Very low FPS in module DCS MiG-21Bis on powerful PC

RussianKnights

For anyone who hasn't seen this posted in any of the other threads: the interim solution is to roll back video drivers to 442.16 or prior.

With 438.something I've never experienced any FPS drop associated with the radar.

It's a shame this is still the solution because with other new products having been released (unrelated to DCS), I've had to update my drivers. I suppose I could roll them back when I want to fly the MiG 21 but thats a bit rubbish.

With regard to the OP. Agree with what everybody else has said, MiG 21 has known performance issues. Massive framerate drops when using RADAR.

I'll add that I've heard some people experience a similar thing with the MiG 19 RADAR although it's not something I've noticed myself. I believe it's for this reason that the devs for the MiG 19 included a simplified RADAR presentation. Unfortunately, the MiG 21 doesn't have such an option.

If the latest patch was supposed to improve the fps drop caused by radar pointing at terrain in any way, it did not do so for me. I had updated my drivers to the latest for a recent flight sim release and immediately saw the MiG-21 radar fps drop. I have now reverted back to 442.19 (from Feb 2020) to restore MiG-21 performance. I wish they could figure out the problem and fix it, because the newest driver works really well for just about everything else and is absolutely required for the newest flight sim release.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If the latest patch was supposed to improve the fps drop caused by radar pointing at terrain in any way, it did not do so for me. I had updated my drivers to the latest for a recent flight sim release and immediately saw the MiG-21 radar fps drop. I have now reverted back to 442.19 (from Feb 2020) to restore MiG-21 performance. I wish they could figure out the problem and fix it, because the newest driver works really well for just about everything else and is absolutely required for the newest flight sim release.

Yeah, it's super annoying. It's at least playable now. The frame dropping before was atrocious. But, it's still a gigantic bummer to drop down to 20fps at times. Smooth and playable, but not pleasent.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

But, it's still a gigantic bummer to drop down to 20fps at times. Smooth and playable, but not pleasent.

I can't confirm this either. When my sim starts stuttering with the MiG-21, it's so bad you can see it stopping in an aileron roll for the fraction of a second. It's definitely not smooth and playable, at least not for me.

I spend 19 minutes without even a loss of performance with the radar on. When 20 minutes passed I the problem returned. I had to turn off the radar to finish the flight because my FPS dropped from 60 to 10.

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

RTX2060 here running with the latest drivers & getting the frame drops (driver version 452.06).

Worth noting the performance is pretty stable using an older version as suggested, in my case : 441.87.

I was using even older drivers and had really good performance.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Mig-21 module is the only one among others that is unplayable right now.

With everything ranging from F-18 to Ka-50 I have decent 40-60 FPS on my medium PC:

Gtx1060 32 Gb Ram i7 7700

Everything works fine! But Mig-21 FPS drop to 10-12, especially during dogfights.

I would be really grateful to you if you fix it, and make one of my favorite modules great again.

Извините за внимание

radar is slaughtering cockpit FPS for sure. If it is on and you are external view it is fine it is only when rendering the radar display that the issue occurs. Absolute stutter fest. VERY noticeable on Syria map. Hopefully fixed with next patch?

• 3 weeks later...

I've never had issues with FPS in the MIg 21 until the last update. Strangely enough my FPS chugs with very high AOA.

Weirdest thing. I was testing the stall behaviour and noticed the FPS would half as I stalled the plane.... WTH ?!

Maybe i was looking down ward and the radar screen was coming into view? I'll have to test again

With the 23rd September update I still get very low FPS with the Radar turned on - how come that this hasn't been fixed ?

This module is still unplayable !!

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

I'm sorry to disappoint you but we do not control DCS engine, we make modules based on it. We have released in August 26 patch, code changes for the radar based on consultations with ED lead programmer, but as internal and open evaluation indicated, they were unsuccessful to completely eradicate the problem. Our emails after August 26 patch remain unanswered by ED, so we can only seek another temporary solution which may require visual changes to the radar and downgrade of the quality of image displayed on the radar screen.

If anything changes, you guys will be first to know.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

• ED Team
I have now submitted an ticket to ED, though I have low expectations that this will help.

Support wont have an answer for you, they deal with technical support issues. I have asked the team and when I get an answer I will let you know.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Support wont have an answer for you, they deal with technical support issues. I have asked the team and when I get an answer I will let you know.

thanks

Thanks BIGNEWY.

I thought the ticket system was for bug reporting.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Because this problem only exists after a particular gpu update, it would seem to be less of a problem with the MiG-21 or DCS and more of a problem with what nVidia changed from that release forward. Identifying that change and understanding why it is bogging down MiG-21 radar performance would be the key to an effective solution.

In the mean time, I have decided to go with the latest nVidia driver most of the time, which means I have stopped flying the MiG-21 for now. I really wish the problem could be identified and solved quickly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is no ray-tracing in DCS.

Anyway, this framerates drop happens even if you look away from the radar so it is not in your field of view. Just turning it on is sufficient.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

There is no ray-tracing in DCS.

The Tomcat (at least in pulse mode), Viggen and now the MiG-21bis do in fact use raycasting (to some extent) to simulate their RADARs, it's not RTX ray-tracing, but it's a similar principle.

I too have issues with the MiG-21bis with the RADAR where a significant amount of clutter is visible, putting the RADAR into standby or off removes the issue, as does flying where clutter isn't visible.

I have issues with the Viggen's RADAR in some areas on the Syria map, setting it into A0 removes the issue.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.