[REPORTED]2.5.6.48283 F-16 Generator/Power issue

WingC3

Elec Sys failure on ramp

Hi there,

Myself and a mate having been running into an issue with the F-16. Hot Start on the ramp, after a while we both get an Elec Sys warning, the mdf's flicker and reboot. The warning will not go, and there's a Main PWR warning on the battery panel. The FCR doesn't boot back up and the INS alignment is lost. On this occasion for testing I joined the slot, and haven't touched anything bar navigating through some pages on the ded whist explaining some pages to someone. All previous times I've turned on things like the backup radio, rwr, plugged in some steerpoints. It always seems to happen around 20mins of sitting there.

An additional thing to note is that myself and my mate has also experienced it whilst taxing to the runway after sitting there for a bit.

The attached log shows nothing apparent, you can see I join the slot and sit there for about 20mins until it happens. I've also included a track file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ry7ml1gyleh2qrg/F16_elecSysFailure.zip?dl=0

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

I know its a band aid, but I think if you dont turn on your FCR it will not ever fail. Guy in my unit tried it and it never failed out. Once you turn it on and leaving it running it will fail while idle on the ground. Not extensively tested though. Food for thought.

I know its a band aid, but I think if you dont turn on your FCR it will not ever fail. Guy in my unit tried it and it never failed out. Once you turn it on and leaving it running it will fail while idle on the ground. Not extensively tested though. Food for thought.

Good to know, interesting find as the FCR shouldn't be really on. WOW prevents it from operating while on the ground.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

I can confirm as well. In fact, this issue has been around since the release of the Viper. I guess it has not been reported before because most people do not park their hot jet on the ground for that long. I did for several times because same as you, I was waiting for my friend or doing something else. And if this happens, the only option is to respawn in a new jet because shutting it down and restarting it won't help.

To ED: Honestly, the easiest way to recreate this is just simply parking the hot jet on the ground and wait for it to happen, and it will happen every time you do that.

• 3 weeks later...

F16 Possible Bug Avionics Failing

Hello All,

I am having this issue on Multiplayer servers, after starting the viper from a cold start. Sometimes when taxing to the runway and holding short for the rest of my wingmen to form up and be ready. I will get an elec system fault on the viper and INS fails, ADI goes to back up, TACAN goes off. Battery switch is still set to main I haven't touched anything. One time I switched from CAT 1 to 3 and I thought that caused it but haven't been able to reproduce. This happens on the ground after several minutes of sitting idle. Anyone encounter something similar?

I didn't read the other thread, but someone figured out that this is caused by having the probe heat switch on (back left of the cockpit). Turn that off until just before takeoff, and you'll be fine. I think it has a 30 minute timer on the ground before it's coded to fail in DCS.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I didn't read the other thread, but someone figured out that this is caused by having the probe heat switch on (back left of the cockpit). Turn that off until just before takeoff, and you'll be fine. I think it has a 30 minute timer on the ground before it's coded to fail in DCS.

I get the failure sitting on the ramp, and I don't touch the probe hit switch at all.

The probe heat switch should be left in the default position. There is no need to turn that on, the heater is powered on once the jet is off WOW.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Panther,

Set it to the off position, and the problem should go away. I don't think the DCS code uses WOW, in DCS, of the switch is on, then in 30 min on the ground it will fail your electrical system. This is the one on the back left of the cockpit.

We used to get this failure all the time until we went to the procedure of turning it off in preflight.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all.

Just wanted to add that this problem still exists and is quite annoying and highly reproducable.

Yesterday, on a 12 player COOP mission, the last flight to depart (with taxi time about 20-30 minutes into the mission), all four flight members suffered ELEC SYS fail simultaneously.

This messed up their INS so badly that the mission could not be flown.

Any chance of having a fix for this ASAP? Due to the nature of it breaking about 20-30 mins into the game, this has a seriously negative effect on the sim experience as the whole mission goes out of sync.

Currently flying:

A-10C | P-51D | F-86 | F-5E | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C |MiG-21Bis | Bf-109K

DCS-Flyable Wishlist Top-10:

F-16 MLU | F-104 | MiG-23 | AH-64 | A-6 | B-17G | F-4 | OV-10 | Lynx | NH-90

• ED Team

I do not have an ETA currently.

It has been suggested that turning the FCR off when on the ground will prevent this from happening

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hello all.

Just wanted to add that this problem still exists and is quite annoying and highly reproducable.

Yesterday, on a 12 player COOP mission, the last flight to depart (with taxi time about 20-30 minutes into the mission), all four flight members suffered ELEC SYS fail simultaneously.

This messed up their INS so badly that the mission could not be flown.

Any chance of having a fix for this ASAP? Due to the nature of it breaking about 20-30 mins into the game, this has a seriously negative effect on the sim experience as the whole mission goes out of sync.

Would a possible workaround be to use ground electrical power during the long wait, and only start up the engine when ready to taxi?

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

Turning the engine off starves cooling air from the ECS which would cause an overheat faster.

I agree in real life, but I don't think it's modeled that way. I'm just taking about a workaround.

Edited by Machalot
Typo

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."