An old newbie rejoining the sim community

Hi Folks,

last time I was seriously into flight simulators was the early 90's, a Dos based programme called F-117A Nighthawk Stealth Fighter. It was the ultimate in flight simulators boasting 256 colours at VGA resolution (640x480) how times have changed!!

Taking baby steps getting into the DCS world and spending way too much time watching tutorials on youtube :)

I've no doubt I will have 101 questions but enjoying pottering around in free flight watching the world going by in 4k resolution at the moment.

Stay safe

Kev

ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wifi) Motherboard | Intel i9-9900K @ 4.9Ghz | Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2 x 32Gb 3000 Mhz | Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti GPU | Thrustmaster T.16000 FCS Hotas and TrackIR | Windows 10 Pro on 2 x m.2 evo plus 1Tb ssds

Hi kev,

Thats awesome to hear that you are picking up flying again. I remember that game very well :)

If you want, you can tag along with us. We are a group formed around '97 and still going strong. Our youngest member is nearing 40 (which is me).

We are very casual and fly EU timezone. We are looking to expand our group for DCS.

Nothing mandatory and no obligations.

Cheers,

stevie

http://www.1strof.com/

http://forum.1strof.com/

stevie

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

CO 1st.ROF Netherlands 322 Sqn.RAF.

"Niet praten, maar doen!"

Founded '97 in Warbirds

i7-7800X - 16GB - GTX1070

X56 Rhino - TrackIR5 - TM Pedals - Rift S

Ha, I remember that too, The old Microprose games ...

I have very fond memories of their "Harrier Jump Jet" as well. For a long time, that was my favorite sim.

That was my wifes choice of game :)

Kev

ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wifi) Motherboard | Intel i9-9900K @ 4.9Ghz | Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2 x 32Gb 3000 Mhz | Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti GPU | Thrustmaster T.16000 FCS Hotas and TrackIR | Windows 10 Pro on 2 x m.2 evo plus 1Tb ssds

Hi kev,

Thats awesome to hear that you are picking up flying again. I remember that game very well :)

If you want, you can tag along with us. We are a group formed around '97 and still going strong. Our youngest member is nearing 40 (which is me).

We are very casual and fly EU timezone. We are looking to expand our group for DCS.

Nothing mandatory and no obligations.

Cheers,

stevie

A bit early to jump into a group Stevie, I need to spend a few hours getting the basics under my belt first.

I've just found a youtube video of the F117 graphics :) ah memories

best regards

Kev

Edited by Photosbykev

Haha I’m doing to same while asking myself when Am I going to really learn this? Oh hell I’ll start next weekend. I also just like free flying an awe....such a beautiful sim! And I’m an older guy too and got hooked on all the eye candy videos too and went ahead and bought a lot gear to run the DCS. So yeah good to see that I’m not the only one. I think I’ll start the F18 training mission tomorrow, actually my flying is great, it’s just learning all the cockpit stuff ect. Yikes

Welcome to the forum... a lot of great help help and advice in here.

Take care.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

ah memories

Oh yes indeed! Thats really great to see - haha.

I need to spend a few hours getting the basics under my belt first

Sure thing! There is no need to "join" us. You can hop on whenever you like. Maybe get you up to speed. We have more people just simply trying out different stuff. We run this mission where you can basically practice pretty much everything.

Cheers,

stevie

stevie

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

CO 1st.ROF Netherlands 322 Sqn.RAF.

"Niet praten, maar doen!"

Founded '97 in Warbirds

i7-7800X - 16GB - GTX1070

X56 Rhino - TrackIR5 - TM Pedals - Rift S

Haha I’m doing to same while asking myself when Am I going to really learn this? Oh hell I’ll start next weekend. I also just like free flying an awe....such a beautiful sim! And I’m an older guy too and got hooked on all the eye candy videos too and went ahead and bought a lot gear to run the DCS. So yeah good to see that I’m not the only one. I think I’ll start the F18 training mission tomorrow, actually my flying is great, it’s just learning all the cockpit stuff ect. Yikes

Welcome to the forum... a lot of great help help and advice in here.

Take care.

Thank you Burt, I'm retired but I've always been into technology and computers but I drifted away from 'games' along time ago. My current computer was built for photographic work and image rendering so it's a bit of a beast and conveniently suitable for flight sims as well. I bought into the X Plane sim and like it a lot for the accurate UK scenery but then found out about DCS and it has GUNS! :)

Kev

Welcome back! I hadn't played any modern aircraft since Falcon 4.0/Allied Force/Red Viper about 10 years ago until just this year. In the meantime I pretty much only did civilian and world war 2 flight sims. Since upgrading my machine at the beginning of this year I decided to give DCS another shot and well now I own like 6 modules and 3 maps and FC3. It's a fun time despite the bugs here and there you will surely eventually run into. Once I got past the initial familiarization with Russian instrumentation in the SU-25, everything else was pretty easy. At first I was actually pretty impressed how much was modeled even on the "low fi" aircraft. The good hifi stuff with the 90% clickable cockpits and more advanced systems modeling are really fun to learn master and fight with.

I bet you also remember F-19 sim?

Yup I am that old :) played it on a Toshiba 386 laptop with a 80Mb hard drive and 2Mb of memory lmao

Kev

I played Microprose's F-19 Stealth Fighter with 640KB RAM and a Intel 8086 Proccessor at 8 MHz (10 MHz with Turbo Mode). There was also a Su-25 Frogfoot Simulator, I cant remember its name... They ran at 8 FPS in low settings, maybe :smilewink:

I played Microprose's F-19 Stealth Fighter with 640KB RAM and a Intel 8086 Proccessor at 8 MHz (10 MHz with Turbo Mode). There was also a Su-25 Frogfoot Simulator, I cant remember its name... They ran at 8 FPS in low settings, maybe :smilewink:

I know of people still running at 8fps in 2019 :megalol:

Hi Folks,

last time I was seriously into flight simulators was the early 90's, a Dos based programme called F-117A Nighthawk Stealth Fighter. It was the ultimate in flight simulators boasting 256 colours at VGA resolution (640x480) how times have changed!!

Taking baby steps getting into the DCS world and spending way too much time watching tutorials on youtube :)

I've no doubt I will have 101 questions but enjoying pottering around in free flight watching the world going by in 4k resolution at the moment.

Stay safe

Kev

I too started flight simming in the early 90s, the biggest revolutionary change in modern sims in my opinion is Virtual reality, it compliments flight sims perfectly particularly now we have beautiful 3D cockpits. Should you choose to go down that route.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV