Cutting cockpit off from rest of the world

Quekel

As stated by FS2020.

Very high! Asobo and I have years of experience with VR. We know what a lazy and a good implementation look like. We want to bring a good solution, for example by cutting off the cockpit from the rest of the world. Then you can move freely in it, and the world in the background does not start to shimmer. We have started with VR, but we want to do it right.

Is this a possibility what ED could also look into?

While Quekel's post indeed is a bit unclear :D, I think he means something like this?

Personally I don't feel much for it, as it would require massive spendings on cockpit hardware, it would kill immersion when stepping in another cockpit and I rather see ED spend their time and money on other stuff.

But hey, each their own :thumbup:

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Actually, a lot of work being done on MR for military sims; think taking a full up dome sim and getting rid of the domes but keeping the cockpit. Pilot jumps in, puts on his helmet, and instead of the HMD he uses in the jet he puts on an MR visor - and now he can fly anywhere while still having access to his real cockpit controls, charts, checklists, etc.

Interestingly, I actually was involved in testing an early example of this concept (MR: Merged Reality) back in 1993 (!) that used fiber optics and a heavy helmet with see-through lenses, in a Luftwaffe Tornado simulator (mounted on a 6-DOF platform, to boot!). It was (for the time, compared to other available technologies) really impressive, but the helmets were really uncomfortable and stupidly expensive.

It does feel odd when you hold up your arm above the canopy rail and it disappears...

Vulture

"Merged Reality" I think it would be awesome idea my self. I don't think ED would start this though I believe if a person or a group of programmers wanted to be a third party like they do with aircraft that might work. Make a secondary program you can addon kind of thing. I been wondering on how much performance you would gain if you render only the map you fly and use a physical cockpit for flying in VR. Personally I would pay for extra program like that. Obviously I have great respect for ED and there beautiful work on the whole sim in its entirety. But wouldn't you think there would be some performance gains on map only flying?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]