How about a post July 1944 version?

Schnelli

Whilst I laud any inclusion that can make any aircraft in DCS more flexible and help represent a wider operational period it is worth pointing out that just because the A-8 is cleared to use EN boost from "July" (that's a very vague date) does not mean that on the 1st July 1944 all Fw 190A-8s across all fronts suddenly and magically would or should have this available.

For one, the Jagdwaffe were busy having their backs ripped open in Normandy, their base movements chaotic and the dissemination of this information to unit level highly speculative, and even if received, it could be rightly questioned as to the priority this modification would be afforded when they were under almost daily attack on the ground, undoubtedly struggling for spares and manpower to keep the aircraft they had airworthy as is.

I suspect this modification would have been far more representative among the Fw 190A units as units withdrew and re-equipped in August and September.

7 hours ago, Bozon said:

I don’t see why we can’t have early/late Anton variants like the P-47D30 has.

Another thing that will make A-8 a better fighter is the ability to remove the outboard guns. They are great against bombers but an overkill against fighters for the performance hit you get (based on other sims, so pinch of salt).

I can't agree more, it saves a lot of weight to remove those guns

I suggest you to try to take only 50 % of ammuntions which saves about 150 kg if I remember correctly, the first time I tried that I was really impressed by the climb rate change (notably after take off while climbing to 5-6km), the aircraft feel way less heavy, I can only imagine the result with more weight removed and reduced drag

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Whilst I laud any inclusion that can make any aircraft in DCS more flexible and help represent a wider operational period it is worth pointing out that just because the A-8 is cleared to use EN boost from "July" (that's a very vague date) does not mean that on the 1st July 1944 all Fw 190A-8s across all fronts suddenly and magically would or should have this available.

For one, the Jagdwaffe were busy having their backs ripped open in Normandy, their base movements chaotic and the dissemination of this information to unit level highly speculative, and even if received, it could be rightly questioned as to the priority this modification would be afforded when they were under almost daily attack on the ground, undoubtedly struggling for spares and manpower to keep the aircraft they had airworthy as is.

I suspect this modification would have been far more representative among the Fw 190A units as units withdrew and re-equipped in August and September.

The modfication was actually done in 30 minutes by the Ground Crew was not lot of work. Posted that Document a while back in the MW50 or not discussion. Not like retrofiting complete MW50/C3 Installation. Only the Pressure Regulator was modified to run full boost that could provided by the supercharger,  mechanical Control unit of the fw190 was able to adjust fuel mixture accordingly. Think after the clearence of the EN Boost the crews quickly modified this in July. 

But anyway dont think this Future EN Boost or removing wing cannons will come in the near Future.

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

You'll have that option in the form of Fw190F-8, and G-8 which removes also cowl guns, when they come. Performance wise, I'm not sure that'll be what you think, but maybe. For the A-8 variant, like an "option" to remove outer wing cannons, yeaaahhh, nope… this isn't a Thunder of a War mates. Pilots IRL didn't have an "option" to add/remove weaponry from flight to flight in a daily basis. "If you remove things the aeroplane flies better", of course they do, look at the TF-51 compared to regular P-51, but you don't want a TF-51 without all the armour and weaponless in combat, right? The basic model is what it is, and Fw190A-8 was what it was for the purpose it was. I believe removing things for the sake of "playability" wasn't a real life option for the pilots.

S!

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Yep, but remember Fw190F-8 is the factory name, the field modification was Fw190A-8/U3 same as all F models, so still "A-8" but it was actually an F-8 and so many times those models are mixed because that German stubbornness with picky names for the same thing, when not new plates for a rebuilt aircraft. The well known Fw190F-8  in Smithsonian (was it Smithsonian?) started life as A-4, then rebuilt A-5, then rebuilt A-8, then rebuilt F-8 and nobody can say (specially the caption author in that pic) what the actual model it was without looking at the plates. So, just looking at the pic a non outer canons is a field, or factory, modified F-8 ground attack aircraft, not a proper A-8 fighter.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar
  • Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

10 hours ago, Bozon said:

I don’t see why we can’t have early/late Anton variants like the P-47D30 has.

Well, Nick Grey is not a big fan of the LW aircraft (ref), so I doubt it will ever be a high priority. At one point, there was talk about an F8/G8 variant, but that went quiet, and then the A8 moved from EA to released. We can't even get bugs fixed, so I think a new variant seems, sadly, overly-optimistic.

10 hours ago, Bozon said:

Another thing that will make A-8 a better fighter is the ability to remove the outboard guns. They are great against bombers but an overkill against fighters for the performance hit you get (based on other sims, so pinch of salt).

I agree with you. It would be a great thing to have and it would increase the range of the aircraft (which, in the absence of an F8/G8, is something I would appreciate). I'd even go as far as to request the option to remove _all_ the guns, but as far as I know, there is only historical evidence for the outer wing guns being removed.

• Like 5

Yeah, but the difference is LW aircraft are a way more hairy subject whenever you search for info. Not that easy, and even P-47 was a pain in the ass for wind tunnel data. People usually say it's just copy/paste, but I believe it's quite more complicated than that if you try to keep it out of speculation.

S!

• 2 weeks later...

Fw190 A8 Engine performance missing - Bugs and Problems - ED Forums (eagle.ru).

Цитата

Edit: adding two pages from the FW190A8 manual to this…

@141-Emperor, sorry, but are you sure that these are pages from the "FW190A8 manual"? It's just very similar to pages 13–15 of the D. (Luft) T.2190 A-5/A-6 Teil 7.

Скрытый текст

Original in Russian

@141-Emperor, извините, но Вы уверены в том, что это страницы из «руководства FW190A8»? Просто это очень похоже на страницы 13–15 из D. (Luft) T.2190 A-5/A-6 Teil 7.

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

These pages in the other thread say that the C3 injection is only intended for fighter bombers and altitudes below 1000 m, thus the section is not really relevant for the A series fighter version until ED eventually decides the time for the F8/G8 has come.

• Like 1

Excellent presentation on Luftwaffe Fuel and Engine Development in WW2 especially regarding the limits on late FW-190 Manifold Pressure despite high fuel octane ratings.

Overall the more that I can learn about the luftwaffe is that they were not in the same league as the Allies, somewhat similar the IJAAF and the IJN - excellent training at the start of the war then overwhelmed by the scale and industrial demands of the war. Luftwaffe was further hindered by wasted effort on too many wonder weapon projects/blind alleys

• Like 3

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team
On 8/3/2021 at 11:46 AM, xvii-Dietrich said:

Well, Nick Grey is not a big fan of the LW aircraft (ref), so I doubt it will ever be a high priority.

Sorry to dig up a slightly older post but based on him raving about Allied aircraft in the GR video?

• Like 2

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Am 13.8.2021 um 21:20 schrieb S.E.Bulba:

Fw190 A8 Engine performance missing - Bugs and Problems - ED Forums (eagle.ru).

@141-Emperor, sorry, but are you sure that these are pages from the "FW190A8 manual"? It's just very similar to pages 13–15 of the D. (Luft) T.2190 A-5/A-6 Teil 7.

Inhalt verstecken

Original in Russian

@141-Emperor, извините, но Вы уверены в том, что это страницы из «руководства FW190A8»? Просто это очень похоже на страницы 13–15 из D. (Luft) T.2190 A-5/A-6 Teil 7.

Sorry for the late response. 
Afaik these are from an early A8 manual. They are missing the handle for the Notleistung that later A8s had.
I might be able to post some later A8 manuals soon, someone I know is going to get some originals from an archive.

43 минуты назад, 141-Emperor сказал:

Afaik these are from an early A8 manual.

I believe that you are wrong. Apparently you have provided pages 13–15 of the following Manual.

27.08.2021 в 06:29, Krez сказал:

Скрытый текст

Original in Russian

Я полагаю, что Вы ошибаетесь. Судя по всему Вы привели страницы 13–15 из следующего Руководства по эксплуатации.

• Thanks 1

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

• 2 years later...

S!

A bit of a wish here too. Outer wing guns were removed by many pilots in a lot of squadrons. An exception would be JG300 for example that was tasked for bomber intercept. But JG11, 26, 54 etc. had planes with removed outer guns even in their earlier A models. Removing the guns and ammo would save about 178kg of weight, increase performance and make rolling snappier among other things. Even many 190A-9 had their outer guns removed by ground crew. I doubt it would take ED long to implenment this?

Engine. At july 1944 FW190A-8 was to get the improved 801TU engine replacing the 801D2. New engine was fully compatible requiring just replacement. As an intermediate measure parts from the TU engine could be installed on the D2 engine upgrading it. At the same time came the clearance for higher boost levels. Add this to the above mentioned outer gun removal and the 190A-8 is all of the sudden a more capable plane. Not the slug every single game up to date models it. Priller flew 190 exclusively and got most of his kills in the 190A against Spitfires of various marks, never shot down by one 😉

Another neato feature for the 190A would be the bubble canopy, same that was used on the 190D-9. It is exactly the same canopy assembly. It came later in autumn of 1944, but was more or less standard after that in new planes. 

Saying it is not in the timeline of WW2 module. Well, we have planes and models that were not in use at time of Overlord, so kind of a moot excuse. And lacking even more of planes as well. 

• Like 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D  Motherboard: ASUS TUF B550-Plus Memory: Kingston FuryX 64Gb GPU: AMD Radeon 6950XT 16Gb HDD: Samsung EVO SSD x 2 Monitor: Samsung 27" Flight gear: Virpil stick, MFG pedals OS: Windows 11 Pro