VPC Warbrd Base issue

FlyBoyd

All,

I have a fairly recent problem that I haven't seen before and I can't seem to figure out what is causing the issue.

When I pull back all the way on the stick the controller is no longer recognized and the in game control centers. So when dogfighting for example and I pull everything I have to the stop, all of sudden the airplane will level and not give any pull input. When I look down at the virtual stick it is now centered. Obviously once I let go and pull again the control will regain control. It seems it only happens at the stops of the vertical axis. It does it when I push all the way forward as well.

I have made sure the firmware was up to date and even ran another calibration. The stick does not do the same behaviour in the calibration screen, or the windows controller screen where you see the plus symbol along the axis. It appears it only happens in game.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I am using the FA-18 TM stick with an extension on a Virpil VPC WarBRD base.

Intel I9-9900k, Gigabyte AORUS Ultra, 64GB G.SKILL Trident Z Royal 3200, EVGA 2080Ti, Samsung M.2 960 Pro 512, Samsung M.2 960 Pro 1TB, MCG, Vipril, TM Controls, SLAW device rudders, Obutto Revolution, Valve Index

There are various posts over at Virpil forums of the wires in the cable that go from the stick connector to the circuitboard can get broken (they are full copper which makes them to stiff). If you have an ohm meter you can check the resistance per wire when bending them. If the value of one of the wires jump up from zero, you've nailed it.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

There are various posts over at Virpil forums of the wires in the cable that go from the stick connector to the circuitboard can get broken (they are full copper which makes them to stiff). If you have an ohm meter you can check the resistance per wire when bending them. If the value of one of the wires jump up from zero, you've nailed it.

if it was this fault the stick axis would work fine, but the grip buttons probably would not work

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

if it was this fault the stick axis would work fine, but the grip buttons probably would not work

Also the base would not work flawless in the windows controller screen and the issue wouldn't appear in game only. This sounds more like a software issue than a hardware fault.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

Sounds like sensor value overflow, I think there is an option to offset the range in their software. Does it go to center exactly or to some opposite position ?

It goes to center exactly. The controls and stick just zeroize, even though I am holding back stick pressure. I can still roll the airplane as well during this. The only way to reset it is to release back stick pressure and then it will resume. It's like the computer cannot detect the controller when it's all the way back or all the way forward.

Intel I9-9900k, Gigabyte AORUS Ultra, 64GB G.SKILL Trident Z Royal 3200, EVGA 2080Ti, Samsung M.2 960 Pro 512, Samsung M.2 960 Pro 1TB, MCG, Vipril, TM Controls, SLAW device rudders, Obutto Revolution, Valve Index

Also the base would not work flawless in the windows controller screen and the issue wouldn't appear in game only. This sounds more like a software issue than a hardware fault.

Yeah it appears it only happens in game and I have not been able to duplicate it in any calibration or axis screen.

Not sure what software issue though.

VPC Warbrd Base issue

It goes to center exactly. The controls and stick just zeroize, even though I am holding back stick pressure. I can still roll the airplane as well during this. The only way to reset it is to release back stick pressure and then it will resume. It's like the computer cannot detect the controller when it's all the way back or all the way forward.

When moving from one end to the other check that the values are continuous, if there is a discontinuity, then try to activate the “offset” setting shown in the picture here-attached.

Maybe also try to calibrate the axis and post a screenshot of the values (min, center, max) that could be interesting to understand if it is a software issue or an electronic sensing issue. I’ve had to enable the “offset” on one of my axis as well because the position would “overflow” somewhere in the range of motion.

4c162b94780e4c93831dd160f88afc9a.jpg

Edited by BlackSharkAce

Let us know when / how you solve it :)

So in the software I would not see the spike. It was only in the sim. I did another test flight the other day and I couldn't duplicate the issue. I will keep an eye on it.

I didn't set the offset because it seems to be working normal now. I will keep an eye on it and let you know if it changes.

Thanks for the help!!

can confirm, had the same issue, make a ticket with Virpil, they reacted quite fast with me. new cable, everything fine. don't forget to calibrate...

• 1 month later...

This SOUNDS like a classic problem I have at times. Do you have another stick plugged in. I have 3 VPC bases, 1 real simulator stick plugged in at all times. Sometimes a plane, say the f18, will recognize two or more sticks plugged in and DCS auto signs the elevator and aileron axis to two or more sticks. So let's say I'm using my f18 stick with virpil base and I pull back, like you're doing, and then DCS gets even the ever so slight signal from one of my other sticks and it will send that spike and overrides my f18 stick. DCS now thinks my f18 stick is centered and I have to centre my f18 stick and pull back again. This could happen over and over again. If you go to calibrate your stick it will look normal because in calibration, the other sticks are ignored. Make sure you have ONLY ONE stick assigned to each aircraft. Even my saitek throttle quadrant can mess things up as described. In DCS clear all other sticks out in the axis assignments

Edited by chief