best results. My current specs are:

i7 4790k @ 4.0GHz, RTX 2070 Super 8gb, 16Gb DDR3 @ 1600MHz, and DCS is installed on my SSD.

I currently get anywhere from 35-55 fps depending on where I am on the map and what I am looking at.

Im assuming my bottleneck is not my card, and I am waiting to upgrade the motherboard for DDR4 as it will cost more (New RAM + Mobo). My current Mobo can, however, make use of 32gb ddr3.

I went from something like you have to what you see below. I fly in VR and get 30-45ish FPS.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I have a very similar rig (3570k@4.4, 32GB 1600, 1080 8G) and get more than that in pancake mode, but much less in VR in 2.5.6. Comparing the settings:

attachment.php?attachmentid=227630&d=1581818401

I cranked vis distance up completely. Couldn't make out a big difference in high or the levels above that in framerate, but the visiblity gains.

Shadows at high as well.

No sort of AA at all - this eats valuable frames and IMHO isn't worth the return. But well, I've flown sims in the pixel age of 320x200 and I have no problem seeing them, albeit much smaller than back in the day. Anpther pro of having it off is a sharper picture, especially when it comes to spotting.

Lens effects off - just cosmetic, but I never liked those...

SSLR off - very important, this eats LOTS and brings very little!

Terrain Object Shadows to flat - this also bumps up the framerate a lot.

As for upgrading: I've got my 32GB and I'm happy with it, but I'm a no-pagefile guy. With one active (which is default and most people don't change that), DCS runs well enough in most cases, but might have occasional stutters when swapping. Just switching to DDR4 with a different mobo isn't worth it alone, the gain would be too little if it was noticable at all. In that case, you should get a new CPU of a newer gen (at least a used 6700k if it's an Intel) as well. You could also try to up your CPU clock some more... cranking mine from 3.4 to 4.4 made huge differences in DCS. And DCS likes every GHz...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

The following things severely impact the CPU.

Visibility Range

Shadows

Terrain Object Shadows

Trees Visibility

The following impact the GPU

Obviously resolution

MSAA

The following impacts system/gpu ram

Textures

Terrain textures

Preload radius

Definitely go for upgrading CPU/Mobo/RAM to start at least. Intel still the best just about for gaming/sims if you want that as a priority use for your machine. Ryzen's are nearly as good for this and better at just about everything else.

Go for as much as you can afford. New intel Z490 mobos and CPU's due to launch soon so will probably reduce the price of the Z390/i9 9900k which is very good for DCS. 32GB Ram also best, the price of this had come down lots, but not sure what covid has done to supplies and prices. i9 9900k needs a good cooler to get the best of of it. After that wait, save and then look to get into the 3000 series Nvidia cards which should be out later this year (or other brands) I'm waiting for the 3080ti, built my system October last year but didn't bother with the £1200 on a 2080ti due to the 3000 launch this year.

I run my shadows on low as very minimal difference IMAO and saves a bit on CPU.

EDIT: oh and you can then get NVMe storage/boot - very quick!

Edited by Hoirtel

The problem with upgrading from DDR3 to DDR4 is the compatibility issue of your MB and Proc, you wont get much performance if you upgrade only one of the pieces, cause the old parts will be slowing your system down.

Your i7 4970k can only support DDR3 memory sticks, it doesn't support DDR4, with max speed of 1600 to 2600 overclocked but those sticks are rare and expensive, so if you buy new DDR4 memory you will be wasting money, cause you wont get more than 1600MHz of speed anyway.

So lets turn it around, buy a new proc, can your MB handle it? You would probably have to buy a new one, and even after that... memory sticks are too slow :P

For example you got a great graphics card, it has great performance, but the problem is that that card is using only 20% of its potential since the memory and dragging behind it.

So try to figure out your budget to fit everything in, or if you are upgrading one piece per month or two maybe don't expect much of a change with only 1 piece of hardware upgraded.

The following things severely impact the CPU.

Visibility Range

Shadows

Terrain Object Shadows

Trees Visibility

The following impact the GPU

Obviously resolution

MSAA

The following impacts system/gpu ram

Textures

Terrain textures

Preload radius

This is an extremely helpful list! I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone break it down this way.

Thank You!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

You should turn off the SSLR, because it is a fps killer. Without the SSLR, you will get more 20~30fps.

Also, the terrain object shadow default is a fps killer when you are above the forest and the buildings, setting it to flat will get much better performance.

Edited by Cy-27