Helicopters and civilian ops project

Multiplayer team

5 hours ago, Multiplayer team said:

Sorry for that, there was nothing you did wrong! It was indeed a bug deep in our system that would only really surface after the mission was already running for a very long time and make some units disappear. It was a bit tricky to track down but it is finally solved! 

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Awesome, thanks for the followup and fix!  I'll give it another try after work today!

• Like 1

Hi, when I sim in DCS it's very often in SaR, for nearly a year now. I keep coming back, so you guys are obviously doing a great job 🙂 

I struggle with SRS in the Mi-8: my vote would be for a Discord. Simple and easy for anyone to get on. 

If I had one big request, it would probably be to add a refueling carrier (or maybe a hospital ship!) somewhere up the coast to make it more possible to rescue the people up near Sevastopol. Failing that, how about a spawn point at Sochi and Batumi to get more from the map?

I'd also like to see some long-distance ops in the main part of the map, similar to the distance we get at Tblisi so there is some flying time involved. 

Finally I just want to say THANK YOU! it's such a refreshing change to rescue people without being shot at 🙂

• Like 1

Additional Server Search and Rescue Syria launched and available.

Please check briefing for information.

Bear in mind that Beirut Hospital roof landing pad doesn't have collision yet (will be fixed in next Syria update), so land near the hospital and if you bring cargo on sling load try to put it in hospital zone which you can find in briefing pictures.

For now we are launching only SAR and factories with med supplies. Later we will launch fire fighting zones.
Weather rotation is two options for now, clear starting at dawn and one with the dust fog.

V7O0iua.jpg

yqM9EoP.jpg

xV3dUdk.jpg

9gWqXUW.jpg

uue0G2F.jpg

5Gjavr6.jpg

UmrIpSA.jpg

RD5yPuE.jpg

RFqWDtg.jpg

QLXtNTE.jpg

• Like 3

Hi, everyone! 

Last night I tried the SAR server for the first time with my friends, it's very AWSOME indeed! As a P3D player I am surprised to find a place that is equally interesting as flying commercial operations in DCS. It's very enjoyable flying Mi-8 in the mountains, also very challenging to locate and pick up those requiring rescue, excellent flying experience.

Personally I have some suggestions for the server that I think can greatly enhance the experience:

First, I think we need some indication for difficulty. Since the server map has different SAR mission areas I think it will be better for players to know which area will get easier tasks and which area will get tougher ones. Personally I think an adequate landing ground is a definitive factor in determining whether the task is difficult or not... Hovering near a mountain with woods below is such a pain...

Second, I'd like to ask if it is possible to somehow "group" the personnel needing rescue and I can pick them up all in a longer hover? Currently I need to hover precisely above each individual person with 10 secs in order to pick them up, and there're usually 2-3 people around the mission spot so I need to repeat the procedure 2-3 times... Personally I think its a bit unrealistic because usually people can move and grab the wire themselves... Also in the pilot seat I have no downward sight at all, so it's very difficult to know where is the precise location of every individual person. If they are in the woods, then it's next to impossible... This is the point that makes the operation unnecessarily difficult and hope that it can be improved.

One last thing is the ground crew... It doesn't seem to react to my request for changing fuel loads? Says "nothing we can do"? A bit confused there.

This is my two cents as a new player for the sever, it's such a great server for practicing basic flying skills and I'll appreciate all the improvements made by the server team. Thank you for your effort and please keep up the excellent work! 👏

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.03.12 - 21.54.04.52.png

• Like 3

Guys I've been playing this server off and on for a few months now and I absolutely love it. Previously I was more of an offline SP guy, but this is now my go-to when I open DCS.

I would like to congratulate the team on bringing firefighting onto the server. I've been doing a lot of it over the last couple of days and it is very immersive. I have some ideas that I think would be great to be implemented though.

- Is there anyway to implement the destroyed environment effect from the mission editor into the path of the fire? I.e. If it goes through a town, it would leave the buildings in it's path destroyed. Again, not sure if this is possible, or would be too resource hungry, but I feel it would add to the immersion and increase the desire to stop the fire passing through towns. I don't know if this effect works in the forests, but that would also be cool.

- Many, if not most, UH-1H or Bell 205 Helitacks (And other "Huey" types like the 212's, 214's, 412's) operate single pilot, to reduce weight, from the left seat as that side is better for looking down, as you lean over your collective arm, rather than in the right seat where you'd have to lean the other way. Would it be possible for some or all of the firefighting hueys to be single pilot from the left seat?

In terms of the SAR side, as I say, I'm a big fan. I do have some ideas for improvement of realism though.

- Ropes. I feel like this doesn't quite capture the winching aspect of SAR rescue. I propose that instead of selecting a rope length, the aircraft have a set winch length, and anything under that a pickup would be able to be performed. Perhaps with the time for the hover required varying depending on altitude. So a Mi-8 could have a 300' winch cable, the Huey a 200' winch cable and the Gazelle no winch at all or a shorter one. Depending on what is realistic. I am happy to research this for the Devs if they like. 

- As the previous post said, I feel for the average pickup It would be better and more realistic to have to hover in one spot and the group moves to the winch. With more pickups requiring a different length of time.

- I don't know if it would be possible that when you arrive at a winch rescue, there is a timer to deploy the rescue crewman, then you can move away, and then come back and there is a set time for each rescue based on altitude, and including winching back up the crewman at the end... Might not be worth the hassle, but would be more realistic.

The only other suggestion I have is for the weather. Most of the time I play there is a strong wind. I feel it would be more challenging if there was a moderate wind with stronger gusts, rather than just the strong steady wind. Small point, but one I noticed.

There was also talk of mods being allowed on the server. Upaut and Eight Ball have some wonderful looking mods, (including firefighting tanks for the huey as can be seen here: Addon Tents, Watchtower, UH-1-Cargo - DCS Mods - ED Forums (eagle.ru)) Perhaps they could be convinced to put together a single mod package that would implement a selection of these additions to make the server scenarios more diverse? While allowing a single mod to be installed or activated to play on the server.

Just some thoughts to improve what is already a wonderful server. I absolutely love it. And none of these suggestions indicate anything that takes away my enjoyment from what you guys have built. Thanks for all your efforts, it really is brilliant. 

Edited by Grievo
  • Like 2

i7-9700F, 32Gb RAM, RTX 2080 Super, HP Reverb G2.

Not sure if it's a bug or not, but in the Syria server around Haifa and Beirut, the hospitals all seem to be at or near capacity even when there's no one on the server. Bit frustrating when the next closest empty hospital is 130km away!

Like I say, I might have just been unlucky the couple of times I've tried it out, but It's been on two occasions in a row, and I've never been able to drop off a rescue (4 casualties) at the hospitals in one town. 

On 3/18/2021 at 3:07 PM, Grievo said:

Not sure if it's a bug or not, but in the Syria server around Haifa and Beirut, the hospitals all seem to be at or near capacity even when there's no one on the server. Bit frustrating when the next closest empty hospital is 130km away!

Like I say, I might have just been unlucky the couple of times I've tried it out, but It's been on two occasions in a row, and I've never been able to drop off a rescue (4 casualties) at the hospitals in one town. 

Hey Grievo!

Sorry for that experience, we've fixed this shortly after you posted, it was indeed an oversight which left the hospitals with too little capacity. Please keep reporting issues like these as we try to improve balance as pilots fly. Depending on how many people fly we may need to make adjustments here and there, and it's easier for us to make the more reports we receive on how thigns are going for you guys!

Also thanks for your feedback, we really value all of it. Of course as you guys know there are certain limitations as to what the API allows us to do and what not. For instance of now we are very limited with smoke. While the big smoke effect looks amazing and we'd really love to use it, but unfortunately as of now there is no API to remove it once we pop it, plus a few other issues that make it very impractical. The other smoke colors we can pop are green, red, orange and blue. We have decided that white is the most suitable. We are constantly monitoring API changes and try to keep improving things as DCS matures, in the meanwhile we'll keep adding more features like more transport and ferry missions, car accidents etc. 

Please keep posting your thoughts and ideas! 

• Like 2

It's a good scenario. But it it's a little tedious to go into the radio menu to drop water. It would be better if water dropping could be initiated by trigger or cargo unhook buttons instead. It's probably different for each of the helicopters but I think it should be possible.

17 hours ago, Gronank said:

It's a good scenario. But it it's a little tedious to go into the radio menu to drop water. It would be better if water dropping could be initiated by trigger or cargo unhook buttons instead. It's probably different for each of the helicopters but I think it should be possible.

we absolutely agree with you, and if it was possible we would already hav it this way. as soon as there is a change in the api that allows us to do it, you will have it! that's a promise. same with big smoke 🙂

• Like 1

I was thinking of the X: Start Listen Command trigger action. I managed to get it to work in sp, but I have no idea of how it would work in mp. You're right that there isn't any published script API for doing the same. A bit unfortunate.

On 3/21/2021 at 10:26 PM, Gronank said:

I was thinking of the X: Start Listen Command trigger action. I managed to get it to work in sp, but I have no idea of how it would work in mp. You're right that there isn't any published script API for doing the same. A bit unfortunate.

I just use voice attack for it mate. Tee it up so on the command "Drop" it does all the button pushing for me...

A button would be nice, but we beggars can't be choosers!

• Like 1

It's realy a great pleasure to fly SAR missions over Caucasus on your server !!!Thanks !!!! Great job !!! 

But can you tell me why sometimes flight hours are not counted ? This afternoon I flew over an hour in the middle of the storm and picked up 7 guys that I dropped off at the Kutaisi West hospital (mission 3905 and 3914) .I went back to my starting point safely but there were no updates to my data 5 minutes before the restart.

I reconnected on the new part but nothing was recorded.

1.jpg

Screen_210330_174219.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by Fred77

It also happens on some missions that you can not take all the guys on the same mission, only one of them gets on board. Even when you take off and land ,it  doesn't work.

4.jpg

Screen_210324_142301.png

Edited by Fred77

Hi guys, thinking bout trying this server out tomorrow evening, it’s sounds amazing.   Quick question, in regards to the Huey, but does the server allow the full Multicrew function to work.

would be great working as a team to get a rescue complete. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

On 3/30/2021 at 7:34 PM, Fred77 said:

It also happens on some missions that you can not take all the guys on the same mission, only one of them gets on board. Even when you take off and land ,it  doesn't work.

4.jpg

Screen_210324_142301.png

Looking into that, thank you!

We are currently working on new mission types and hover logic for SAR changes. New mission types will include some fires that are easier t obe dealth with alone or in pair (for instance warehouse fire) and we are checking possibility of random car accidents on roads.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Torun said:

It does, although there was one report of severe desync.

Thankyou.  If it’s only one report, I won’t worry to much.   If it gets to bad, we can all jump into individual aircraft. 👍👍👍

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Ok so today was the day I popped my MP cherry so to speak.   I’ve never used a public server in DCS in the last decade I’ve been flying in the sim.     What can I say. Damn guys well done.   That was stunning fun.

Multicrew worked a treat, 3 of us in a Huey with the bloke in back counting us down to casualties was just amazing. Seriously immersive..   more so as initially the server was running at sunset, so started the rescue at dusk, and completed it in darkness.    Great to see another rescue chopper working the same area and doing a searchlight scan as well.

think it’s fair to say, we will become regular users of this server.

a huge thanks to all that have put it together.  

• Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 4/7/2021 at 4:43 PM, Multiplayer team said:

Looking into that, thank you!

We are currently working on new mission types and hover logic for SAR changes. New mission types will include some fires that are easier t obe dealth with alone or in pair (for instance warehouse fire) and we are checking possibility of random car accidents on roads.

Great !! Thanks !!

• Like 1

Hi just wanted to say how much fun I've been having over the last few days on this server. it is great to see a bunch of like minded guys and gals who care more about SAR than shooting down baddies! 🙂 really enjoying the missions as well as the firefighting. Although i have to say I have yet to see an actual fire slowing down or getting smaller after many many water drops onto them. The other day we had 5 or 6 heli's dumping water but it didn't seem to make a dent! haha but it is super fun none-the-less. Firefighting is my new favorite team and this is my new go-to multiplayer server. You've got a new regular here!

few snaps attached for fun. Thank you for creating this server!

CyclicNL

20210407214818_1.jpg

20210409181639_1.jpg

20210409182404_1.jpg

• Like 1

Hey CyclicNL!

Glad to hear you guys are liking it this much 🙂 Regarding firefighting it is really about how you do it. Le me give you a very quick recap: do not drop the water onto the fire. While you will eventually stop individual fire cells from burning, the cells left and right of the extinguished cell will still continue to spread. So really - just like in real life - the only way to stop the fire is to cut off it's way to spread by dropping the water in front of the fire. Now where is the front you may ask? In our implementation the wind blows the fire across the map, so the front of the fire is where the smoke is blowing to! Do so at high speed, so you draw a line as long as possible. The fire will not be able to cross this line. It is best to do this from the sides of the fire. While you can do it from the center, you will end up splitting the fire in two, and then you'll have 4 edges to fight, which will grow back together if not being actively fought.

Hope this helps, let us know!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/9/2021 at 11:17 AM, DieSaureGurke said:

Any chance you could disable the pure client needed ? I personally got loads of mods installed (Due to my wing etc) and it can be a bit painfull to install/deinstall them every time I want to join the SAR server. 

Have a look at JSGME. It's a rather old pice of software, but makes adding and removing your mods painfree. Not only usefull if you want to fly on servers that require a pure client, but also if you just want to install an update. 

1 hour ago, Multiplayer team said:

Hey CyclicNL!

Glad to hear you guys are liking it this much 🙂 Regarding firefighting it is really about how you do it. Le me give you a very quick recap: do not drop the water onto the fire. While you will eventually stop individual fire cells from burning, the cells left and right of the extinguished cell will still continue to spread. So really - just like in real life - the only way to stop the fire is to cut off it's way to spread by dropping the water in front of the fire. Now where is the front you may ask? In our implementation the wind blows the fire across the map, so the front of the fire is where the smoke is blowing to! Do so at high speed, so you draw a line as long as possible. The fire will not be able to cross this line. It is best to do this from the sides of the fire. While you can do it from the center, you will end up splitting the fire in two, and then you'll have 4 edges to fight, which will grow back together if not being actively fought.

Hope this helps, let us know!

Thanks for the reply! I think i've been doing that, but i'll try again later today! 🙂 it is fun none-the-less!!

It appears the SAR heli's are bugged at the moment? Anytime i just into one i don't have any f10 menu. while on the aerial firefighting hueys I do.

Thanks for bringing us more fun content!

• Like 1