[FIXED INTERNALLY]F18 TWS Memory Aspect keeps getting updated

frosty1

• ED Team
Like I said, I can reproduce in OB but not internally, so better to wait until next OB and then I'll check again

I have marked the thread fixed internally.

If after the update things still dont look right we can revisit this report.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi guys, I was checking the last update (good one by the way) and the aspect memory is fixed but the missile still guides magically. I attached a track where I intentionally lose radar contact by moving the antenna up fully and the aspect in radar and HUD is fine, fixed. But the missile guides anyway. I made the target make two turns and the missile followed both turns until the exact time that the memory timer (32) reached 0, at that time the missile went ballistic.

aspect memory3.trk

Stay safe

Okay I just tested it with a different miz, it's working correctly as the extrapolated aspect isn't updated with the "real" aspect.

Edit: I can reproduce the bug in OB but not internally, so will check after the next OB update to see if it still happens

Once you enter a turning fight (say, you missiles missed) this can get you disoriented pretty quick when you pull your nose toward the bandit again. By turning fight I mean evasive maneuvers. You can quickly cycle to guns then back (never tried it though;) or press reset. I never set mem that high. Well, let me correct that, I never had to.

Edited by Gripes323

Guys, the thing is that the aspect memory was fixed but the missile still guides magically. I attached a track where I intentionally lose radar contact by moving the antenna up fully and the aspect in radar and HUD is fine, fixed. The missile though, guides anyway. I made the target make two turns and the missile followed both turns until the exact time that the memory timer (32) reached 0, at that time the missile went ballistic.

Stay safe

Says [Fixed internally] in the title, and there hasnt been an update since then so I guess wait until the next patch.

Please refer to my posts. It says fixed internally because one part of the bug was fixed but the other one is still broken. So there needs to be an acknowledgement from ED so they can tackle the issue.

Stay safe

It might mean that the fix didn't reach open beta yet.

No, the specific item was included in the changelog, so they missed this magic guidance part of the bug. At least that's how I see this. I might be wrong of course.

Stay safe

• 2 weeks later...

Issue is still present in current OB. Please ED can you fix this and all the TWS problems? TWS is broken since it came out, we never had the chance to enjoy it. Current two major bugs are: TWS gives launch warning outside of 10nm, TWS guides the missile magically when radar loses track and starts using the ageing timing.

Edited by hein22

Stay safe

I need to ask if it's possible to fix this currently - ie if it's possible to make the amraam guide to an arbitrary point in space, as a middle point between guiding to the real target location and completely losing midcourse updates. No idea if the engine supports something like this.

Edited by Santi871

I need to ask if it's possible to fix this currently - ie the amraam guiding to an arbitrary point in space, as a middle point between guiding to the real target location and completely losing midcourse updates. No idea if the engine supports something like this.

No, no arbitrary point, it guides exactly to the target as long as memory is long enough. Test it with 32 seconds in radar data page and see it for yourself.

Stay safe

You misunderstood what I meant - please re-read. I'll edit to make it a bit clearer.

I still understand it as before. Anyway, I did my part of testing this thoroughly and report the issues here. It's in your hands now, I hope though you can make TWS work some day. Thanks for the support.

Stay safe

I still understand it as before. Anyway, I did my part of testing this thoroughly and report the issues here. It's in your hands now, I hope though you can make TWS work some day. Thanks for the support.

Okay, I'll write it again in hopes of getting my point across more clearly.

I don't know if it's possible, or rather, if it's a simple bug fix or an "overhaul" type of thing, to have an amraam (or any fox3 or other missiles that have INS for that matter), to guide to where the radar thinks the target is.

I've never seen any behavior in DCS that shows it's possible. All I've seen is that either:

- the radar sees the target and the missile guides to the real position of the target, or

- the radar doesn't see the target and the missile guides to where the target was last seen

Currently, the Hornet's track memory is counting as the radar seeing the target.

With the Hornet's (and Tomcat's) track memory, we're introducing a 3rd possible state:

- the radar doesn't see the target, but is estimating the position of the target (as a position that may or may not be the real target's position), and the missile needs to be guided to this position

And that's what I don't know is possible or not. Hopefully I make more sense now.

Okay, I'll write it again in hopes of getting my point across more clearly.

I don't know if it's possible, or rather, if it's a simple bug fix or an "overhaul" type of thing, to have an amraam (or any fox3 or other missiles that have INS for that matter), to guide to where the radar thinks the target is.

I've never seen any behavior in DCS that shows it's possible. All I've seen is that either:

- the radar sees the target and the missile guides to the real position of the target, or

- the radar doesn't see the target and the missile guides to where the target was last seen

Currently, the Hornet's track memory is counting as the radar seeing the target.

With the Hornet's (and Tomcat's) track memory, we're introducing a 3rd possible state:

- the radar doesn't see the target, but is estimating the position of the target (as a position that may or may not be the real target's position), and the missile needs to be guided to this position

And that's what I don't know is possible or not. Hopefully I make more sense now.

Thank you for the details. Trackfile Memory has nothing to do with radar ageing setting, and that ageing setting is what is generating this situation. Additionally, TWS in the hornet isn't working like it works "good" in other modules so something is going on, right? Giving launch warnings, DT2 not guiding midcourse, L&S guiding when radar in ageing, etc. Sorry to put all my frustrations here.

Edited by hein22

Stay safe

Thank you for the details. Trackfile Memory has nothing to do with radar ageing setting, and that ageing setting is what is generating this situation. Additionally, TWS in the hornet isn't working like it works "good" in other modules so something is going on, right? Giving launch warnings, DT2 not guiding midcourse, L&S guiding when radar in ageing, etc. Sorry to put all my frustrations here.

You're right, I meant aging targets not being updated by the radar. Same thing. The other issues are reported as well.

Santi, sorry to jump in here again. Based on what you said, is it safe to say that we do have a bug where the radar is in trackfile memory (currently the same as age) and instead of going to last position it performs a pursuit like in tracking mode?

Stay safe

• 2 weeks later...