Oculas Rift Issue

My spec

RTX2080TI

16GB DDR4

CORSAIR CX550M PSU

So I'm experiencing some issues while I'm in VR . Ithis is a new pc build from a uk company called SCAN. ( Feb 2020 )

I'd like to note that everything was running perfect with NO issues at all for 38ish hours. Total pc usage is approx 100 hrs use

I turned my pc on one afternoon Oculus did an update I went on VR and as soon as VR display loaded my GPU started to buzz and the oculas display was all flickering

So if you load in the F18 " instant action " 2and one down start on the ramp. So cockpit instruments are a little fuzzy around the edges untill I lean forwed.

Look left/right the edges of there other aircraft are all flickering taxi lines and trees in the foreground also.

The graphics look as they should when not in VR

I have contacted Oculus about this they have had log files twice cant find anything but are still investigating.

THINGS I HAVE TRIED SO FAR

uninstall / reinstall Steam and DCS

Uninstall / reinstall Oculus

Installed latest Nvidia drivers

Reverted Nvidia drivers

Installed OTT set frames to 45 and PD 1.5 and 1.4

Did a factory restart on my PC

I plugged a tv/monitor in to my HDMI on my GPU ( where I connect Oculus ) the display is all perfect

I have tried my Oculus on a Friends PC my Oculus works as it should on his PC

I ran a stress test on my GPU temps holding at 72

Changed settings many times in Nvidia Control panel

Tried stable and Beta DCS and Oculus

Nothing I did impacted on my vr flicker

This issue is there on Oculas Apps/Games and DCS

Any help, pointers or Ideas I'd be grateful I have been trying to figure this out for a week

Edited by CraigFoulkes

Have you tried a clean install of the Nvidia drivers using DDU in safe mode to uninstall ?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hi, what's DDU ?? No I haven't tried that but I assume I went a step further by doing a factory restart on my pc ?

Fresh install out of the box pc ?

So quick update just watched a video on YouTube regarding the DDU, followed the instructions and reinstalled all drivers, no change at all.

But thanks anything is worth a go,

Edited by CraigFoulkes

Re-reading your post:

The GPU starting to buzz really does not sound good to me. Did it buzz long? Does it still do this?

I don't guess you have another GPU you could try?

You have ruled out the headset, so obviously it is not the problem.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

No other GPU unfortunately, but I have tried my oculus on a friends PC and my oculus is performing as it should. He as a GTX 1060 3GB

Yeah the buzz starts as soon as I losd anything in VR then goes away after I quit VR.

Just to add I have just tried my friends Oculus rift on my system and it's the same flickering image in the head set,

Its flickering under the trees and like jagged around other aircraft. Now changing settings the picture quality is improving getting sharper etc... but the flickering and jagged stuff still remains

Edited by CraigFoulkes

No other GPU unfortunately, but I have tried my oculus on a friends PC and my oculus is performing as it should. He as a GTX 1060 3GB

Yeah the buzz starts as soon as I losd anything in VR then goes away after I quit VR.

Just to add I have just tried my friends Oculus rift on my system and it's the same flickering image in the head set,

Its flickering under the trees and like jagged around other aircraft. Now changing settings the picture quality is improving getting sharper etc... but the flickering and jagged stuff still remains

That buzz is not normal. The fact it looks fine on another PC I am afraid points to maybe a failing GPU. Especially after you tried your friends Rift on your PC and it has the same issue.

Can you tell for sure the buzz is coming from the GPU?

Don B

Open the case and check all the connections with the Graphics card, some have 2 cables from the power supply unit for the more powerful cards, could be one has worked loose. also check the fans are free to spin without any cables resting against them (that would give a buzz at higher speeds).

check the GPU is seated in its PCie slot correctly.

One other thought, when I fitted my last GPU, the system reverted to using the on board graphics chip because I hadn't quite got the card fitted in its slot correctly first time. The result was that things looked normal on the monitor until I ran DCS and it was then obvious it wasn't using the GPU. Checking the devices showed that the GPU wasn't driving the graphics as the motherboard couldn't see it.

So checked all the above card is seated as it should be however the problem is still there,

Also had an Email from Oculus today to say they still cant find any problems with my log files but are still looking in to the matter. I can ( RMA ) my gpu and I should have a replacement back 48hrs after they receive my gpu.

But I have also ordered a new VR head set

So checked all the above card is seated as it should be however the problem is still there,

Also had an Email from Oculus today to say they still cant find any problems with my log files but are still looking in to the matter. I can ( RMA ) my gpu and I should have a replacement back 48hrs after they receive my gpu.

But I have also ordered a new VR head set

I don't think it is your headset, sounds like the GPU based on what all you have described.

But who knows, these are computers and they can do about anything.

Don B

The safest and cheapest solution is to up the PSU like Aurelius mentioned. 550 is rather low for the demand the 2080ti card draws, especially in VR.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Regarding the PSU as I have been scratching my head for over a week now with this issue, i did check specs of the card and i noticed my PSU was 100w lower that what nvidia recommends a min ( 650w )

I mentioned this to Scan who told me they are aware of this and are offering a free upgrade of a PSU to 650w. However I'm thinking of paying some extra and getting an 850w to give me plenty of breathing space and be future proof so to speak.

The one thing I cant figure out though is this only started after Oculus update.

Maybe just a coincidence ?

Had a nice surprise this morning, notification on Amazon that my VR will be arriving today and not ( Thursday ) bonus or so I thought. All installed and what do you know.....

The problem is still there! Could cry right now ( give me strength)

You previously mentioned you tried your Rift on a friend's PC and it was fine with it.

I would think that showed that it was not the headset.

I think it is likely either the GPU or Power Supply.

Don B

Yes I agree that did show that the problem wasnt with Rift to be fair, however I did want a better quality VR,

The GPU was sent back yesterday 14th so they should have it by now.

I'm hoping to have a gpu back by Friday. So we should know for sure. Either way I'll be sure to pop back and post my findings

Just thought I'd give a quick update.

My card was received and tested yesterday from Scan computers my RTX2080TI was found be be faulty. As of yet I dont know the actual fault but I will do my best to find out.

Although my PSU is 550w and Nvidia recommends a min 650w for this card it's not seen as a factor in this issue.

2012532281800xxx SN of my card last 3 replaced with " xxx "

This fault however only occurs when using VR

Have you checked that the on-board graphics have been disabled in BIOS. Even if no displays are plugged in to the on-board graphics, it might still be worth turning them off.

Edit: ah, that'll teach me to read the second page of the thread, that i hadn't noticed before i posted, but i'll leave this here, as it might still be useful, even with the new card.

Edited by Greyman

Just thought I'd give a quick update.

My card was received and tested yesterday from Scan computers my RTX2080TI was found be be faulty. As of yet I dont know the actual fault but I will do my best to find out.

Although my PSU is 550w and Nvidia recommends a min 650w for this card it's not seen as a factor in this issue.

2012532281800xxx SN of my card last 3 replaced with " xxx "

This fault however only occurs when using VR

:thumbup:

Good deal now you know.

I would still upgrade that power supply when you get a chance.

Don B

So although this post is labelled ( Oculus Rift VR Issue ) I'd like to point out I had the same issue when trying my Reverb VR,

So my replacement card arrived today. I was told this card was tested however all security seals still in place.

Anyway new card fitted and the exact problem is still there, chances of having a 2and faulty card ?

So although this post is labelled ( Oculus Rift VR Issue ) I'd like to point out I had the same issue when trying my Reverb VR,

So my replacement card arrived today. I was told this card was tested however all security seals still in place.

Anyway new card fitted and the exact problem is still there, chances of having a 2and faulty card ?

Hard to say, perhaps the power supply is not enough.

Don B

So after continuing to have these issues even after receiving my new RTX2080TI

I was asked by the Tech guys at Scan to wipe all partitions and do a fresh install of everything to see if it help.............. And no joy, I also have a HX 750W psu so I thought worth a try. Didnt make a difference at all.

Scan computers told me I had two options,

RMA the card for a second time or RTB my full system. So the full system is going back Monday clearly this issue is much bigger than I originally thought.