Course Knob Keybinds

mattag08

I'm writing this post outside the normal keybinds post in hopes that it gets some visibility and attention from HB. I was hoping to get an update on when a particularly important keybind is planning to be added to the game. Specifically the keybinds/axis for the HSD course knob (and really all the HSD/VDI knobs). This knob is very commonly used in navigation (it is fundamental for TACAN use).

The course knob is often used in a variety of situations where the pilot cannot be heads down or hands off the stick for a significant length of time such as Case I procedures, Case III procedures, TACAN rendezvous, TACAN navigation, TACAN approaches, etc. In some cases, this is due to the pilot needing to focus on flying the instruments very precisely (such as Case III) and any time spent away from the instrument scan can lead to deviations.

In other cases, a wingman may be attempting to remain in formation while setting his radios for an upcoming approach or recovery procedure. This is made difficult to impossible for two reasons:

1) The pilot must remove his hand from the stick (if right-handed) to pick up the mouse and adjust the knob. The course can take multiple seconds to set, which can lead to falling out of formation position. This can cause problems that range from very inconvenient to downright dangerous. Imagine a formation approach in IMC where the pilot must maintain sight of his lead or he will have to execute lost sight procedures and separate from the flight for safety. Same for Case III procedures.

2) The pilot must look away from his lead and stare at the knob in order to manipulate it with the mouse. This leads to a similar issue as #1, but even more dangerous. By looking away from his lead for a protracted period in parade formation he is risking a mid-air collision. Due to the nature of how the knob is programmed and the time required to use the mouse, it isn't possible to complete this task quickly without looking away from the flight leader.

In reality, this task is accomplished while flying formation or in IMC by using the left hand to turn the knob while the right hand continues to fly. Additionally, the pilot moves the knob by feel and only takes quick peeks to see how close he is to the correct radial he wishes to select. This way he can maintain sight of lead or continue his instrument scan and cross-checking his instruments. Currently this technique is not possible for pilots of the DCS: F-14B due to the lack of keybinds.

Please add this keybind as soon as possible. I have been waiting since Day 1 for it and I'm sure there are other pilots who fly this aircraft at a similar level who have similar frustrations. As someone who was already very familiar with naval ops and procedures from flying the F/A-18C before the launch of the F-14, I was amazed to find some of these critical, obvious keybinds missing. These are not arbitrary, but very useful for many players who have a variety of home cockpit, HOTAS, and other peripherals that could utilize them if they existed.

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

Would this help until proper support comes?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3877480&postcount=118

Add to "C:\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\F14\Input\F-14B-Pilot\keyboard\default.lua":

{pressed=device_commands.HSD_Knob_Course, 	up=device_commands.HSD_Knob_Course, 	cockpit_device_id=devices.HSD, value_pressed=0.0028, 	value_up=0.0, 							name=_('HSD: Course Knob [+1° very fine] - CW'), 				category=_('[19_CTR] HSD (Horizontal Situation Display')}, -- *** CUSTOM ***
{pressed=device_commands.HSD_Knob_Course, 	up=device_commands.HSD_Knob_Course, 	cockpit_device_id=devices.HSD, value_pressed=-0.0028, 	value_up=0.0, 							name=_('HSD: Course Knob [-1° very fine] - CCW'), 				category=_('[19_CTR] HSD (Horizontal Situation Display')}, -- *** CUSTOM ***
{pressed=device_commands.HSD_Knob_Heading, 	up=device_commands.HSD_Knob_Heading, 	cockpit_device_id=devices.HSD, value_pressed=0.0028, 	value_up=0.0, 							name=_('HSD: Heading Knob [+1° very fine] - CW'), 				category=_('[19_CTR] HSD (Horizontal Situation Display')}, -- *** CUSTOM ***
{pressed=device_commands.HSD_Knob_Heading, 	up=device_commands.HSD_Knob_Heading, 	cockpit_device_id=devices.HSD, value_pressed=-0.0028, 	value_up=0.0, 							name=_('HSD: Heading Knob [-1° very fine] - CCW'), 				category=_('[19_CTR] HSD (Horizontal Situation Display')}, -- *** CUSTOM ***

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/30/2020 at 5:25 AM, Bearfoot said:

Would this help until proper support comes?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3877480&postcount=118

Add to "C:\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\F14\Input\F-14B-Pilot\keyboard\default.lua":

{pressed=device_commands.HSD_Knob_Course, 	up=device_commands.HSD_Knob_Course, 	cockpit_device_id=devices.HSD, value_pressed=0.0028, 	value_up=0.0, 							name=_('HSD: Course Knob [+1° very fine] - CW'), 				category=_('[19_CTR] HSD (Horizontal Situation Display')}, -- *** CUSTOM ***
{pressed=device_commands.HSD_Knob_Course, 	up=device_commands.HSD_Knob_Course, 	cockpit_device_id=devices.HSD, value_pressed=-0.0028, 	value_up=0.0, 							name=_('HSD: Course Knob [-1° very fine] - CCW'), 				category=_('[19_CTR] HSD (Horizontal Situation Display')}, -- *** CUSTOM ***
{pressed=device_commands.HSD_Knob_Heading, 	up=device_commands.HSD_Knob_Heading, 	cockpit_device_id=devices.HSD, value_pressed=0.0028, 	value_up=0.0, 							name=_('HSD: Heading Knob [+1° very fine] - CW'), 				category=_('[19_CTR] HSD (Horizontal Situation Display')}, -- *** CUSTOM ***
{pressed=device_commands.HSD_Knob_Heading, 	up=device_commands.HSD_Knob_Heading, 	cockpit_device_id=devices.HSD, value_pressed=-0.0028, 	value_up=0.0, 							name=_('HSD: Heading Knob [-1° very fine] - CCW'), 				category=_('[19_CTR] HSD (Horizontal Situation Display')}, -- *** CUSTOM ***

Once I add this to the LUA, how do I then bind it to my Virpil throttle?

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

3 hours ago, Bearfoot said:

It should appear as a row in the control setup page.

Excellent! What will the command be called? I can bind it to a rotary knob on my Virpil right?

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

37 minutes ago, GunSlingerAUS said:

Excellent! What will the command be called? I can bind it to a rotary knob on my Virpil right?

You know, I don't know. I've never actually done it myself. I imagine it will turn up if you search for "HSD" or under the category "HSD" based on the Lua. And if it is an axis bind, you should be able to bind it to any axis.

2 minutes ago, Bearfoot said:

You know, I don't know. I've never actually done it myself. I imagine it will turn up if you search for "HSD" or under the category "HSD" based on the Lua. And if it is an axis bind, you should be able to bind it to any axis.

Ok, I'll update tomorrow when I set this up. Thanks for your help. 

It's right in the lines you added :

HSD: Course Knob [+1° very fine] - CW
HSD: Course Knob [-1° very fine] - CCW
HSD: Heading Knob [+1° very fine] - CW
HSD: Heading Knob [-1° very fine] - CCW

And it looks to be a button/encoder not an axis in that.

Edited by RustBelt

• 2 months later...
On 12/18/2020 at 4:02 AM, RustBelt said:

It's right in the lines you added :

HSD: Course Knob [+1° very fine] - CW

HSD: Course Knob [-1° very fine] - CCW

HSD: Heading Knob [+1° very fine] - CW

HSD: Heading Knob [-1° very fine] - CCW

And it looks to be a button/encoder not an axis in that.

It is likely an encoder in real life.

@HB, any updates on getting this keybind added?

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...