two days of downloading and now no update available

************ FINALLY********** Everything is working great now and I want to thank all of the people who helped Me getting things back to normal.

My pc was down for a whole month, waiting for water cooling parts and tubing and I finally

was able to get it running. I live up on a mountain and am lucky to have any internet, but

My download speeds are about 400 KBPS and I just spent two days downloading

Ver 41962 to 47224. I have two SSD drives with DCS Beta on both ( back up is good )

and I was almost finished with the download and I was playing DCS on the other SSD

when I hit some weird buttons and it stopped the DL and asked me if I wanted to try

the other type..... HTTP VS Torrent or whatever, and I said no.

Is there anything I could have done ???

had I said yes to the update using the other function, I thought it would make me start over from the beginning

and so I had hoped that I could just go back to updater GUI utility and pick up where I left off ?

So I just ran DCS on 1st slot SSD and on the far right side, it did say 47224, so at least I have one updated version.

The other SSD says version 41962, so the almost finished update failed. When I checked the GUI Util, it wont update and says 41371 and not 41962

I am doing a repair, so another two days and I bet it will say 41962 is fine but I cant update to newest one.

Any help would be much appreciated. Sure does feel great to fly again instead of just going on Youtube and watching others !!!!

****************************************************************************************************************************

I can only imagine how much it cost for electricity to run My PC for two days to download something. Still downloading

dcs logs.pdf

disabled updater button.txt

Edited by ctguy1955
Fixed problem

DCS World is one of the few games that don't need to be reinstalled from scratch .. ever.

That's because of its wonderful DCS_Updater.exe utility, that compares what files you have on your hard drive, with the official list of files at ED's Servers, and then downloads just the files that are missing or corrupt, saving a lot of time versus downloading everything again.

I have updated my PC several times over the last 7 years, and not once have I needed to reinstall from scratch .. I just run "DCS_Updater Repair" and it fixes DCS for me.

I should have given this advice 4 days ago, but for some reason didnt notice this thread back then .. sorry.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• ED Team
That's because of its wonderful DCS_Updater.exe utility

Thank you for your kind words! Much appreciated :)

Indeed, it works the way you describe. Even the updates and switches to a different branch work this way: it takes what it has and downloads only what's changed or missing.

(By the secret: repair is technically just an update to the same very version ;)

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Indeed, it works the way you describe...

:) hi, didnt knew that you were behind that software, I tought your fields were sound and networking :thumbup:

Windows and common games have got people used to this "install from scratch" syndrome... without realizing that DCS is not like that at all .. fortunately, as reinstalling from scratch a 100+ GB game could be painful if it had to be done more than once on a lifetime. :smartass:

Cheers,

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

I am quite new to these threads but following your discussion one question popped up that could be useful to me and others. If you wanted to move your DCS to a bigger SSD, could you copy your Eagle Dynamics Dir to the new SSD and make a repair instead of a full download to the new SSD?

... If you wanted to move your DCS to a bigger SSD, could you copy your Eagle Dynamics Dir to the new SSD and make a repair instead of a full download to the new SSD?

Yes, correct, just move the DCS Folder to the new drive .. you dont even need to do a repair unless you suspect some files are damaged or corrupt.

@c0ff, do I need to edit a Registry key to update the current path of DCS, or it isn't really needed? (I don't have the DCS path on my current Registry, and dont see any adverse effects).

DCS World is one of the few games that don't need to be reinstalled from scratch .. ever.

That's because of its wonderful DCS_Updater.exe utility, that compares what files you have on your hard drive, with the official list of files at ED's Servers, and then downloads just the files that are missing or corrupt, saving a lot of time versus downloading everything again.

I have updated my PC several times over the last 7 years, and not once have I needed to reinstall from scratch .. I just run "DCS_Updater Repair" and it fixes DCS for me.

I should have given this advice 4 days ago, but for some reason didnt notice this thread back then .. sorry.

well if You looked at my photos, You will see the GUI updater was messed up. Says I have

one version and wont update or repair. Now my new download starts out at 8 megs per

second, and goes down to 320 KBPS an hour later. It will take me a day and a half

just to get one map and two planes, then I have to DL all the maps and planes and that

will take another day or so. I live way out in the country and internet is slow, and frontier

does not throttle or cap downloads. I usually have no problems and after not having

My Pc for a month as I was upgrading parts and waiting for coolant and tubing to arrive.

It felt so great to fly for a few days and not just watch others on Youtube.

Thank You for Your help

Mike

Edited by ctguy1955
repair would just do a slow 5 gig download like update

well if You looked at my photos, You will see the GUI updater was messed up. Says I have

one version and wont update or repair.

Sorry, I didn't comment on those as I never use Skatezilla's Utility, as I prefer the native tool DCS_Updater.exe

I'm sure that 99% of the time the GUI utility works fine, but I prefer to do things manually as this allows me to understand better what I'm doing, instead of letting a GUI hide the details.

Now my new download starts out at 8 megs per

second, and goes down to 320 KBPS an hour later.

Looks like your Internet Service Provider may be doing some traffic shaping and throttling back torrent traffic, have you tried to use HTTP instead of Torrent?

Eduardo.

• ED Team
@c0ff, do I need to edit a Registry key to update the current path of DCS, or it isn't really needed? (I don't have the DCS path on my current Registry, and dont see any adverse effects).

It's useful if you happen to have more than 1 DCS install, like the release and the openbeta.

They will cherry pick the files from each other when appropriate.

The updater does search for the files in all DCS installs it can find, before downloading.

It even tries the default Steam library if present. (No way to use additional Steam libraries w/o parsing they weird config format, though).

This way the most up-to-date copy serves as a local file library for others.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

I am posting this here as well, as I have in another post.

"I am also facing utterly slow downloads.... Sometimes no more than 150Kb p/s. And that its when my other downloads runs at 25MB p/s. Any way ED can just make the base install available somewhere else?"

Answer I got from BIGNEWY:

"We are trialling new delivery systems currently.

Can you tell me what part of the world you are in?"

Answer I sent:

"Hi. I am in South Africa

I just purchased some modules, campaigns and terrain, and it is downloading at between 350 and 700kb/s. That is for around 32GB.

Normal download speed for me is 25MB/s and for torrents usually between 5MB/s and 23MB/s"

Anyway, we do not have the choice anymore of torrent or http.

And my ISP does not throttle or shape torrents or any p2p downloads.

Pieter

logs

Indeed, it works the way you describe. Even the updates and switches to a different branch work this way: it takes what it has and downloads only what's changed or missing.

(By the secret: repair is technically just an update to the same very version ;)

I did send a PM but some security thing prevented it from sending.

Hope this will help

I am posting new and old log, I just read where my trying to use standard mods

in open beta is why its not working.

dcs.txt

Is is obvious from your screenshot, that the updater operates on drive C: - not enough space indeed.

I don't understand why it would repair to C drive when DCS is on F and J ?

Well that explains why all the updates don't work is there a way that I can change that ? I used to have everything on the one TB drive and when I did a OS update I lost everything.

I then heard that a smaller HD for C drive would allow for much faster actions when the OS is running as it takes it less time to search for things. What if I changed the DCS saved game folders to the 1 TB drive ???

Thanks

https://youtu.be/PjMW6--1hZE

I just made this youtube video showing how GUI wont

load things but if I go into folders it does. darn thing is in 480 and not HD and is hard to see version numbers on bottom right when DCS starts

Edited by ctguy1955

I then heard that a smaller HD for C drive would allow for much faster actions when the OS is running as it takes it less time to search for things.

That's not correct, Windows doesnt need to do sequential searchs to find its files, as the disks have indexes for this task.

indexing info

That's not correct, Windows doesnt need to do sequential searchs to find its files, as the disks have indexes for this task.

Thank You for that info.... I used the 1tb SSD to do a backup of win 10 and its only 113 gigs. I then tried to make the backup on the 1 tb the C drive and it wont let me.

I ordered a TP-Link load balancing router and will hook up My wifes and My modem/routers and get twice the DL speed !

Thanks Rudel_chw

Edited by ctguy1955

I am posting this here as well, as I have in another post.

"I am also facing utterly slow downloads.... Sometimes no more than 150Kb p/s. And that its when my other downloads runs at 25MB p/s. Any way ED can just make the base install available somewhere else?"

Answer I got from BIGNEWY:

"We are trialling new delivery systems currently.

Can you tell me what part of the world you are in?"

Answer I sent:

"Hi. I am in South Africa

I just purchased some modules, campaigns and terrain, and it is downloading at between 350 and 700kb/s. That is for around 32GB.

Normal download speed for me is 25MB/s and for torrents usually between 5MB/s and 23MB/s"

Pieter

How lucky You are to have 5-23 MBps. The highest I get in the mountains of TN

is 7.7 Mbps which is 700K and under one meg per sec. I just bought a TP-Link

load balancing router and will hook up My Wife's and My router to it and double

my download speed to 1.4 MBps.