Forming pit building group in CA for BS

rocketeer

It looks like you are using cat5e cable. i've just switched from a 20/7 cable to this, which is 24/8. my fdt card is grouped into 8 inputs per group, so using a 24/8 cable matches the grouping. I add a black wire for ground, so total will be 9 wires per group.

Glad to see that you have gotten a bunch of switches. Have you gotten the KE72 card yet?

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a need to run a long cable, and want a way to quickly detach the switches from the IO card, then you can do this below. I put my IO cards on a table for easy wiring and troubleshooting. The switches from the pit is a distance away. Soon I'd be running many cables to the table. So I have a short cable with 9 pins female connector to the switches. And then it connects to the longer cable with 9 pins male connector which runs to the table. Something like this.

47b8dc32b3127cceb54d63ec94d700000036100ScNmLhy4Ym

47b8dc32b3127cceb54d63e494df00000036100ScNmLhy4Ym

The pins are crimp type so no soldering is required for both the male and female connectors.

I am using a CAT 6 cable not much diffrance thou. Nop havent got the board yeat. I have goten sick and not back to work yeat.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

Looking good you guys, I feel like I havent even gotten started yet (which I havent). I have a lot of catching up to do and no time to catch up. A few more weeks of solid house work and hopefully I'll find the time to get started. I did finally get pics of those racks yesterday so I'll try an find the time to email them to one of you and maybe whoever gets it can forward it to the other. I just havent had the time to get to them or get them to you two.

And I was going thru my warehouse the other day at work and I have a bench mounted magnifying glass with built in light if either of you want it. I'll let you guys fight it out but I will come across more as time goes on!

I have one of thoes already. rocketeer you can have it if you want it. If not I will take it.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

MartianBaker.jpgACESIIrepresentaton.jpg

I've been doing quite a lot of research concerning ejection seats in the last 3 or 4 days and have come up with some very interesting information...

I just as I suspected the Aces II ejection seat that the F-16 uses is quite a bit different then the Martin Baker SJU-5/A that the F/A-18 ABCD uses...

The Martin Baker is pictured on the Left and the ACE's is on the right...

I found some very detailed information concerning the ACE's here at this sight http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=2164.0 .. especially some free plans for constructing a seat from SpeedOne.. and his plans are free take a look at the link...

These same methods can be applied to building a SJU-5/A, although this build is going to be a lot more complicated as I'm going to go into detail... Notice that the Rocket motor equipment and drouge chute gun are actually hidden on the ACE's but are exposed on the SUJ...

I'm actually planning on representing all of the ejection devices with PVC piping.. all though I think that on some of the custom fittings I'm going to have to hand carve... The fittings for the these I guess will be a mixture of PVC, wood, epoxy and Bondo... And of course some will be aircraft fittings with plain brake lines along with braided metal line ...

I'm now beginning that process of drawing up some plans for the build... I think that the hardest thing will be getting all of the measurements right so that it will be the proper size...

I'm sure that this is going to be a long process and should be fun....

OK so that's a little update ..

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Yes I will build the side's as well... that'll be after completeing the seat, I'm going to take it one step at a time though.. If I try to do too many things at once it might get a little out of hand ...

frontcockpit.jpg

The front cockpit has 5 screens LDDI, RDDI, Engine/Fuel Display, a Multi Purpose Color Display, and the small radar scope.. So thats a lot of screens and will be very costly to simulat as well as time consumming to hard wire and set up.... this will be a long installation so it'll certainly have to wait till last...

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Hey blaze!

I have this awesome book that shows me what every button does, however, I don't know which one turns on and off the radar. There is this erase button at the top on the MFD that says erase. Is this it?

maybe we could share info, but then again, I'm not going for absolute realism, just a representative cockpit.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Indeed, you should share info with Aeroscout. He's interested in building sort of a F-18 pit as well.

Have you chosen your interface solution? Opencockpits? Besides switches and buttons, are you planning output stuff like LEDs, 7 segments displays? Servos for gauges? Will your panels have backlighting? Lots of things to consider during this planning stage. Feel free to bounce ideas with us.

For Blaze

This site appears to have some awesome stuff. You have to call them for pricing, but it looks promising. They have sticks and throttles for damn near everything. (well, American aircraft. not Russian) I'd imagine they'd be quite expensive, but if you discover the price, please tell us.

http://hirevsims.com/

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Hey guys.. I just had a sneak in here to remind you all that my offer to Gromlich is extended to you all..! I have a K-36D seat originally buildt for a Su-25 Pit (an ended project), and anyone who want's it are free to take it..!

Ps. I do live in Norway BTW.. So you'll have to figure out how to get it home..

"But (504)Brewber said they were'nt friendly.. So I took'em out.!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok I figured out how to turn the radio shack rotary switch (275-1386) 2-pole*6-position in to a 12 position switch. There is a tab that if you bend it down to miss the stop blocks, It will alow it to spin 360 and to all 12 poles. Now is the hard part. There are 2 grounding poles, one needs to be disabled or you will get 2 switch actvation's with each click. A small set of needel nose plyers and some time you can wedge off one of the conectors. Then you are ready to place and wire it up.

picture49aqj5.th.jpg

Edit: their are 2 grounding post on the botom middle. both need to be grounded for it to work.

Good job, CAT. I didn't know Radio Shack has rotary switches, at least not from the shops. Did you get it online? An easier way is to get the rotary switches from NKK, which allows you to set the number of stops you want, by setting a base plate to the pole number. Don't know if it costs more though.

Anyway, I think most of the switches in the BS cockpit require 4 or 8 positions. And I think we'd require more rotary switches than encoders.

So I got my rotery switch mounted. Now I just need some more. Due to the thicker .220" Plexyglass that I am using, I had to drill the 3/8th's hole thin dril out the top with a larger bit for the nut to sit in. As the threds are the same hight as the plexyglass is thick. And yes I know it is not the right knob. Just using it for testing.

picture51mb5.th.jpg picture52ei2.th.jpg

And I have finished building the main part of the dash consol using TriggerHappy's desine. Althoe I did have to make a change to how my X52 was mounted, Due to the fact that it is not a custom stick.

picture55lg3.th.jpg

Cool stuff, are those rotary encoders or rotary switches? I'm under the impression that rotary encoders need a special card to work and that rotary switches (is it a pulse switch?) can work in place of the encoders like regular switches. Is that right or do I have the wrong idea?

This would be a cool addition to the project for my old logitech wingman joystick. That way I could have a few switches, trim pots and maybe a rotary for selecting flaps.

Man I'm eager to get started on my project, just gotta get out of under all the house work. My wife and I finished painting and most fix it projects now we just have to move in this weekend and I have to tile a shower, yay! Cant wait to get my garage set up all the way now, and to pull out all my tools that have been hiding while living with the inlaws!

Cool stuff, are those rotary encoders or rotary switches? I'm under the impression that rotary encoders need a special card to work and that rotary switches (is it a pulse switch?) can work in place of the encoders like regular switches. Is that right or do I have the wrong idea?

This would be a cool addition to the project for my old logitech wingman joystick. That way I could have a few switches, trim pots and maybe a rotary for selecting flaps.

It is a rotary switch. and no it is not a pulse switch. If you look at the second pic you can see the bottom of the switch. It has 2 ground post and 12 positave post. So you culd wire 1-12 switches to that rotary. Or if you want to make a puls switch out of it 12 grounds and a positave to both the cinter post. it would give the same command no matter the position. would act like hitting the cycle weapons key over and over agin.

But you don't need a rotery encoder for this, just a key board emulator like the rest of your switches.

Gentlemen,

This is a great thread. I read it all the time looking for new ideas and get them often. I had a question. What are you using for a collective? I have a x52, but that is not the same as a nice twist throttle and all the things that go alone with it. I just thought you guys would know if there is a better way. Thanks again for all the great ideas.

Hammer97 / Hendo97

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Processor Intel®I7 950, 3.06 Mhz, 4 Core(s)/

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit/ Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB/ HD 6870 1GB DDR5/ 750w PSU/T IR 4/TH Warthog

Gentlemen,

What are you using for a collective? I have a x52, but that is not the same as a nice twist throttle and all the things that go alone with it. I just thought you guys would know if there is a better way.

Just using the X52 for now. When I build my AH64 pit I will have custom controls. If you look in the tech forum there are a few ideas to mod the X52.

I have a question concerning enabling the UFCD for the F/A-18...

As you can see by the picture when pressing the AP button (auto pilot) on the touch screen it automatically changes to a sub menu for programming additional functions..

Does anyone know if this can be setup using touch buddy or does TB technology only use a mylar applique with only one main screen?

UFCDAutopilot.jpg

any ideas will certainly be helpful in accomplishing this fuction..

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

TB only have the screans that you creat. If you make a second screan that reflects the change. That would be your only opition that I kno of. But you have to kake it work the way you want. All about thoes programing skills and your emagnation.

Is that Jane's F-18?

Thanks Cat... I guess the touch Buddie Guys don't visit this forum that often these days...

Let me check over at their forum, and I'll get back here later regarding any new findings ...

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR