Devs we need a period of Glasnost! Transparency

LupinYonder

Magnitude 3/Leatherneck.

With repeated and undocumented changes to our favourite model, the Mig-21, it falls to dedicated fans of yours to reverse engineer your module for clues to what has changed and whether those changes are a move to more or less realism.

So many arguments, discussions, so much research and questioning could be settled with a better flow of information from and to you, the developers of our beloved Mig 21.

The most we seem to get is for poor Hiromachi to let us know issues are being looked at while having very little else information-wise to offer us.

Why is the situation like this?

Is it a language barrier?

Lack of time?

Fear of bad feedback from the forum?

We are all desperate to know what the ROADMAP is for the 21.

What problems do YOU the developers see with the FM and other systems ( if any )

How do YOU plan on fixing them if it is possible of if there are limitations we could be made aware of.

If other fans of the Mig-21 agree or have something to add, please comment. It would be amazing if there could be some progress on this issue of communication.

Thank you Magnitude 3/Leatherneck for your continued development of this old but much-loved moduel.

Like, we've seen the updated cockpit previews more than a year ago now, external model updates half a year ago. Why is this taking so long to finish? I understand their team is very small but this pace is really making me doubt purchasing the F4U or F8J in the future...

I feel the same. I was very excited when the F-8 was announced, but then, just like the progress on the MIG-21, devs are really quiet. Even the Corsair thats supposed to be on a good term, there are almost zero news. i keep coming here to seek news about the MIG-21 because i own it, but the lack of communication its disappointing.

Hrm, i was planning on buying the Mig-21...and i will make that decision at the end of the free month period. But the way it looks now with the dev silence and no way of knowing when the updates will come...i guess i will wait and see how Magnitude operates in the future before buying a module from them.

Hrm, i was planning on buying the Mig-21...and i will make that decision at the end of the free month period. But the way it looks now with the dev silence and no way of knowing when the updates will come...i guess i will wait and see how Magnitude operates in the future before buying a module from them.

Updates do come, just the information on them is little to none.

For its age it gets far more attention than any of EDs modules of a similar vintage.

I agree it's rather unfortunate to have very little news in total.

No problem if there is little to report really, although I'm sure we'd all appreciate a bit of a 'sign of life' now and then. «Still working on gunsight issue.»

Even more puzzling, though, is that sometimes changes to the module are being implemented but no news of that published. Nothing really in the ED changelog, no announcement in an official thread. I realise that M3 had a bit of trouble with the changelog previously, when they announced updates there but apparently barely missed the deadline and the actual changes had to wait one version down, but I'm sure most of us preferred that to the complete lack of announcements.

I agree. I can't understand why a handful of sentences each month is apparently too much. Just something written in 10 minutes like "This months, due to the ongoing Covid-19 crisis our work had to slow down considerably. X is still working on the F4U cockpit model, while Y has a look at several issues with the MiG-21 FM and will do XYZ next. ..."

Total silence is maybe acceptable if you don't have paid for products to support in a changing environment. But so you can only loose good will.

Edited by Cunctator

Thanks for the response, seems like we all agree that the updates the MiG has gotten recently give us hope but there is no information about the reasons or direction of the FM updates and core functionality of things like the ASP site for unguided missiles is broken or behaviour is inaccurate.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=270426

The work and research in this thread below is incredible! If we had some more information.from the Devs, most of it wouldn't have been needed. We would have known what aspects of the FM the Devs were working on and why, and what changes they had made based in what information.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=270121&page=7

Edited by LupinYonder

Probably nothing new that's ready to be reported.

Leatherneck had a pretty long update on the Mig21 roadmap in August

https://leatherneck-sim.com/2019/10/27/autumn-wind/

I think they are still on "stage 1" or beginning of "stage 2"

We should hopefully get another update sometime this Spring.

Looking back, Hiromachi still replying to bug fixes almost daily.

So they're still plugging away, but they don't have any exciting updates to share yet.

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

Sorry but...did you guys wake up now?

It's been like this for YEARS.

Those of us who have bought the MiG-21 when it first came out know this well.

FYI, at one point the plane coudl sustain 46 degrees of AoA, and that verison stayed for months! All along, including the prevoius version, you fly levelled with a negative AoA. The stall is g-loaded, which is against he laws of physics.

M3 can't code an FM, they are trying to figure out how to do it based on what was probably developed by the part of LN that became Heatblur.

I applaud the recent changes to the FM as a sign of life which was missing for some years, but yeah, that's not to say the FM is more realistic or anything. It's just yet another variation that's probably very wrong, just in different areas than before.

We will never know if and when the FM will be ok, because it changed too many times.

Sorry, but it is what it is.

Either LN hires some real FM coders, or someone rescues the MiG-21 by buying the rights.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

I came back to DCS after 4 Years of absence. Yesterday i tryed to fly the Mig21. I was shocked. Its not anymore the plane i remember. It was my first fidelity Module i bought. I bought it back than after release. So much bugs that makes it hard, the broken flight model. Im realy concerned about the future of this awesome bird.

What is a man if he loses his homeland? We, the pilots, must fly and take the first and the strongest impact of the aggressor on ourselves so we could save at least one child in this country.

Major Zoran Radosavljevic *26.02.1965 +26.03.1999

Legenda si bio, legenda ostao...

At the very least, they must know that sending out a one-sentence update every month saying something like "We're working on the FM" or "Bugfixes in progress; stay tuned!" will help their MiG-21 sales—even if it's 100% a lie.

The fact that they can't even manage to do the bare minimum signals to me that something is wrong over there.

I came back to DCS after 4 Years of absence. Yesterday i tryed to fly the Mig21. I was shocked. Its not anymore the plane i remember. It was my first fidelity Module i bought. I bought it back than after release. So much bugs that makes it hard, the broken flight model. Im realy concerned about the future of this awesome bird.

It has been like this for years. Nothing new for us who has been playing this game the 4 years that you have been gone.

Bugs are reported, Hiromachi acknowledge and forwards it to devs, then nothing really happens.

Then suddenly one patch comes wild changes to the flight model! Nothing in the patch notes or any news what they are aiming for or what M3 intentions with the changes are. Nothing.

Rather we as users have to find out for ourselfs what they have done.

Nothing new in regards to M3.

Its how they operate.

Been like this for years..

Buy the Mig-21 or the Eagle(or upcoming modules from M3) and deal with it.

It is a bit sad, yes but it is what it is i guess.

It comes with the package that is M3.

Edited by hovring

• 2 weeks later...