How did I do?

mmoccio

My first 3 wire in the hornet. How did I do? I realize I landed with auto flaps by mistake. Going to try again tomorrow with flaps to full.

F/A-18C | F-16C | JF-17 | F-14 | FC3 | AV-8B | AJS-37 | F-5E | M-2000C | Mig 15bis | C-101 | F-86 | A-10C | P-51D | Fw 190 A-8 | Christen Eagle II | Bf 109 K-4 |

Ryzen 5 2600 | MSI RTX 2070 Super | ASROCK B450m Pro | 16GB G.SKill Ripjaws 3200 DDR4 | 500GB WD Blue Internal SSD | 1TB Samsung Evo 860 SSD | Logitech X56 HOTAS | PSEYE Track IR | Delan Clip | :joystick:

Impossible to grade because you weren't configured properly, LSO would've waved you off.

Can you please tell me what else I am missing. I want to make sure I am doing everything properly.

F/A-18C | F-16C | JF-17 | F-14 | FC3 | AV-8B | AJS-37 | F-5E | M-2000C | Mig 15bis | C-101 | F-86 | A-10C | P-51D | Fw 190 A-8 | Christen Eagle II | Bf 109 K-4 |

Ryzen 5 2600 | MSI RTX 2070 Super | ASROCK B450m Pro | 16GB G.SKill Ripjaws 3200 DDR4 | 500GB WD Blue Internal SSD | 1TB Samsung Evo 860 SSD | Logitech X56 HOTAS | PSEYE Track IR | Delan Clip | :joystick:

Use Bankler's training mission and it will grade you for all phases - latest version works really well in 2.5.6

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Love the big G pull into the groove.

Your real fast, learn to be trimmed up on speed when on the downwind. It's around 140 kts depending on weight. You then do not pitch the aircraft around with the stick. Be at 1.2 miles off the carrier when you turn in and hold 30 degrees, adjust to suit. Practice, Practice, Practice:thumbup:

On speed practice (Do this for a bit to see how it all works)

Bankler's CASE 1

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Thanks for all the info everyone!

Love the big G pull into the groove.

Your real fast, learn to be trimmed up on speed when on the downwind. It's around 140 kts depending on weight. You then do not pitch the aircraft around with the stick. Be at 1.2 miles off the carrier when you turn in and hold 30 degrees, adjust to suit. Practice, Practice, Practice:thumbup:

On speed practice (Do this for a bit to see how it all works)

Bankler's CASE 1

I struggle a lot trimming on speed. Does the E bracket and velocity vector need to be aligned with the horizon line in the hud?

I struggle a lot trimming on speed. Does the E bracket and velocity vector need to be aligned with the horizon line in the hud?

The E bracket needs to be aligned with the VV. The VV needs to be where you want it to be. Putting the VV on the Horizon Line is where you’ll maintain altitude.

(E bracket and velocity vector need to be aligned) Yes, trim these together that means on speed AOA. You do this only downwind wings level when setting it, then don't pitch. Use the throttle.

(horizon line in the hud) Level in the hud means level flight only, nothing to do with on speed.

Go over Jabbers video of the complete Case 1 section by section. THAT"S what a case one is for. think of it like hitting one goal at a time. If you mess one realign for the next, so you get in the groove nice at the correct height and distance.

Learn each segment slowly, until it all comes together.

This is what it looks like before you go to the boat IRL.

They go round and round practicing this lots, you can do this to on the boat if you like. Leave the hook up.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I started practicing carrier traps doing a straight-in approach. Both Caucuses and Persian Gulf have a quick action mission that works great. I get the plane stopped and hit L Shift + R to start over again. Once you are good at a straight-in then you can work on the standard pattern which is much, much more difficult.

I would go with David's advice. Watch Jabber's and most importantly Lex's videos on boat ops. Catching the 3-wire sure feels nice. But you're going to like it much better once you're doing it consistently and just like the pros do it, following case 1 procedures.

Like David said, learn how to hit one goal at a time and one day it'll all come together and you'll be rolling into the groove on speed, on aoa, at the correct distance and glideslope and with much better chances of flying a good ball and sticking that Ok, 3.

This is how I did it:

1. Watched Lex's videos and memorized the case I pattern and the numbers I wanted to hit (ie: 600 ft 1.2-1.4 nm abeam on speed etc)

2. Started practicing arriving at the initial and level break at 350-400 kts. Most of the switchology should be done by the initial: ICLS, BRC and tacan dialed in, appropriate pages on the DDI, radalt, safe switches etc. I started learning the break between 2 and 4 nm after the bow) to give myself enough space and time for the next part:

3. Practiced slowing down further out of the level break and descending to 600 ft on the downwind. (from step 3 onwards you really have to be confortable at flying on speed/on aoa and controlling altitude with the throttle - so practice a lot of that if you want to be any good behind the boat).

4. Started practicing the IFR turn from 180 to the 90

5. Finally I started transitioning from IFR to ball flying from the 90 onwards

This whole process took many hours of practice, but it pays off. I cannot recommend Lex's videos enough. Jabbers' video also does a good job.

Thanks again to everyone for the awesome advice/ideas. I am really loving DCS and Carrier landings along with AAR have proven to be the toughest things for me so far, which is why I think I love this sim so much. I am thinking of making another video later to show progress. Not sure if anyone cares lol but maybe ill post here in a month or so if its any good.

Edited by mmoccio

And don't forget we can create our own carrier mission from scratch in the editor in 2 minutes by simply plonking a carrier on the sea.

We can keep coming back to it to adjust wind speed and direction and carrier speed and visibility to make it easier/harder to land..:)

"Where do we get such men? They leave this ship and they do their job.

Then they must find this speck lost somewhere on the sea.

When they find it they have to land on it's pitching deck.

Where do we get such men?"

- Rear Adm George Tarrant, 'The Bridges at Toko-Ri'

Edited by PoorOldSpike

My first 3 wire in the hornet. How did I do?

Horribly :D

But don't worry noble sir, everyone is a bit scary when they first start, the key is just practice!

Some great advice already in the thread, the secret is just time behind the boat sir... good luck and welcome to the boat!

:joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

;4266596']Horribly :D

But don't worry noble sir, everyone is a bit scary when they first start, the key is just practice!

Some great advice already in the thread, the secret is just time behind the boat sir... good luck and welcome to the boat!

:joystick:

Ok,

After some practice and using the awesome suggestions here, I have posted my progress. I know its far from perfect but I feel like there is some improvement. Thoughts?

Ok,

After some practice and using the awesome suggestions here, I have posted my progress. I know its far from perfect but I feel like there is some improvement. Thoughts?

My first thought is that you are flying with keyboard.

Suggestion: try to practice straight and level flight in auto mode first. Try to keep constant altitude, heading and speed. Practice level turns in auto mode second. After you master that you can practice the same in PA mode.

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

My first thought is that you are flying with keyboard.

Suggestion: try to practice straight and level flight in auto mode first. Try to keep constant altitude, heading and speed. Practice level turns in auto mode second. After you master that you can practice the same in PA mode.

I am not sure what you mean by auto/PA mode.

Auto mode is with flaps up, and auto trim works. PA mode is with flaps down where aircraft holds trimmed AoA.

Ah ok, I struggle making level turns in the break with throttle in idle. The nose always drops. I didn't do my best here but I can fly level going straight. Any suggestions there?