is the FLIR broken again?

SPAS79

So I've been flying the A10C for a while now, on and off. FLIR was always an issue to the point that I remember we had texture mods to distinguish stuff on the ground (because trees, patches of soil etc were all lit like christmas).

I'm now re-playing The Enemy Within campaign, and oh boy there we go again. At least this time is not trees, but house walls and patches of land all appear glowing in IR... ontop, BHOT is not really usable, it's just a white wall to some degree. WHOT is a little more usable but with the glowing rocks, not that much (see attachments, screen was taken loooking at the same area w/o touching settings (LVL 5, GAIN 4).

Ontop, there's that overdone bloom/glare effect from the MFDs... thank god I have secondary monitors where I'm exporting the stuff otherwise it would have been game over.

EDIT: to clarify, I see two problems

1) bloom/glare (this is somewhat mitigated by lowering gamma, but if I go too low the cockpit becomes just a black slab with buttons on it)

2) FLIR not being "IR" but just b/w high contrast textures...

Anybody else having this issue?

823147882_A10CBHOT.thumb.jpg.d04eefc02c5b07d70a0d3163c6a62829.jpg

1006044573_A10CWHOT.thumb.jpg.e553b9a42cdbe1b2214a1f86dd3e87a5.jpg

22090845_A10CBHOT2.thumb.jpg.8d390cc2bd33ac5d996720f7e4134059.jpg

1147767651_A10CWHOT2.thumb.jpg.cfd269d605bc529bfb46384c9b8613b0.jpg

Edited by SPAS79

Let me try to be precise as I can..

On a real FLIR during certain hours you have different OBSTACLES including HEAT retaining surfaces that your brain may or may not process as a possible target.

As far as DCS goes, I tend to agree with you that certain surfaces have always given poor Hot/Cold contrasts.

The only thing I can tell you is much like real life, your brain will eventually be able to wrap your head around what it is you are seeing on screen and identify targets quickly in a specific area and being familiar with and being proficient on switching between your sensors including the TGP will help you rapidly identify targets way faster than the FLIR issues themselves.

My personal dislike is the Thrustmaster Warthog TDC. However, that upgrade should be ready for me soon and I will let you know if it was worth the $75 USD as an upgrade.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

IMO, it needs to be looked at again by the Devs.

In White Hot it blooms so badly that it blanks out entirely regardless of zoom level. Even Mavericks going downrange blind it completely for an inordinately long period of time.

In short yes, it's borked again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

So I've been flying the A10C for a while now, on and off. FLIR was always an issue to the point that I remember we had texture mods to distinguish stuff on the ground (because trees, patches of soil etc were all lit like christmas).

I'm now re-playing The Enemy Within campaign, and oh boy there we go again. At least this time is not trees, but house walls and patches of land all appear glowing in IR... ontop, BHOT is not really usable, it's just a white wall to some degree. WHOT is a little more usable but with the glowing rocks, not that much (see attachments, screen was taken loooking at the same area w/o touching settings (LVL 5, GAIN 4).

Ontop, there's that overdone bloom/glare effect from the MFDs... thank god I have secondary monitors where I'm exporting the stuff otherwise it would have been game over.

EDIT: to clarify, I see two problems

1) bloom/glare (this is somewhat mitigated by lowering gamma, but if I go too low the cockpit becomes just a black slab with buttons on it)

2) FLIR not being "IR" but just b/w high contrast textures...

Anybody else having this issue?

Yes it was significantly better before and is hard to use effectively in its current state. I think some tweaking is needed by ED in this one please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overalien

Hog Driver starting to really like the Tomcat

System specs:

Intel i7-8700k - OC to 5.0 GHz

| 32 GB RAM 3600 MHz | Nvidia 1080ti SLi | Mixed Storage - Win 10 and DCS on Samsung SSD 970 Pro

Flightgear:

7 Displays (3 x 1440p, 1 X 1080p, 3 X Lilliput Touch) | 3 x Cougar MFDs

| Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | iBEAM Shaker + Simshaker for Aviators w. Sound Module | Helios | VAICOM Pro + AIRIO | TrackIR 5

For me 2.5.6 has me flying only in daytime. I skip every night mission.

Mind you the pics were in daytime. I just liked to use the FLIR when it was (briefly) working because it made finding targets a lot easier.

Seems like now we are at square 1.

EDIT: found square 1

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=162922

Edited by SPAS79

I have been flying jtac controlled mission intentionally during dusk to night conditions, and had zero tgp issues. Yes the brightness of the mfcd needs adjusting occasionally, and bhot whot and vis are better in certain situations, but I never have them unusuable. Im not trying to say there aren’t issues for you, but I can confirm it CAN work, and may be a systems issue ie gamma setting? Video driver overriding color or brightness? Maybe generation of video card?

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

I have been flying jtac controlled mission intentionally during dusk to night conditions, and had zero tgp issues. Yes the brightness of the mfcd needs adjusting occasionally, and bhot whot and vis are better in certain situations, but I never have them unusuable. Im not trying to say there aren’t issues for you, but I can confirm it CAN work, and may be a systems issue ie gamma setting? Video driver overriding color or brightness? Maybe generation of video card?

"EDIT: to clarify, I see two problems

1) bloom/glare (this is somewhat mitigated by lowering gamma, but if I go too low the cockpit becomes just a black slab with buttons on it)"

My gamma is at 1.2-1.3 I've tried other values up and down, no, it's not a gamma problem.

It’s not Gamma (at least it’s not Monitor Gamma .. mine’s hardware calibrated at 2.2)

The FLIR “sensor” is just getting overwhelmed and if there’s supposed to be an AGC* it’s not kicking in.

(*AGC = Automatic Gain Control .. Lowers the exposure in the presence of an overly bright subject in order to maintain a nominal exposure)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

It’s not Gamma (at least it’s not Monitor Gamma .. mine’s hardware calibrated at 2.2)

The FLIR “sensor” is just getting overwhelmed and if there’s supposed to be an AGC* it’s not kicking in.

(*AGC = Automatic Gain Control .. Lowers the exposure in the presence of an overly bright subject in order to maintain a nominal exposure)

and again, the monitor is as calibrated as it could be w/o specific hardware (I'm not buying a spyder thingie just for that)... also, I was talking about DCS's gamma setting.

Once again, yeah maybe it's an issue with the AGC, but I think the FLIR is royally borked again. We had a fleeting moment in 2.5 where it was working ok, then this new illumination system comes across and tanks performance and cripples FLIR.

EDIT: to add to my previous statement, I don't see why the FLIR shoud be "overwhelmed" just in BHOT and not in WHOT mode. That sholud be a simple logic switch and color inversion... instead the BHOT (where most of the elements are white) blooms out of proportion and creates a white "wall". I don't think the FLIR is being "overwhelmed"... that is to say the FLIR implementation works ad it's simulating too much "light" thus getting blinded. NONONO, It's a bloom/illumination issue that has to do with the EDGE engine, otherwise it should be all white / all black. Instead WHOT kinds works (minus walls and patches of land glowing) BHOT blooms like it's springtime.

I'm sure all will be fixed, I just wonder how long will it take, given it required some years the first time...

Edited by SPAS79

I was about to post about the same issue, the current implementation of graphics effects imposed on MFCD's in A10-C is unrealistic and on many occasion's render them unusable. For example, it appears that MFCD's reflect all light thrown at them which causes them to "bleak" from the pilot perspective, what about the anti-reflective coating?. Glowing and smeared fonts during the night, TGP/MAV working in infrared mode experiencing "light's out" (i.e. rendering completely white screen), usually when there are strong infrared light emitters (burning vehicles, explosions) present, near to where the TGP/MAV is looking at. Hopefully, this will get addressed.

gif showing MFCD reflections during different times of the day, the only thing that changes here is the time of the day.