I can't start the engines of A-10C

keem85

I've been struggling for two hours now. Followed every YouTube tutorials I could find, but everytime I get to the engine start procedure, they won't start.. RALT + HOME does not work, RCTRL + HOME does not work, and not my mapped buttons either.. I've checked the controllers, and they are set to RALT + HOME, but it doesn't do anything when I press them.. I've tried to assign THROTTLE LEFT to an axis, but it doesn't react.. The virtual throttle isn't clickable with the mouse either, so I can't virtually move it to idle position either What can this annoying issue be caused by? Throttle works fine if I start the aircraft with engines already running.

PC and connected gears:

Win10x64pro

1080TI

32GB DDR4

Logiteck K750 + Anywhere MX mouse

HOTAS Warthog joystick without the throttle

Arduino handbrake as throttle (using it as a collective for Huey)

VKB T-Rudder

Extra connected gears

Fanatec Podium DD1

Heusinkveld Sprint pedals

8bitdo SNES Pro as buttonbox

Oculus Rift S

Plexgear wireless keyboard

EDIT: Typo in my post. It's supposed to say RALT instead of LALT

Edited by keem85
Typo

RIGHT ALT + HOME and RIGHT CTRL + HOME will bring the throttles out of their detents.

Once out of their detents, the throttles will move like normal.

Similar for shutting the engines down, though you use the END key instead of the HOME key.

This is also assuming you have the BAT PWR and INV STBY switches set to ON, as well as the APU running with it's generator online, plus turning on the 4 fuel boost pumps to feed the main engines.

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

RIGHT ALT + HOME and RIGHT CTRL + HOME will bring the throttles out of their detents.

Similar for shutting the engines down, though you use the END key instead of the HOME key.

This is also assuming you have the BAT PWR and INV STBY switches set to ON, as well as the APU running with it's generator online, plus turning on the 4 fuel boost pumps to feed the main engines.

Thanks for your reply. This was exactly my point! What you mentioned there doesn't work for me. That's the issue right there!

It's not like normal keyboard commands, the ALT key on the LEFT side of the keyboard is not the same as the one on the RIGHT. Same for the control keys.

You must press the CTRL or ALT key on the correct side of the keyboard.

I see now that I had a typo in my original post, I really meant RIGHT alt and HOME. That's what's not working.. My bad for writing error in my first post..

So.. Back to my problem, these key combinations doesn't work for me. I also assigned button for engine starts, but those don't react either.. For example "Start left engine" is mapped to a key, but it doesn't work

Do you have DCS set to sync position with controls at the start?

Are there duplicate mappings against several controllers?

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Do you have DCS set to sync position with controls at the start?

Are there duplicate mappings against several controllers?

I checked if I had duplicate mappings, but I have no duplicate mappings on this axis. I also tried to bind this spesific axis to other controllers aswell, and i experienced the same problem on my other controllers.. Either way RALT + HOME should work, but strangely not.

Not sure what the sync position is by the way?

I have just had a quick play and can replicate what you are seeing with the keys not responding until I have cycled my TM Warthog throttle at the start of the mission to get its control positions recognised (and then the keys start to work).

I then came back to the main DCS menu and entered settings from there. On the Misc. tab there is an option to Synchronize Cockpit Controls with HOTAS Controls at Mission Start - unchecking this made the keys work directly at mission start (you don't need any power connected, just pressing RCTRL+HOME should move one of the throttles) - have a quick try and see if changing this option works for you

Edited by hornblower793
Clarified which item of TM Warthog equipment

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

I also have an Oculus VR headset and will play with this tomorrow if the possible solution in my post above makes no difference

I have no problems starting up the aircraft with Oculus Rift. Just to clarify, are you going through the normal startup procedure?

RIGHT ALT+HOME does nothing apart from setting your right throttle to idle position, unless you have the battery, apu and fuel pumps running

A-10C, AV-8B, Ka-50, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F/A-18C, L-39, Mi-8, MiG-21, MiG-29, SA34, Spitfire, Su-27, Su-33, UH-1H

I have no problems starting up the aircraft with Oculus Rift. Just to clarify, are you going through the normal startup procedure?

RIGHT ALT+HOME does nothing apart from setting your right throttle to idle position, unless you have the battery, apu and fuel pumps running

Yes I did everything correctly, but for some reason it won't work with the Rift S. Works fine in pancake mode.. However I got it working when doing it via OpenVR instead.

• 2 weeks later...

When starting engines you need to hold buttons down until engine starts. Example:

Right ALT + HOME, push both buttons and hold them until engine fires. If you just push and release, engines won't go. This happened to me and was driving me nuts. HOLD them down!!!

When starting engines you need to hold buttons down until engine starts. Example:

Right ALT + HOME, push both buttons and hold them until engine fires. If you just push and release, engines won't go. This happened to me and was driving me nuts. HOLD them down!!!

That's exactly what was not working in oculus vr

This makes little sense. Putting the throttles over the hump begins the start sequence but it is not the same as the ignition switch. It is a one and done command.

You have to have the throttle axis input at idle (as read by DCS) before DCS allows the cut off position to move. The smallest amount of signal will interrupt this. That is why you have to either turn off controller sync as others have said or chop your throttles back (those without a cutoff function). I don't have VR but the control function should be the same regardless.

Something is A: messing with throttle axis input somewhere somehow or B: As randomTOTEN said, in this specific instance, it sounds like something is messing with your key command input.

Edited by zinhawk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ryzen 5 3600 (4.1Ghz), 32 GB DDR4, Sapphire R9 390X Nitro, Fatal1ty B450 K4

TrackIR, Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

Something is messing with the functionality when using oculus. It works fine in Pancake and OpenVR, hence it's a bug.. I don't have a hotas throttle and must rely on keyboard to set idle eng

How come I never had any issues with this then? I’m having the same setup as you. (2.5.6 OB)

A-10C, AV-8B, Ka-50, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F/A-18C, L-39, Mi-8, MiG-21, MiG-29, SA34, Spitfire, Su-27, Su-33, UH-1H

Do you see that your left throttle moves to the idle detent position when you’re hitting Right Alt+Home?

Try remapping the key binding in controls. If that key combo is being used, find another.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

this might seem a bit strange , but are both programs run as admin?

could it have something to do with privilege level. I know my TIR and DCS required to be run as admin so they could communicate.

Also, the Modifier key (RALT) or the function key could be a "trapped" key/s by the occulus software?

Action After Contemplation

Few days ago I had a similar issue but with the autostart mode.... The apu started with all other electrical stuff, but when was time with the engine ign it doesn't work, was like the throttle was lock on off position...

So after few seconds, when apu stops, master warning on and all goes offline.

I restart dcs and same thing... Restart and 1 engine was locked, restart again dcs and all was fine... Strange story!

DCS 2.5.6 Open Beta - F-18C, F-14B, F-16C, Av-8b, A-10C, Uh-1h, SA-342, Mi-8MTV2, KA-50 Modules

Persian Gulf Map, Nevada Training Map

ALIENWARE AREA-51 INTEL

Intel I9-9940X - Nvidia 2080Ti 11Gb - 32GB RAM - 4TB SSD

Oculus Rift S - FULL VIRPIL SETUP: T50CM2 throttle, T50cm2 Base and Grip, ACE2 Rudder