HP Reverb - Creating Multiple "Monitors"?

ESzczesniak

I have the HP Reverb, and have since nearly it came out. I use it almost exclusively for DCS.

For about the past month, I am finding that everytime I put the headset on, it creates multiple "monitors" in the windows display settings. This is annoying, because all of my desktop icons move off to one of these virtual monitors and I can't see them until I tell the display manager to disconnect 3 monitors. It seems to be related to "waking up" the Reverb. I don't have these issues at other times.

My normal setup is a single RTX 2080Ti card connected to a 21 inch monitor and the Reverb. A 55" 4K TV is physically connected, but in windows display manager "disconnected". Occasionally when I do civilian simming, a small 5" LCD display in a hardware CDU is connected, but this is physically disconnected.

I've tried updated the NVidia drivers and HP Reverb. Any idea what's going on and how to stop it? I didn't used to have this problem.

Windows mixed realilty creates 3 virtual 1080p monitors to handle the loading of non-UWP (win32) desktop apps inside of WMR applications. Been this way since Windows 1903. I have complained incessantly for an option to disable this, since I use a win32 app approx 0.1% of the time in VR and the 3 virtual/headless monitors cause all sorts of problems with desktop compositing.

Anyways, typical microsoft fashion there is absolutely no way to disable it. I've messed with blocking the creation of arbitrary monitor EDIDs but the WMR binary itself requires the monitors to be created on startup.

Windows mixed realilty creates 3 virtual 1080p monitors to handle the loading of non-UWP (win32) desktop apps inside of WMR applications. Been this way since Windows 1903. I have complained incessantly for an option to disable this, since I use a win32 app approx 0.1% of the time in VR and the 3 virtual/headless monitors cause all sorts of problems with desktop compositing.

Anyways, typical microsoft fashion there is absolutely no way to disable it. I've messed with blocking the creation of arbitrary monitor EDIDs but the WMR binary itself requires the monitors to be created on startup.

Well this is really annoying. It feels like something changed in the way it was handled. Now all the default monitor (and therefore icons) go to one of these virtual monitors. I don't remember always "loosing" my desktop, but those virtual monitors could have been created in the background and I wouldn't have realized it before.

So does anyone have any workarounds or ways to manage this? I really don't care if those monitors are "present" if I could just keep my desktop in place on my monitor. It is already set as "primary display" in the display settings, so I don't know what else to do.