I have a question about reinstalling my OS today.

Hi all! How is everybody?

I'm getting ready to unplug all external and internal drives (8 of them) with the exception of the C-Drive, because it's been 2 years since I bought a new MB, CPU, PSU, M2 drives, GPU, and RAM sticks, loaded it all in the old box, and installed Windows 10, and everything is slowing down and getting buggy, especially installed games. Bitmaster gave me some excellent advice, very patiently going back and forth with me via PM, and I want to give him a break for a bit, though I'm sure he would go on for ages without complaining if I never stopped.

One of the things he suggested was to leave most of the games on the drives, because I have 579 games on Steam, several hundred on Oculus, and dozens on Viveport (yes, I went nuts when I first got my Oculus, and just couldn't stop buying everything that seemed like it would be worth trying) and unplug all but the C-Drive, which happens to be an NVMe, saying that I could use the installers to link up with the games again after I reinstall the OS and re-plug the drives.

My problem Is that I don't know how to do this for these platforms, and also this: my games are all over the place in "relocated" or overflow libraries. I tried putting everything on the two 1TB NVME drives, but these quickly filled, and I had to assign the 2TB SATA SSD, then the various HDDs as secondary, or relocated, libraries. I would like to put all the games, pictures, music, and documents on the 6TB HDD I just bought (a speedy 7200 RPM, 256MB cache drive), and put my various simulators, Word, the OS, and programs on the NVMe's.Can I just copy and paste the games from their various homes, deposit them onto the 6TB HDD, and have the game installers hunt for and install them? If so, how is this done, generally-speaking (or specifically if you have the time)? Something tells me, however, that it's not nearly that easy.

Asus ROG Maximus X Hero MB

Intel i7-8700K 5.2 GHz delidded & lapped

Corsair H100i CPU watercooler

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2 80+ Platinum PSU

EVGA FTW3 watercooled GTX-1080Ti

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

Two Toshiba XG5 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD's

Various SSDs and HDDs, 24 terabytes

6 Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fans in push/pull on CPU and GPU radiators.

Windows 10 Pro 64, Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog throttle and flight stick.

Haha, no no, it's all OK....family and close friends are much more time consuming, HAHA !!

Take it easy, it will all sort out once you start doing it...and if you have to do it 2 or 3 times, dont worry. If I do a NEW platform I often install it first time to get to know the problems, look around how to fix them and then have a 2nd or even 3rd attempt that is "clean" to finally install the rig.

That is NO SHAME. We all do it that way I dare to say. With "we" I mean all folks who do this often or for a living. YOu cannot know it all before, some wisdom and knowledge comes from DOING IT and then, in IT World...you wipe the disk and do it again, better..as you know better by then.

Learning by doing and doing for learning !

Start here and watch some YT, basically what I wrote to you.. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=steam+libraries+relocate+

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X