AWACS and Lua script

Hi everybody,

I am wondering if it is possible to ask the dev team for some improvement on lua abilities. I am coding a software that model an AWACS with C6 friends and I need some information that are not provided yet. I would really appreciate to share a few words about that with someone that could help me to know exactely what kind of information we will have in 1.1 version.

Many thanks.

Can see the development of the AWACS software below:

console-002-vign.jpg

Hi Galevsky! You're doing something that I've always wanted to see.

As of 1.1 aircraft info seems to be exported by LUA, but unfortunately there is nothing to actually export an AWACS/EWR radar contacts, nor are the AWACS/EWRs modelled very realistically at this time.

Perhaps it will be added in 1.2 I'm very intererested in your project though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Actually, I needn't AWACS information, since I process my own AWACS behaviour..... I just need teh coordinates of each aircrafts, then I check if AWACS is blind for each aircraft or not.... so, I have all I need for AWACS, and ATC missions.

But I need more information in general events, such as kill, or ejection, to have a whole ACMI functionality. (the aim is to compute a debriefing xml file, that can automatically update pilots stats and numbers of units in campaign for squadrons website.)

Galevsky, how do you acount for LOS though? And how do you account for AWACS/EWR being destroyed?

The probelm here is that to have your functionality tied to such an aircraft or station it will be functioning 'properly' in the game, thus kinda making your software moot for the Russian side at least (thanks to their data link)

But yes, what you ask for - the coordinates - is exported.

As for the second part, look at this thread:

http://forum.lockon.ru/viewtopic.php?t=2208

While not -exactly- what you're asking for, it should be useful.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

If someone have good knowledge on AWACS abilities, please DO NOT HESITATE to contact me and do your best for a high-quality AWACS apllication, coupled with LO.

We must model AWACS with as much quality as we can, concerning data (e.g. : ranges...) and all the different scanning modes (we will not take care of passive mode, since AWACS, in the game, make all the ennemies RWR ringing.

In fact, the IA AWACS in game will send us its coords too. So, I just have to consider the position of all the aircrafts from that origin point.

Then, the range between AWACS and aircraft is compared to max. range, depending on the current active mode. We also check if the aircraft is not behind AWACS, in the "blind zone". afterwards, we know if the aircraft must be plotted or not in the screen.

Thks for the link, it is helpful indeed.

Right, but you are not able to account for terrain.

In addition, as I already mentioned, the fact that the AWACS aircraft works properly within LO it makes your app a bit moot insifar as the Russian side goes anyway, due to the datalink.

Officially AWACS can see 300km away, and I never heard about it havign a blind zone. Unoficially, 500km. For the US E3 anyway, the E2 may have a slightly worse range. Additionally, you should be able to display the various airbases and maybe some of the bigger cities on the AWACS screen, as these will make very good reference points for aircraft in LOMAC.

You're going to have to find out the various cross sections and whatnot for aircraft as modelled in LO, so that you can compute wether the airraft will be displayed or no, as well as other factors like altitude, velocity and vector.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree with you on the russian data link that doesn't operate in that way.

For AB, I can model them like the mountains, you know, there not mobile, so I can draw a rectangle with fixed coords in a file. No pb with all fixed objects.

Concerning the blind zone, someone said to me that an AWACS is blind when looking behind itself. But I don't know all the data exactly. That is the reason why I am looking for someone who knows.

Concerning the vector, we can compute all the data we need with that:

local o = LoGetWorldObjects()

for k,v in pairs(o) do

io.write(string.format("t = %.2f, ID = %d, name = %s, country = %s(%s), LatLongAlt = (%f, %f, %f), heading = %f\n", t, k, v.Name, v.Country, v.Coalition, v.LatLongAlt.Lat, v.LatLongAlt.Long, v.LatLongAlt.Alt, v.Heading))

As for the cross section, LO is equiped with an awesome AWACS that can see all around the map. I will not take into account the cross section if pilots can see all the aircrafts with no pb. No interest. I can only know if a plane is beaming, and that's all. But sufficient..... since it won't disappear in the MFD of the pilots.

VERY GOOD!!!

One question: Your program works only for planes AWACS, or for ground radars, such as 55G6 too?

P.S. Sorry for my English.

Коричневые очки никогда не поранят мозг. Они небьющиеся.

Brown-coloured spectacles will never harm a brain. They are unbreakable. (с) Me

сфсвсг

I'm the future of the Russian government.

According to Scott Lofgren,

Bentley Systems global director.

• ED Team

To Galevsky

Can you write what LUA data from game are necessary to you for that?

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

Galevsky, Chizh, I do have a reccomendation for this; could you make it so that it is possible, through LUA to control the following:

Emission from AWACS (radar on/off, so that in game you cannot see it on RWR/SPO when it is off)

Report from AWACS and DATALINK on/off. Because a player will be manning the AWACS console, it would be nice for others to rely on this player instead of being able to see everything on datalink or jsut ask AWACS for bandit through menu. That way they must ask the player.

When the 'AWACS console' logs in, it should disable AWACS reports, and enable the ability to turn AWACS radar on/off. (Same for EWR or ship that it is 'attached to')

To do this, some sort of ID for the AWACS/EWR/Ship would need to be exported so that those aspects of it can be controlled through LUA.

An additional /VERY USEFUL/ ability would be to be able to alter AWACS waypoints from this console, and the ability to order it to land or take off.

While I realize all this may not be possible, the AWACS radar on/off and AWACS reports on/off should be mandatory I believe.

The following would be nice:

Ability to take control of AWACS via this console by using a password.

Possibly multiple consoles could be connected ot the same AWACS, limited by a setting in config file or in the LUA script.

Export of aircraft data: Position, vector, side, altitude, kill event (if the aircraft is destroyed, the rbeakup into multiple pieces can be seen on radar)

Export/Import of AWACS plane data: Radar status (on/off), Report Status (On/Off), Datalink On/OFF.

Export from AWACS (or any other platform that could be used by the console): Object ID, position, altitude.

If possible, export RADAR VISIBILITY DATA between two objects. This could be very useful and could avoid Galevsky having to write his own radar model.

It would be useful if it were possible to designate in some way that an object is to have its data exported as an 'awacs object' in the editor.

It would be useful to be able to export awacs for each side to a different port on the same server.

What do you think, Galevsky? Since you're writing the software you could better tell what you need :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I thought you were writing it, Galevsky! ;)

Okay, I almost forgot. Very, very important:

THe console will need to receive, through LUA, and send, through LUA, messages sent between players, such as when you use alt-m or ctrl-m in multiplayer.

I agree that it WILL provide a powerful new dimention to the game; while a stand-alone AWACS type addon probably wouldn't interest a lot of people, provision by ED to make it possible by the community to model AWACS would greately enhance the online gameplay capability of this game. AFAIK, in fact, no -other- game has such a feature right now.

Ah yes ... also it may be useful to have the ability to export the onboard # for each aircraft. The console should ownly display onboard # for its own side, as a means of 'flight identification'. Or possibly the console operator could add his own tags to each contact.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

and I never heard about it havign a blind zone.

Hi,

all flying RADAR posts are unable to view perpendicular down. There is a dark zone, because the RADAR antenna is optimized to radiate horizontally. So you can expect a cone of none detection of, lets say 30x30km below the A/C depending of the hight above ground.

Alpha

very very interesting.... I'm triying to do something similar :shock: ... but when attach this code lines, that explain Galevsky and developers

local o = LoGetWorldObjects()

for k,v in pairs(o) do

io.write(string.format("t = %.2f, ID = %d, name = %s, country = %s(%s), LatLongAlt = (%f, %f, %f), heading = %f\n", t, k, v.Name, v.Country, v.Coalition, v.LatLongAlt.Lat, v.LatLongAlt.Long, v.LatLongAlt.Alt, v.Heading))

end

No data was writen to the file, and a message appears int the error.log file

"LuaExport::LuaExportNextEvent: ./Config/Export/Export.lua:68: attempt to call global `LoGetWorldObjects' (a nil value)"

Can anyone explain to me what i'm doing wrong... :? ?

Thank for your help...

ESAc_Bolichin

http://www.cruzdesanandres.com

I thought you were writing it, Galevsky! ;)

Yeah, sorry boy :oops: , but I will take my time to write it seriously later....... but now just a short comment:

THe console will need to receive, through LUA, and send, through LUA, messages sent between players, such as when you use alt-m or ctrl-m in multiplayer.

What for ? We plan this AWACS for advanced game, namely a well-organized multiplayer game. I really want to play LO as the most powerfull simulator we never flew ! The only one purpose I have is creating a squad (I am doing this) to fight against other ones.

I have a dream today, I want to see a large community of gamers divided in squads, and all these squads playing dynamic campaigns. Okay guys, calm down, I know there is no dynamic campaign in LO. But I say yes there is. There an editor, and this is the best dynamism we can obtain. Nothing to say, Human missions are much more interresting than robot ones.

So, I will do all that I can to organise a such game, providing tools for squadron to manage dynamic campaigns more easily than it is today, with tools that assist human to manage the scenario of conflict, (a campaign diary), and the numbers of units for all the countries in conflict. I will engage my whole energy in that big dream, because we have all what we need to make the most of this simulator.

Of course, I would like a more realistic game, with no HSI bugs for example, and high-realistic avionic..... and it will be necessary to improve them if we sincerely want to have one of the best simulators. But I will help the community by developing the AWACS soft, for example, or a web tools package for online squads to help them to manage dynamic campaign, since I understand the work is enormous.

Thus, I think that AWACS is designed for organised games, with vocals, not for unprepared Hyperlobby games, for example. The COM panel you can see on the screenshot I have given, show you a panel that interacts with Team Speak and allow us to switch or whisp on channels very easily & quickly... If we consider the activity of the man that will spend his night in the AWACS, (there are others parts of the soft that you haven't seen, such as ILS screens and ATC screen, so it is not an AWACS soft only)

we can imagine that he will spend a lot of time speaking in different channels to organize the tactical situation. Can we imagine seriously a team working with AWACS, who has planned his attack, well-organised, and communicating with on-game chat ??? Prior to using AWACS, let me advise them to use vocals....

So I am not sure that managing written messages could be useful... but maybe you have advantages to have it.

I agree that it WILL provide a powerful new dimention to the game; while a stand-alone AWACS type addon probably wouldn't interest a lot of people, provision by ED to make it possible by the community to model AWACS would greately enhance the online gameplay capability of this game. AFAIK, in fact, no -other- game has such a feature right now.

:D

it may be useful to have the ability to export the onboard # for each aircraft. The console should ownly display onboard # for its own side, as a means of 'flight identification'.

or possibly the console operator could add his own tags to each contact.

Ya, I have though a system of tags that the operator could write and edit as he wants. But it can be fine to have an option that use onboard # too, depending on the player preference.

Sorry GGTharos, I got mixed up... it concerns the area under the plane, it is a cone which summit is the AWACS.... and I need the exact angle of the cone.... to model this dark zone.

Alpha, do you have an idea of the angle value ? I bet it is a cylindrical cone, isn't it ?

Ahhh I see.

Anyway, it shouldn't be a problem to implement the text mesages anyway, so I would appreciate if you would.

While I agree with your vision I don't think it should be an all-consuming goal, especially when the requested feature should be fairly easy to implement.

You and I both know that LOMAC isn't going to be all about organized squads all the time, yet your AWACS console may provide some fun even for those disorganized games :)

Perhaps it will, in fact, even work as a nice promo tool to bring more players into the game.

This together with a dedicated server could potentially have us seeing 300 players on HL instead of 60 at most.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]