Throttle choice

Hi folks!

Time for me to at last get a real hotas, and as for grips I am well conviced by Virpil or Vkb ones, I struggle deciding about throttle....

For example why would I take a new Virpil one instead of the well known Warthog one, which has idle and AB detents? I never really cared about AB detents but that probably adds a lot of immersion, as for the idle detents in cold start?

What would you choose? Do you care about detents ? Is there something the Warthog really lacks?

Thanks!

I have only tried (and still use) the Warthog so cannot compare it to others.

I definitely like the detents

The only issue I have had is with the TDC control being vague. Along with a lot of other users I have resolved this using the Deltasim upgrade kit.

I have both VKB and Virpil bases and grips (along with Thrustmaster grips) - have the VKB set up for helicopters and the Virpil base for fixed wing as it has compatability with the Thrustmaster grips without the need for any internal mods.

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Warthog:

-Longer throw

-Swappable detente options

-Better button response than Virpil throttle

-Slew stick sucks so need to do the easy modification by DeltaSim Electronics.

-Far less button options than Virpil throttle.

Virpil:

-Shorter throw

-No detentes and aftermarket solutions are shoddy right now, but could change but due to design, won't ever be better than Warthog options on Shapeways.

-Far more button options than Warthog and has rotaries, etc.

-Buttons not as responsive as Warthog imo

In the end, one is not better than the other outside of what one is looking for in a throttle. I would like a marriage of both some day.

Warthog for me on the Throttle. Have had mine for some time and it serves me well.

Idle/Off and AB detents are a must have for me.

If someone like VKB offered a throttle with the above I would have to take a serious look at getting one.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Is the tdc a true analogue slew input by the way for stock warthog ? I'm used to tdc through a old 4 way hat so I could really enjoy the upgrade :p

It is true analogue.

Win10 x64 | ASUS Z390 E - Gaming | Watercooled Der8auer i7-8700K @ 5.0Ghz| 32 GB 3200MHz GSkill Trident Z | Watercooled GTX 1080 Ti | 4 x SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs |3 x Stream Deck XL, | TrackIR |

A10C | F/A-18C | F-14B | FC3 | F-5E | F-16C | AV-8B | M-2000C | AJS-37 Viggen | F-86F Sabre | MiG-21bis | MiG-15bis | Black Shark 2 | UH-1H | Persian Gulf | Nevada NTTR

What made Virpil think that detents weren't needed?

Reported wear issues with the physical detents leading to potential mechanical failure. There are probably older posts on this forum about it if you care enough to search. Virpil apparently considered it a big enough risk to long term use to discontinue making the throttles with detents.

They do offer a programmable virtual detent option that works just fine. While not ideal, it is better than nothing if a detent is required and you want the other features the CM2 offers (eg more analog axes and hats/buttons on the grip than the WH).

The community is already making 3D printed finger-lift detents for the first gen throttle (the one with the larger base that is no longer sold). It’s only a matter of time before the same add-on option exists for the CM2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sold my Gen 1 Virpil after hearing about the detent failures, and didn't like the constant changes making a 2 month old throttle instantly obsolete. I also wasn't to thrilled with the plastic parts in the Warhog. I had to grind my teeth and go with the more expensive Winwing. 100% realism, detents and all!

gallery_34981_4626_92920.jpg

100% realism, detents and all!

Only for the right plane:smilewink:

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Only for the right plane:smilewink:

True that! But. it will always be a compromise in that regard. You have to pick for your favorite jet, and just make the others "work" as well as possible. Thank goodness my pick is the FA18