Laser guided rockets

GIGA_HORSE

but the very unique vikhr's corkscrew flight path is due to the beam riding sensor mechanism

The whirld (Vikhr) flight is because two rocket boosters at the sides, and then the two half-circle shaped control wings at rear. The Vikhr missile is made purposely to rotate as it made its control design easier as you can just steer missile with two control surfaces instead four.

Nothing about beam riding guidance but just the design make Vikhr simpler, cheaper and more accurate.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

But do BDRM rockets spin? I can understand they rotate to stabilize the flight path, that's common among airborne rocket launchers, but the very unique vikhr's corkscrew flight path is due to the beam riding sensor mechanism

The beam riding and single axis control of a rolling airframe are not intertwined, look st the Naval rolling airframe missile, it is infrared homing.

The BRM-1 90 is a rolling airframe with one axis of control, but SALH, which is not a scheme currently coded in DCS

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

There are laser rockets already in-game in the su25

Of course, completely forgot about Su25 laser guided rockets, other that vikhrs.

I think BRMs spin, but even if they don't. It doesn't matter, they are but beam riding IRL. In game, because they are not beam riding, their accuracy is poor when angle between you and target is high, they tend to overshoot.

Here is the link

, it's around 50th min

Since the last patch BRMs are virutally unusable, unless you fly straight and slow with flaps @ 200-250 knots till the missile hits to provide clearance from the anti-air engagement range of at least 3-4NM. Higher speed will make you enter AA range before missile hits. And any manuevers at high speed or at high aspect towards the riding beam after shooting will cause a miss. That was not the case before.

Edited by Shiz

Since the last patch BRMs are virutally unusable, unless you fly straight and slow with flaps @ 200-250 knots till the missile hits to provide clearance from the anti-air engagement range of at least 3-4NM. Higher speed will make you enter AA range before missile hits. And any manuevers at high speed or at high aspect towards the riding beam after shooting will cause a miss. That was not the case before.
Yup, it was really a bad idea to make a changed without being tested throughly. It ruined players gameplay.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

I had better luck coming in at a steep angle.

The missiles seem not to be flying fast enough, which is why they seem to be struggling.

Anyone checked the speed in F6?

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

• 4 weeks later...

Just tried it again after newest patch and it seem the rocket still having hard time chasing the laser spot, not as bad as before but still it missed alot. I really missed the old rockets FM. Quite dissapointed tbh.

Is this BRM-1 90 flight model still WIP or regarded as finished?

Thanks

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

It is curious that they prioritised spin stabilisation over the correct laser guidance method.

Beam riding vs SALH has a significant impact on the usability of the weapon (specifically being less able to break away from the target without affecting missile range). Whereas the spin stabilisation is not something you really observe unless in F6 view.

I'm sure there are some aerodynamic concerns towards the edge of the BRMs envelope as it slows it's speed and hence spin, but we are talking about an Air to ground munition (not the sacred cows of Air to Air), so some abstraction to give it a realistic max range in order to give it a more realistic guidance behaviour would be preferable.

It's still using beam riding scheme at the moment, and if you treat it like the beam riding, the BRM should work fine within 4.8NM

This may sound sarcastic but it’s not I’m actually curious as to what you mean by treat it like beam riding?

This may sound sarcastic but it’s not I’m actually curious as to what you mean by treat it like beam riding?

Think of this:

1. Beam riding weapon have to keep inside the guidance beam or it will miss.

If the beam moved, the weapon have to follow to maintain inside the beam.

2.Any hard deviation on original launch path will move the guidance beam away(the LOS from TGP to target), the BRM have to use energy to follow up, to try keep inside the beam.

3.If BRM use too much energy to follow the beam, it will have less energy for terminal flight and corrections.

Then, MISS.

Deka Ironwork Tester Team