EWR ranges

Tarres

1L13: range must be around 300km according to sources and ED encyclopedia.

In game, 120 km.

Related files: dbsensors and 1L13 LUAs. Both states 120000 (meters) as max range.

Same for 55G6, but range must be greater, around 400km.

Posible workaround until develop new IADS logic: review and update values in affected files. Tested with B-52 and other "big planes" at high altitude, no ecm and no evasive maneuvers.

For other "old radars" from FC mainly, seems a problem between data in metric (LUA) and gathered data for the sim in imperial.

This needs attention....

A bit off-topic, but this seems to be becoming a bigger and bigger problem occurring in different issues, where values can be adjusted and need fixing

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

I´ve a list of "seems easy to fix as a workaround" until proper IADS wiil be designed by the team.

From EWR to 64H6, Dog Ear, Gun Dish...

Mainly as I said the old ones from LOMAC/FC (legacy files)

Newer ones (SA-2, Silkworm) have values that seem OK.

When you play CMO/CMANO you can see the diferences quite fast.

Edited by Tarres

• 4 weeks later...

I have noticed this for a while.

Thanks for posting.

I have posted on the encyclopedia on other issues before. It need an update to reflect the actual lua values in game. The developers know what values they enter into lua files. So any lua change should generate an update to ranges and performance in the encyclopedia.

It is by no means a real life encyclopedia, but one of ingame values and numbers. MY thought on the subject. Feel free to have your own.

In any case, the raw data given here is some great work! Hope the developers update the encyclopedia if the lua is correct, and update lua if the encyclopedia is correct. And, you guessed it, update both if both are wrong.

I do not know much about this stuff, but guessing it would take one developer two days to adjust accordingly...We are talking radar ranges here, they are quite central to the game...

They do not need to be right on par with the real thing, but get close ish and have the same for ingame lua and for encyclopedia. Make mistakes and adjust later, fine, but have the same values in both places :)

Does the radars even use inverse square law properly? How much does the aircraft RCS modifiers affect the search results?

So long when we do not have acceptable radar modeling (resolutions, RPM, reaction times, communication network etc) then just changing a range doesn't make big difference. It does help but when we don't even have a Su-27 interflight datalink in MP, the EWR data is limited.

I am waiting that one day we would get a SAM Simulator in the DCS. So 3D modeled vans and vehicles, radar screens and all that.

I would even pay good money for each different SAM site/vehicles as a such or in series.

As IMHO there is a good source for some studio to develop a nice ground vehicle simulators for Combined Arms module.

At that point we would benefit a lot more about these long range radars when we could man them like a RIO in a F-14, staring a large radar screen and flipping switches etc, communicating with the others.

And Super Carrier would get their own radio and radar rooms etc.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Does the radars even use inverse square law properly? How much does the aircraft RCS modifiers affect the search results?

They use the radar equation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 2 weeks later...

Doing some test with the manufacturer value (320km) in last OB:

Caucasus Map, northen flat part. No mountain ranges.

C-17@cruise level: detected at 300km.

F-15E at low level: derected at 120-100km.

F-117 at low level: detected at 20-15km

With the normal values C17 and F-15E both detected at the same time at the same distance. Around 110km.