Cluster Bombs not Exploding?

I dropped two CBU-87s using CCRP, at two different altitudes (3000 ft then over 5000 ft) and I didn't see any explosions or damage. Are there profile settings that I need to apply? I set to Nose and the Invalid message went away. Not sure what else I missed.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

can you provide a track?

you won't see massive explosion unless it destroys something, but you should still see fragmentation type sparks when the bomblets detonate (although it seems underdone in game than IRL)

Hmm. I just watched a youtube video where he stated that these bombs don't have a nose fuse.

I tried in a quick mission and set it back to n/t and it worked.

This is in the Sturmovik campaign, in the first mission where they give you these. I'll have to load it back up and see if the profile settings are different.

Also in the quick mission I got to see what the little explosions look like. It's possible that was also it. The 87's don't seem to do much to armor, do they?

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

87's are for 'soft targets' like if you wanted to scratch up a Ford Pinto and won't do much more; the 'explosion' is less then enthusiastic.

For some awe-inspiring effects use the CBU-97 or the 105 on tanks at sundown; much more exhilarating!

Regarding what you wrote above, the altitude was probably below the HOF (Height of Function) as mentioned above; I usually find 6K is a good altitude. Using 105s it's fun to drop at above 10K; gives you a lot of time to maneuver and watch your handiwork

Edited by AvgWhiteGuy

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

there were some discussions about this concerning F18. so HOF is set at target elevation + HOF number? 1000 feet elevation + HOF 2000 would = 3000 feet when the munitions burst? say an A10 in some high elevation mountains the bombs would never work otherwise. burst would always be below the elevation of the target. i am correct? i am thinking marking the target elevation goes into the calculation.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

there were some discussions about this concerning F18. so HOF is set at target elevation + HOF number? 1000 feet elevation + HOF 2000 would = 3000 feet when the munitions burst? say an A10 in some high elevation mountains the bombs would never work otherwise. burst would always be below the elevation of the target. i am correct? i am thinking marking the target elevation goes into the calculation.

AFAIK HOF is triggered by a radar altimeter on the bomb it's self, so HOF is AGL.

It's easy to test, set HOF to 2000 ft and drop a 97/105 on a target @ 1000 ft MSL i.e. near Tbilisi.

IIRC you'll find the casing splits at ~2000 ft AGL and the 10x BLU-108 submunitions dispense a second or two later.

You can use Tacview or F6 to check.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080