Pitch very sensitive in 2.5.6.

CoBlue

only started flying it a few days ago, its clearly messed up, in cockpit AoA reports 10 deg but extern cam shows 3 deg.

engine is also underpowered from what i can tell, full mill is needed to hold glide slope or 95%ish.

AP and trim also broke, likely related to above issue with AoA.

its a shame, truely a fun mig, but i have been learning to fly a lame donkey and will need to relearn everything.

It's not messed up. The in-cockpit gauge is local AoA at the position of the sensor vane (left side of the nose about halfway to the cockpit). The airflow is already distorted by the aircraft at this point and will read higher than the true AoA (F2 view). This is realistic and happens on the real aircraft. Someone posted a diagram on the forums ages ago but I can't find it right now.

The engine is not underpowered, it has a TWR over 1 when the emergency burner is on. What you are seeing is the enormous drag associated with the aircraft's wing design, with flaps lowered. There is a blown flap system which requires >80% RPM to operate, below this level there is no bleed air being provided to the flaps and you will drop like a rock. Keep power over 80% and if you're too fast, tickle the airbrake, don't reduce power. This is a design quirk of the real MiG-21bis. This is why the Soviets added the blown flap system in the first place, to provide for safer landings at lower speeds than the earlier models.

AP is working fine now per my experience a few hours ago, but take note that this is a very old, analogue system and it will 'search' with the nose while it tries to find the right airspeed. It exhibited this behaviour even before the FM changes.

The MiG-21 is a fantastic aircraft and with a bit of experience, will cream most F-5 players online. I wouldn't trade it for anything, but you can't just come in and expect a 1972 upgrade of a 1959 aircraft to fly itself and require no study, my dude.

Edited by rossmum

The actual flight handling is pretty simple when you get a feel for it - I'd rate it as easier to handle in a lot of respects than the Tomcat. It's just knowing those weird little quirks. It's my most flown module and in the space of the past 2-3 weeks, I've learnt a few things about it that make it feel like a whole new plane.

its an awesome little jet, every time i think something is broken i learn it was the loose nut behind the stick.

it definitely needs to stay fast, i've found most issues with handling is resolved by stepping it up 750kph+ seems like the comfort zone.

Its been like learning to walk again, i still find myself thinking knots, "oh i've got 400 on the jet" yeah right bud, at 400kph she's falling outta the sky!

It can do slow too, it just needs practice. Watch the AoA indicator, 28 is a huge margin of safety. It will comfortably handle 30-32, at 33-34 you're on the edge but with a little finesse you can hold it there. Below 600km/h, drop the takeoff flaps and engage the emergency afterburner - you can pull some absolutely revolting turns, and as you bleed speed the circle closes tighter and tighter. If the wing stalls, let go of the stick and let it correct itself, or counter with some gentle rudder.

always learning something new with this mig, its got so many tricks up its sleeve.

not to get to far off topic, concerning the OP, i just learned about the ALU the other night.

switching the ALU from auto to man will solve all the pitch sensitivity issues the OP is having.

the indicator dial is below the nose cone dial, needle in the 3 oclock position is lower sensitivity and 9 oclock higher.

yes i know its a hydraulic pressure regulator basically, but i think its the solution the OP is asking for.

This mig is quickly becoming a favorite for me, all the FBW jets just seem boring now.

not to get to far off topic, concerning the OP, i just learned about the ALU the other night.

switching the ALU from auto to man will solve all the pitch sensitivity issues the OP is having.

the indicator dial is below the nose cone dial, needle in the 3 oclock position is lower sensitivity and 9 oclock higher.

yes i know its a hydraulic pressure regulator basically, but i think its the solution the OP is asking for.

If you are talking about ARU-3VM it should work automatically, depending on speed & altitude.

Setting ARU-3VM to manual should only be done if ARU-3VM automatic mode fails & it's a very dangerous situation.

This "workaround" will definitely not solve the fact that the pitch sensitivity is bugged.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.