Mavericks slaved with Tpod

Eagle7907

Hey all,

I had another interesting find on OB the other day. I was doing a mission I created where I can attack moving ground targets using LGBs and Mavericks and a TGP. When over a waypoint the distance to where the convoy is moving is about 20 miles away.

When I acquired the convoy on the TGP on the right DDI with the Mavericks video on left DDI, at great distance the cameras are not looking at the same point. I had the TGP zoomed in as far as it would go on a tank, but the Maverick would be looking slightly away from the convoy and to the right. I had to undesignated and designate again when closer because I couldn’t get the Mav to lock.

(Standby for images and track.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Mavericks slaved with Tpod

Afaik Mavs dont slave to the FLIR itself but they slave to the TGT created by the FLIR, so if the targets are moving the Mavs will only point at the position they were when you created the TGT.

Hey swift.

I understand if that is the case and you may be right. But when this happened it was instantaneous. The “points”were way off by a pretty big margin for targeting. It’s not like I designated and waited a minute to slave the maverick.

That also doesn’t account for when I undesignated waiting to get closer then designate again and they both matched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Eagle7907

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Yeah, the Mav seeker slaves slightly away from the TGT diamond. I sometimes designate a target slightly to the right of the real one, so that the seeker slaves to the correct point, but only if I'm coming from far away.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

So I did the mission again keeping trusty Swift's remarks in hand. It does appear he is correct. To account for the differences between the two target designations is the fact that the first is too far away for the Maverick seeker to lock. The second one is closer and therefore tracking a vehicle once the new target spot is designated.

See below:

Screen_200401_111150.png?dl=0

I then undesignated, flew closer, designate again and watched the maverick video slew and then lock on one of the vehicles.

I had much better success with the LGBs. The trick it seems is to keep updating the release calculations since the CCRP(or AUTO) point is based off of a stationary point. After release, I almost immediately start to lase. This way the bomb has plenty of time to correct its trajectory and make contact.

This is a PITA for the Hornet. It seems like the best technique is to not use the TGP at all if the target is moving. Is there any better technique? Oh, LMAVs. But that's not good for killing defenses.

Edited by Eagle7907