New to DCS

SrSosio

Hi. I'm about to receive my brand new Logitech X56, and I was wondering about the viewing around the cockpit. How do you usually look around (when not using VR, obviously)? When I tried the game with the keyboard and mouse to see how it looks like and getting familiarized with some of the commands, you do that with the mouse, of course, but I wouldn't expect to have to remove my hand from the joystick to move around the mouse. Can the viewing around the cockpit be linked to one of the small joysticks in the stick, like the C-stick in the handle?

• ED Team

Hi

Welcome to DCS world and the forum.

Many use trackIR or freetrack devices, some use a joystick hat switches.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

By default looking around gets bound to 8way trim switches and thats what I use on the stick. I then add my modifier to trim controls for the trimming. On throttle I set up a 4way with zoom in/out slow, and zoom normal and view center to get back to default view.

If you're looking in the budget range for VR, see about tracking down a Windows Mixed Reality headset. They frequently sell for $200-300, integrate into Windows 10 by merely plugging them in and letting Windows do some automatic downloading (and downloading SteamVR and its WMR addon) and make a nice entry-level into VR. The problem, though, is I don't think anyone is making them anymore (except maybe Samsung) so they're getting harder to find.

I've been using an Asus Mixed Reality headset for about 18 month, but I wouldn't recommend them because of low build quality. (Asus has crap displays.) Samsung Odyssey+ might be your better bet.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

@Assamita X-56 is a very good grab. It's set up very close to the F16 and has a lot of hats, rotaries and switches. Good thing is it already says POV on the stick.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 4790K / EVGA 1080ti SC / 32GB DDR3 / 1TB SSD / Oculus Rift S / X-56 / MFG Crosswind V2 / ButtKicker + Simshaker for Aviators

Keep in mind that although lower-grade VR sets might not be far away from TrackIR in price department, they still do require much more powerful computer to make the most out of them. Depending on PC config you use right now, you might get away with it, or you might need to buy a new rig and this is where total cost can become an important issue.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Yes, I need to create a signature with my rig. I just built a budget one, but I think it would do the trick (maybe with some mora RAM).

- Tomahawk B450 Max

- Ryzen 5 3600

- Ripjaws 16Gb (2x8Gb) 3600mhz

- GeForce GTX 1070 G1 8Gb

Also, if your are going to play MP?

I still use my monitor 1440P and triackir, some still use Rift S and can see enough. If you plan to play online for a few hours, VR can be a real workout compared to Trackir, which accelerates the moment. I.E you can make it very easy to see backwards with little movement of the head.

1070 will struggle with VR, It's ok for the older first rift like I have (Lower Resolution). You will need fairly low settings and quite small missions to keep the frames at 45fps on the 1070. VR is really hard on the system.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

They often come up on EBay for a reasonable price, being sold by folks who switched to VR. Keep an eye out, because everything is better than a hat switch.

You might also read up on do-it-yourself TrackIR alternatives like Freetrack. They're almost free, because they still require some PS camera to be mounted on your monitor, and they do require some tinkering to make them work OK. Kind of like Windows vs Linux. One is more expensive but works out of the box, the other is free, but requires more effort to tweak it to your needs.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

dawgie79: "VR above TrackIR anytime."

While many will push the VR over TrackIR as it works great for them, it's certainly not for everyone. I for one have a really bad astigmatism, and prone to motion sickness which prevents me from playing with VR. After about 5 mins, I'm ready to vomit all over the keyboard. I recommend you try and test it out before investing. I spent $400 and didn't even get an hour's use out of it. Luckily the store was kind enough to give me a refund.

Assamita: "I've seen that the TrackIR is about $180? is it really worth it?"

As an alternative to VR, absolutely. I use to play much like you are now. Was night and day when I picked up a TrackIR. I also sit about 36" away from a 47" television as a monitor. At that range and size TV, I imagine it's almost like sitting in an actual cockpit. I've also adjusted the zoom so that it seems almost a 1:1 scale. I've set the TrackIR up so that when my nose is pointing to the edge of the screen I'm looking over my shoulder. Unlike VR, you almost have to break your neck to see the same thing. I've flown for hours with friends who use VR, and after two to three, they need a break as they will complain about their neck and shoulders hurting. They say much the same as David OC, in that VR can be a workout.

May consider it for the future then. Thanks for the info. I'll start with the hat switches and see if I can get my hands on a tracIR device

Do not forget that there are also solutions with USB camera - although they require some work. As I have TrackIR I have never tried them but people tell that they work equally well. Thus if you are somehow budget oriented - check this way.

If you buy TrackIR, take your time to set its placement, axis sensitivity curves etc. It may take a little time to get used to it (i remember that after the first evening with it I had nasty pain in the neck as I was trying to keep my view still. But 1-2 days more and some axis tweaking it became the 2nd nature).

But even TrackIR may be "no-go" for some people due to some eye or spine related issues - although so far I remember 1 case compared to several people having problems with VR.

Anyway, you'd want it even if you are not much interested in dogfight - that smooth coordination of your point of view with movement of the plane that goes through your brain (like driving car through the curve) makes it much more natural. Neither HAT nor any padlock works that well. As movement of your head tells your brain where you are looking and where the stick should go.

Hi. I'm about to receive my brand new Logitech X56, and I was wondering about the viewing around the cockpit. How do you usually look around (when not using VR, obviously)? When I tried the game with the keyboard and mouse to see how it looks like and getting familiarized with some of the commands, you do that with the mouse, of course, but I wouldn't expect to have to remove my hand from the joystick to move around the mouse. Can the viewing around the cockpit be linked to one of the small joysticks in the stick, like the C-stick in the handle?

hi you should join our discord we offer loads of training and advice and we got 2 dedicated servers for hosting training and missions.

https://discord.gg/WrKcWz