F-15C FC3 Cocpit and navigation

303_Vins

Hello. I fly DCS all its life. Begun with Flanker 2,5.

I got almost each DCS module combat aircraft. Spent alot in F-18 last few months.

Now i fly F-15.

Toy. OK. I like it anyway.

Navigation day and night do not make any problems.

Building SA more difficult than in advanced modules. May accept.

Small ishues to fix:

1- When open refuelling door, nav system switch automatically to TCN.

Great. There is distance indication. OK. But no course director. Course director stays in INS NAV mode.

So, need to fix:--- working TACAN course director to tanker.

--- button ( Tanker TCN selector, in case there is more than one tanker in air).

--- TCN name on HUD for ex. TKR... TEX... SHL... ARC.

IF NOT. It is very difficult to find tanker without RDR and AWACS support.

2- Vector to tanker AWACS says: Alpha check to TKR, and vector by BullsEye not by BRA. F-15 Has not BullsEye. This vector is almost useless.

3- Cockpit advisory lights, instrument illumination, panel illumination has the same colour. TO do, fix, modify: --- Ger down, Flaps down, make different colour than all the rest. For example orange or green. If not fixed, it is very difficult to quickly get acknowledge of Gear and flaps in down position during night and day. Next issue: there is no cocpit illumination adjustement.

Just add two bottons in menue: Cockpit illumination + and -.

All regards. Vincent

Toy. OK. I like it anyway.

Navigation day and night do not make any problems.

Building SA more difficult than in advanced modules. May accept.

Very far from being a toy, and SA is not hard if you don't rely on crutches like DL for your SA from the beginning.

There is distance indication. OK. But no course director. Course director stays in INS NAV mode.

That is correct, air to air tacan should be distance only.

--- button ( Tanker TCN selector, in case there is more than one tanker in air).

No button needed, should be based on radio depending on which tanker you contact. Maybe there's a fix needed there.

--- TCN name on HUD for ex. TKR... TEX... SHL... ARC.

IF NOT. It is very difficult to find tanker without RDR and AWACS support.

Tanker tracks are pre-planned. You should know where they are at all times.

2- Vector to tanker AWACS says: Alpha check to TKR, and vector by BullsEye not by BRA. F-15 Has not BullsEye. This vector is almost useless.

It's very useful if you know where the tanker track is, and if you know where you are - you can use fix to fix navigation to do this. IRL F-15 doesn't have bullseye either, though it will display offset for any waypoint (so you set a WP as bullseye). Since you don't the offset shown to you in game, you can use fix to fix navigation.

Ger down, Flaps down, make different colour than all the rest.

Incorrect for this aircraft. Gear lights are not illuminated unless down (red if not locked + warning tone, but not applicable to DCS). Flaps also should only be illuminated green when down, otherwise off or yellow if in transit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

That is correct, air to air tacan should be distance only.

Yes. Yardstick. Yes. Tanker gives U also BRNG. for F-16 & F-18 in DCS.

Yes GGTharos. I know all that U wrote.

Do you fly Hornet & viper? U`ll see the difference.

F-15 is a great, lethal weapon when in hands of decent pilot like me :-)

That was not question by me.

I wrote what I need to be implemented, for better comfort.

Edited by 303_Vins

Is this Eagle specific?

I don't know, I just checked the -1s that I have available for the eagle as well as some pilot descriptions of approach to tanker. I may be off the mark, this is just the best info I have.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 7 months later...

I don't know, I just checked the -1s that I have available for the eagle as well as some pilot descriptions of approach to tanker. I may be off the mark, this is just the best info I have.

Air to Air TACAN azimuth is dependent upon the transmitting aircraft having the necessary antennae; the standard small aircraft sets provide TACAN a2a range only but KC-135 are big enough to be equipped with the full TACAN capability giving range and azimuth information to whom seeks such information. In other words all tacan equipped aircraft should be able to home in on the tanker if it is transmitting azimuth information, Eagle included

read more here

"KC-135 also has a radar transmitter/receiver to display both range and azimuth information" 60's KC-135

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP71B00399R000300160001-9.pdf

"Air-to-Air TACAN: KC-135 range only, PACER CRAG range & bearing, KC-10 range & bearing, 200NM max range."PACER CRAG is an upgraded KC-135

https://robrobinette.com/C-141/dash2_ar.htm

https://fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/bomber/n19991012_991886.htm

so it seems there was a period of time somewhere after 67 and before ~1999 where KC-135 offer only distance TACAN, but for the purposes of the game I would recommend full tacan capability