I lost my warthong AB detent - any recommendations?

Hey guys,

I have a TM Warthog hotas and stick that I've been using for the last year. I managed to misplace the AB detent that I wasn't a big fan of in the first place, and ever since I've been having to kinda feel exactly where the mil setting is without inadvertently slipping into low blowers. Obviously this isn't really ideal. I later read about someone who filed down their detent to make for a smoother transition from mil to burner (which is the reason I took it down in the first place)

Does anyone know of a workaround - maybe a do-it-yourself detent?

Thanks

Just on the off chance, you did check in the throttle that it's not in there right? It flips upside down and stores in front of the throttle where it would normally go (remove the centre bar between the throttles to check for it).

I just put a white sticker on the middle bar between the throttles and one on each of the throttle uprights so that I can visually see where I'm at. Not perfect, but it works for me.

You should check the "Input and Output" section of forum for ideas on DIY options or replacements. I think it's been discussed there.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you so much guys. I feel like an idiot. Indeed the detent was just upside down inside the throttles. Thanks for the help though.

CB, what a great find. I think I'm going to order it!

You'll like it. No lifting involved. Just push right through it.

Buzz

Actually used a piece of 150 grit sandpaper. The kind w/ a sticky back which I stuck to a flat piece of plywood. I also used some silicone grease once I got the angle done.

I'm very tempted to try this. I hate having to lift it over the detent - which is totally unrealistic. So I flipped mine over and just guess where the detent is in VR.

What part of the piece do you sand down and how much? Any chance you have a pic of the finished product?

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I didn't want to modify the stock detent is case I wanted to send in the throttle for warranty. Plus, if you sand off a bit too much it's ruined. It was worth it to me to spend the 11 bucks and it works perfect.

Buzz

I didn't want to modify the stock detent is case I wanted to send in the throttle for warranty. Plus, if you sand off a bit too much it's ruined. It was worth it to me to spend the 11 bucks and it works perfect.

That makes sense. $11 is more than worth it if it works well. Thanks.

Edit: Just ordered it. Buy the time I added manufacturing time, shipping, and tax - it cost $29. :doh:

Edited by Notso

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I'm very tempted to try this. I hate having to lift it over the detent - which is totally unrealistic. So I flipped mine over and just guess where the detent is in VR.

What part of the piece do you sand down and how much? Any chance you have a pic of the finished product?

49757071687_86af06120c_z.jpgAB throttle detent by craig stuard, on Flickr

I take it back I used a small file. I was thinking of something else when I said sand paper. Paper would still work especially a strip glued to something like a popsicle stick.

The green arrows indicate the area filed at about a 45 degree angle to the surface w/ the red piece sticking up. Once reinstalled I went to a free flight mission and messed around w/ the throttle curve. I watched the rear of the plane w/ F2 view and figured when the exhaust turns red/orange that was AB in. So I re-shaped the curve til the red appeared just after moving past the detent.

49756780921_51f57fca99_z.jpgThrottle curve by craig stuard, on Flickr

Edited by CBStu

49757071687_86af06120c_z.jpgAB throttle detent by craig stuard, on Flickr

I take it back I used a small file. I was thinking of something else when I said sand paper. Paper would still work especially a strip glued to something like a popsicle stick.

The green arrows indicate the area filed at about a 45 degree angle to the surface w/ the red piece sticking up. Once reinstalled I went to a free flight mission and messed around w/ the throttle curve. I watched the rear of the plane w/ F2 view and figured when the exhaust turns red/orange that was AB in. So I re-shaped the curve til the red appeared just after moving past the detent.

49756780921_51f57fca99_z.jpgThrottle curve by craig stuard, on Flickr

Awesome, thank you! I might try that and get my $30 back before it ships.

About the mod, I did mine a few days ago and am really happy with the result. I unlinked the throttles and filed left and then right side separately. I ran the game in active pause, regularly putting the detent back and testing until I got to 100% RPM on each engine. It took some time to get them start lifting smoothly and just at the right moment. I had to file off about 1/3 of each tooth! See attached a photo of how my detent looks now. This way I did not have to touch the curves, at least not for the Hornet.

P_20200418_214430_1.thumb.jpg.c6aca4d8e495907484fe3975d629d84c.jpg

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR