OPFOR - IRAN - Realistic threat

VooDoo8-9

When designing missions where Iran is the hostile, how do you realistically portray the threat that Iran presents ? A/A , SAM, naval assets ? What is a good make-up for Iran's current capability ? I ran across a SAM map a while back but have since lost it.

I ran across a SAM map a while back but have since lost it.

Probably this one? https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3301349/?sphrase_id=480012

or ths other one?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303822/?sphrase_id=480012

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Keep in mind, we have only the southern Part of Iran on the Persian Gulf map. The majority of fighter assets are usually stationed in the Iraq/Iran border and the important areas in northern Iran.

Not all the Aircraft Iran has bought will be airworthy and in perfect shape, assumptions of 70% overall readiness, already accounting for a desperate war situation, opposed to peace time sounds reasonable to me.

The Iranian Fleet though is concentrated in Bandar Abbas, Busheer and that port East on the shore near Pakistan, I think it's named Jahbahar or so.

Air defense seems decent, numerous, yet mostly older types or Iranian copies of older stuff.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

When designing missions where Iran is the hostile, how do you realistically portray the threat that Iran presents ? A/A , SAM, naval assets ? What is a good make-up for Iran's current capability ? I ran across a SAM map a while back but have since lost it.

Maybe it was this one: http://geimint.blogspot.com/2007/09/iranian-sam-network.html

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Keep in mind, we have only the southern Part of Iran on the Persian Gulf map. The majority of fighter assets are usually stationed in the Iraq/Iran border and the important areas in northern Iran.

Not all the Aircraft Iran has bought will be airworthy and in perfect shape, assumptions of 70% overall readiness, already accounting for a desperate war situation, opposed to peace time sounds reasonable to me.

The Iranian Fleet though is concentrated in Bandar Abbas, Busheer and that port East on the shore near Pakistan, I think it's named Jahbahar or so.

Air defense seems decent, numerous, yet mostly older types or Iranian copies of older stuff.

Airpower I would put as low as 30% - 50% max to be honest, The German airforce was only running at 30% if my memory serves, it was something terribly low, I know it was something crazy at one point in the defence news......Can't imagine the Iranians having a better ready state than Germany or even the UK, I don't think the UK RAF even has 70% readiness, will look into that....

Edited by Phantom_Mark

Airpower I would put as low as 30% - 50% max to be honest, The German airforce was only running at 30% if my memory serves, it was something terribly low, I know it was something crazy at one point in the defence news......Can't imagine the Iranians having a better ready state than Germany or even the UK, I don't think the UK RAF even has 70% readiness, will look into that....
The 3-Letter agency according to public info assumes a 60% overall readiness state. That is "peacetime" I assumed a 10% improvement in an actual war as they would direct even more money and resources to the military.

Speaking of Germany, as we are quite far from a "democracy" like Iran, the Military budget and resources to defend us against a "US/Iraq/Saudi Invasion" may make a difference? ;)

The more important aspect was to not put all IRIAF planes into the southern airbases, as this won't happen. You may get CAP over central Iran from the northern airbases, but I highly doubt, they would strip the complete Iraq border, northern military facilities and population centers of support.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

The 3-Letter agency according to public info assumes a 60% overall readiness state. That is "peacetime" I assumed a 10% improvement in an actual war as they would direct even more money and resources to the military.

Speaking of Germany, as we are quite far from a "democracy" like Iran, the Military budget and resources to defend us against a "US/Iraq/Saudi Invasion" may make a difference? ;)

The more important aspect was to not put all IRIAF planes into the southern airbases, as this won't happen. You may get CAP over central Iran from the northern airbases, but I highly doubt, they would strip the complete Iraq border, northern military facilities and population centers of support.

Yes, I agree with your further points.......in short it would be pretty easy to quickly decapitate their airforce.....their SAM cover on the other hand would provide a few stings before it was overcome tho I believe, even without air support.

Don't forget Iran began decentralising their airforce and like any airforce can forward deploy and move them around as required, with a bit of setup time. The same things goes in terms of destroying it on the ground, doesn't take too much imagination to envisage a lot of dummy hangars, dispersed remote parking and storage. They would fight in their SAM engagement ranges, which, are also dispersible, and not always from fixed sites, for example, the one that took out the US drone came from a location not marked by the famous SAM overlay for Google Earth, a lot of SAM mobility and deception would exist, as any idiot would do when faced against a serious threat with long range GPS missiles. If they had a chance, they could sit back and not expend everything, rather keep the hidden threat meaningful enough to deter silly deep strikes and just use the depth of their country to provide enough shielding around Tehran/Natanz. I'm not sure the long game would work out, but it would be a painfully protracted and expensive campaign through lots of layers which would attempt to work in concert. The size of the country is massive and the scope for pop up SAM's would be a very risky one for conventional airstrike to deal with. It would boil down to a game of who can throw more burning bundles of cash at each other.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *