Radar tracking

Dannyvandelft

Was doing a mission on the campaign, lots of enemy fighters in the air in front of me judging by the RWR, AWACS, and Jester calling them out.

But, none of them were on the radar scope. Just friendlies, steerpoints, but no enemies. Couldn't fire a single phoenix until I was in range to do PAL. At which time i had multiple planes firing multiple missiles at me.

And, even though they were dead ahead in the center of my HUD, lock kept dropping.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Are you sure your radar was pointed at them? They were not notching or outside the filter? Could you reproduce it and send us a track please?

EDIT: by "pointed at them" I mean that they were well within the cone of your radar, not just generally in their direction. depending on settings the cone can be quite narrow and shallow and the closer you get, the greater deviations will matter in contacts dropping out of the cone.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Are you sure your radar was pointed at them? They were not notching or outside the filter? Could you reproduce it and send us a track please?

EDIT: by "pointed at them" I mean that they were well within the cone of your radar, not just generally in their direction. depending on settings the cone can be quite narrow and shallow and the closer you get, the greater deviations will matter in contacts dropping out of the cone.

One thing that could help would be to get a general direction about expected Jester behavior, so to avoid reporting false issues.

I’ve often got into similar situation to the OP. My aircraft is pointing at the enemy aircrafts, I even see DL symbols on my display, but Jester can’t get a lock, or even target those DL contacts.

Now, my expectation would be that a RIO, and so Jester, would be able to see those same DL contacts and target them by using the radar, obviously if I am pointing the F14 to those same contacts.

But it often doesn’t happen, and so I am not sure if this is a bug I should report, or if it’s a “work as designed” that Jester can’t understand E2 calls and/or DL contacts and use it to target contacts I am pointing at.

By knowing how Jester is designed to work in various situation, especially considering outside info such as AWAC calls or DL info, would help in avoiding unnecessary reports here and use the AI in the correct way.

You sort of have to do some of the work for Jester, as he doesn't take any initiative.

If the contacts aren't co-altitude with you, he won't automatically have the radar elevation set to find them, so you'll need to tell him to set it correctly so he can see them.

Jester does not use DL info for finding targets. You cannot lock DL contact - only the radar contact - so you have to point the radar to the contact - not your nose or HUD. It's also possible to run into situations where you cannot see contacts that your wingman or AWACS can see. It all depends on many factors.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Jester does not use DL info for anything. You cannot lock DL contact - only the radar contact - so you have to point the radar to the contact - not your nose or HUD. It's also possible to run into situations where you cannot see contacts that your wingman or AWACS can see. It all depends on many factors.

Thanks for the infos: I was hoping Jester could use DL infos as a normal player and leverage on it to establish contacts/locks without needing player input/micromanagement (obviously assuming player pilot is steering the aircraft to allow for it) but it seems my expectations were a bit too high :-)

Thanks for the infos: I was hoping Jester could use DL infos as a normal player and leverage on it to establish contacts/locks without needing player input/micromanagement (obviously assuming player pilot is steering the aircraft to allow for it) but it seems my expectations were a bit too high :-)

I'm sorry, I have to correct myself in that Jester can lock DL obtained contact. Just use Jester > STT > choose specific target > there can be both Radar and Radio (DL) to choose from.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I'm sorry, I have to correct myself in that Jester can lock DL obtained contact. Just use Jester > STT > choose specific target > there can be both Radar and Radio (DL) to choose from.

Thanks ! Exactly what I was looking for ! Well... it would be perfect if Jester wouldn’t need me to tell him what to do, but it's much better than doing nothing !