EDM EXPORTER for Blender 2.8

tobi

Hi, 

Thanks for the plugin. It has helped my project along immensely.

I have hit a wall an am wondering if it is me or the plugin. I am assuming me.

The problem

I have created an aircraft - the animations work and export  (tested in model viewer)

The problem is only one of the textures exports - the fuselage texture. I have selected glass for the windows, the propeller blades and nacelles have their own texture and the propellers at speed have their own. In the shading menu all the textures are attached to the right meshes.

Given that I am new to blender (it has been a very steep learning curve) I am assuming I have not connected or connected something wrong. 

I've attached picture so you can see what I mean.

Cameron

Screenshot (7).png

Hi All,

Solved my problem. I feel like I'm dumpster diving. Not that I would know what that is like!!!! 

I found the solution in one of Fireblazes video (Near the end titled  exporting and getting ready for blender 2.8)

It turns out in the EDM section under the Diffuse color map section. I had the filename's all the same.

Thank you if you started thinking about it. For those who don't know. Hopefully you will be saved a few hours

• 3 weeks later...

We I try to add a simple cube "ShellNode"/Collision Mesh I get this error:

Armature
Bottom
Cube
Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.92\scripts\addons\io_BlenderEdmExporter\__init__.py", line 51, in execute
    edmmodel=createEDMModel()
  File "C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.92\scripts\addons\io_BlenderEdmExporter\edmexporter.py", line 1547, in createEDMModel
    r=ShellNode(c)
  File "C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.92\scripts\addons\io_BlenderEdmExporter\edmexporter.py", line 1167, in __init__
    verts,tris=createMesh(mesh,True,False)
  File "C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.92\scripts\addons\io_BlenderEdmExporter\edmexporter.py", line 962, in createMesh

tri=addTriSimple([loop[0],loop[1],loop[2]],False)

TypeError: addTriSimple() takes 1 positional argument but 2 were given

Seems to be another problem with my triangles, I have no idea what I am doing wrong 😞 

Edit: ahh I hadn't "triangulated" the cube vertices, In edit mode press ctrl+t , if anyone has the same issue. 🙂 

Edit 2: ARRHH thought I had fixed it but it was just compliaing about UV Maps

Armature
Bottom
Cube
Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.92\scripts\addons\io_BlenderEdmExporter\__init__.py", line 50, in execute
    prepareObjects()
  File "C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.92\scripts\addons\io_BlenderEdmExporter\edmexporter.py", line 1773, in prepareObjects
    uv=mathutils.Vector([uv_layer[loop_index].uv[0],1.0-uv_layer[loop_index].uv[1]]) #uv
IndexError: bpy_prop_collection[index]: index 0 out of range, size 0

Now it is back to complianig about tri again

File "C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.92\scripts\addons\io_BlenderEdmExporter\edmexporter.py", line 962, in createMesh
    tri=addTriSimple([loop[0],loop[1],loop[2]],False)
TypeError: addTriSimple() takes 1 positional argument but 2 were given

This is impossible!!!!

Edit3: This looks like it is a know bug https://github.com/tobi-be/BlenderEdmExporter/issues/18

I will update, why didn't I check the GitHub bugs list hours ago!

Edited by jib

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

2 hours ago, tobi said:

Yes there was a bug!

No worries, these things happen , glad you got it fixed. I got the export working in the end with version 1.0.6.

Well my model is still mostly stuck in the ground (I was hoping the Collison mesh would fix that!) maybe I just have to move some coordinates around somewhere???

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

• 3 weeks later...

New Blender user with next to zero experience here. Imported this .dae file from Sketchup to Blender and trying to export as EDM with the following error. Object is far from being finished, but this is a test run to see if it's possible to get into DCS.

**UPDATE**: Just had to add an armature.. whatever that is lol

image.pngS.

Edited by Slick_441

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a request for Features that we need in this tool

1. Mesh visibilty for different arguments (currently 1 mesh can only be visibility controlled in 1 argument)

2. Control over lights brightness 0% to 100%

3. same thing with omni lights

4. Ability to name segment and lines in a separate manner (cannot name the collision and segment same in blender)

Edited by Neoshot

Hi neo,
Yes those are missing. Thank you for your input! Right now I am not shure if or when I continue my work on the exporter. It is very hard and time consuming to create it without official support in an environment where some needed features are not present. Most modder struggle with readable lua code. Here we have nothing readable just to give a comparison what the work on this means. It was a lot of effort but it also was very frustrating. A lot of user complained very hard about errors even if they obviously did not read the readme or spend more time on it than downloading a model click on export and blaming the exporter. Together with changes in my job situation it is hard to say when or if at all.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hello friends,

On Tobi's advice that I had in MP, and that I thank for the incredible work he has done, I am asking you for a difficulty that I am encountering.

I try to create under Blender + EDM pluggin an animated character to insert it in DCS World under the model of an M249 infantry.

When I analyze the model "E: \ Program Files \ Eagle Dynamics \ DCS World OpenBeta \ Bazar \ World \ Shapes \ soldier_m249.edm", I see:
>>> that arg n ° 2 (start) starts the process between 0 and 1;
>>> that arg n ° 8 (walk) which corresponds to the walk cycle, is triggered only if arg n ° 2 is at 1.

With my 3D model:
>> I created an animation for arg n ° 2
>> and another for arg n ° 8
and despite a lot of testing I fail to get the correct animation.

If I only export arg n ° 2
>> everything looks correct in ModelViewer2 (but I only have the "start" animation)

If I only export arg n ° 8
>> I don't see any arg in ModelViewer2

If I export the 2 args (n° 2 and n° 😎
>> If I don't turn off rendering in the desired ranges, I can see my 2 arguments in ModelViewer2, but the animation of the 2 args gets mixed up.
>> If I turn off rendering in the ranges I want to mimic what I see from "soldier_m249.edm", I only see arg 2 in ModelViewer2, and when I manipulate it, the animation of the 2 args gets mixed up.

I'm new to Blender, and can't figure out what's wrong with my project?

To facilitate the analysis, I give you attached my files (Blender + folder Mods/tech including lua allowing integration into DCS as an Infantry)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15wMFYI5YMj-Hyh7cEgzoR7h7GcRPBzF3?usp=sharing

Thank you in advance to those who can help me resolve this blockage.

Kindly

(Sorry for my English .. I'm French! 😕 )

• 2 weeks later...

t5_b-iji0s4.jpgTraceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\bortn\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.90\scripts\addons\io_BlenderEdmExporter\__init__.py", line 51, in execute
edmmodel=createEDMModel()
File "C:\Users\bortn\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.90\scripts\addons\io_BlenderEdmExporter\edmexporter.py", line 1471, in createEDMModel
if bones[name].layers[0]==True: #only layer 1 is exported
KeyError: 'bpy_prop_collection[key]: key "Bone.002 " not found'

[sIGPIC]https://vk.com/vfa133[/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! Which versions of blender EDMExporter compatible with ? I tried 2.93 and 3.0 but can't see in the addons list, installing it but can't see it.

That's what blender said after click install but that's all.

Modules Installed () from 'C:\\Users\\amorphous\\Downloads\\BlenderEdmExporter-master.zip' into 'C:\\Users\\amorphous\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\2.93\\scripts\\addons'

Edited by amorphouss

Hi @tobi!

Fabulous work, we really appreciate your commitment at the JAS39 Community Mod! We had a question for you do: would it be possible to add a feature to the plug-in? We would like to be able to attach a normal map to a glass material. This allows to have the raindrop effect when you export a cockpit model to EDM in DCS World. This seem to be done out of the box with the 3Dmax Plug-in. I am not a pro, but if you need help to dissect this feature I will be more than happy to help with the help our modelers.

Example:

As always, Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

hi all , sorry to bother you but wen i add the sample edm folder to saved games / mods / tech it doesnt show in ME and if i drop it into main game folder it fails to load , can someone please advise where to install the folder once the export has been completed ? sorry , noob here. thanks.

sig sm.png

walshtimothyWW2 virtual flier - currently playing on 4ya ww2 - youtube channel here

https://www.ww2adinfinitum.blog -  https://projectoverlord.co.uk/