Upgrade the animations of the foot soldiers?

Hoodaya

Still after all this time they still not have been upgraded. I mean last time since 2013 they seem to have the same animations. And the rpg soldier just stays in a crouched position even when moving. I mean wth, how hard is it to programme??

There are a few units which feature improved models (apart from maybe weapon) and animations.

• Infantry Soldier Rus
  • SAM SA-18 Igla-S MANPAD
  • SAM Stinger MANPAD
  • All 3 WWII asset pack infantry units

In general though infantry in DCS infantry has more faults than just animations...

• Very far away from anything remotely resembling comprehensive in terms of available units and weapons, let alone >90% of countries not having a single unit.
  • Stances not implemented (as far as I can tell)
  • Movement still a little janky (sometimes looks as if they're running in slow motion).
  • In the vast majority of cases there's only 1 variant - 1 camouflage scheme, 1 weapon and 1 face, the Stinger MANPAD is the only exception - it has 4 camouflage schemes, but out of those schemes only 1 face, which doesn't do much to minimise the attack of the clones vibe.
  • Impact splashes are far too large for the kind of weapons being used, and rounds hitting infantry have the same sparking effect you get with aircraft, and again it's excessively large.
  • The AI - can't really elaborate in a list.

However, infantry isn't anywhere near the top of ED's priority list, and personally when it comes to units on the ground, I would put updating ground vehicles (again, deserves it's own thread) above infantry.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

We know already that ED is developing new terrain engine, new weather engine and new map technologies.

We as well know that they are currently working with completely new damage modeling for WW2 aircrafts, that will eventually come to ground units as well, and then to modern fighters.

And we do know too that the work they have done for the Super Carrier deck crews, is technology and work that gets used for improving all other ground troops.

We as well know they are working with dynamic campaigns and much better AI.

So now count 1 + 1 + 1 etc, and you can come to conclusion that they are going to implement new infantry modeling at some point.

We do need lots of new infantry modelings, from the ground crews on airbases, on road bases, on SAM sites, on all kind vehicles crews etc. We need to get infantry to mount in Mi-24 and Mi-8, UH-1H etc. No, we do not need exactly accurate modeling where each individual soldier would move to helicopter and then grab the handles on it and climb in and seat down. We need "good enough" that would be getting next to door and then teleporting in. Of course the animation to climb in and jump out would be amazing thing, but that is good enough when they just appear next to doors and ready to go in/out.

Like think about you have a 10 vehicle colonna moving 20 km route with each unit having 800-1500 meter separation to next one so you can't ever just go and drop bombs and kill everyone, you would only ever get a change to bomb one vehicle at the best.

On the moment when you are spotted on the area, air warning is issued to all ground units on the area, meaning every motorized colonna on march is having visual and audible observation, communication link to air defense network and in first sign of air attack, the air alarm is issued and every vehicle will pull to air cover. You have just lost all your possibilities to detect them via radar or visually. Now you are the prey up in the sky, as instead having 10 vehicles in tight group in one area, you have now 10 vehicles and 10 squads split to 10 vehicles and 20 teams, scattered to large 10-15 km wide area, having dozen of MANPAADS and HMG's for self-defense.

You have no place to run, no place to hide as close air patrol was already alerted to area and if you become visible to ground units, there will be multiple missiles launched at you from multiple directions and ranges.

And that is all without you ever seeing any animations from infantry unmounting vehicles and preparing their self-defense locations etc.

How hard it is to program? Difficult.... But it is easy to design as all you need to do is to follow the basic infantry training guidelines from modern military since 70's.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Absolutely what Fri13 said

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

We know already that ED is developing new terrain engine, new weather engine and new map technologies.

We as well know that they are currently working with completely new damage modeling for WW2 aircrafts, that will eventually come to ground units as well, and then to modern fighters.

And we do know too that the work they have done for the Super Carrier deck crews, is technology and work that gets used for improving all other ground troops.

We as well know they are working with dynamic campaigns and much better AI.

So now count 1 + 1 + 1 etc, and you can come to conclusion that they are going to implement new infantry modeling at some point.

We do need lots of new infantry modelings, from the ground crews on airbases, on road bases, on SAM sites, on all kind vehicles crews etc. We need to get infantry to mount in Mi-24 and Mi-8, UH-1H etc. No, we do not need exactly accurate modeling where each individual soldier would move to helicopter and then grab the handles on it and climb in and seat down. We need "good enough" that would be getting next to door and then teleporting in. Of course the animation to climb in and jump out would be amazing thing, but that is good enough when they just appear next to doors and ready to go in/out.

Like think about you have a 10 vehicle colonna moving 20 km route with each unit having 800-1500 meter separation to next one so you can't ever just go and drop bombs and kill everyone, you would only ever get a change to bomb one vehicle at the best.

On the moment when you are spotted on the area, air warning is issued to all ground units on the area, meaning every motorized colonna on march is having visual and audible observation, communication link to air defense network and in first sign of air attack, the air alarm is issued and every vehicle will pull to air cover. You have just lost all your possibilities to detect them via radar or visually. Now you are the prey up in the sky, as instead having 10 vehicles in tight group in one area, you have now 10 vehicles and 10 squads split to 10 vehicles and 20 teams, scattered to large 10-15 km wide area, having dozen of MANPAADS and HMG's for self-defense.

You have no place to run, no place to hide as close air patrol was already alerted to area and if you become visible to ground units, there will be multiple missiles launched at you from multiple directions and ranges.

And that is all without you ever seeing any animations from infantry unmounting vehicles and preparing their self-defense locations etc.

How hard it is to program? Difficult.... But it is easy to design as all you need to do is to follow the basic infantry training guidelines from modern military since 70's.

ED does have their work cut out for them for sure. One thing I will add is that it would be awesome if you can play as a pilot walking up to your aircraft and boarding your aircraft but I'm guessing that will never be implemented or will be very low on the priority list.

To add to this, we also need to see troops IN helicopters. There's nothing that kills immersion worse than being in a huey, 'loading troops', looking back and seeing the chopper empty. I mean WTF - we supposed to imagine them?

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

To add to this, we also need to see troops IN helicopters. There's nothing that kills immersion worse than being in a huey, 'loading troops', looking back and seeing the chopper empty. I mean WTF - we supposed to imagine them?

Yeah, I think the best way is to just have them run up to the helicopter, door opens and they teleport inside.

System: