What do I forget when setting the Radar?

Limaro

Hi,

I am struggeling with something at the radar.

When starting my mission in the air, it shows me things that it doesn't when starting from ramp (where I have to start up all on my own). I guess I miss something but I cannot find out what.

Situation:

Enemies flying on higher altitude than me.

When starting form ramp, my radar looks like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=230616&stc=1&d=1585128305

I dont see anything. However, the distance to the enemy is not that big. My instruments:

attachment.php?attachmentid=230617&stc=1&d=1585128313

But when I start the mission already in the air, it shows me this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=230618&stc=1&d=1585128313

Here the distance is much bigger and radar shows me the Mig 29. and I also see the 29 on my hud.

Can someone help me figuring out, what settings may be different.

Limaro

Unsichtbar.thumb.jpg.27885b96b4bc48758991b8ea11a57acc.jpg

Screen_200325_102022.thumb.jpg.fe1bbd5df00713f464c831c5c03d48a5.jpg

Sichtbar.thumb.jpg.858ae0e43cf3fab1bfa8a3f2017ad2df.jpg

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

As Tom said, there is no radar contact in either case. The yellow 29 indication you are seeing there is comming from your RWR, not from your radar.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

RWR is not enabled by default when you start from the ramp. You have to turn it on using it's control panel under the MPCD.

edit: Also the RWR HUD symbology is turned off by default. You can enable it from the RWR page.

Edited by Tomas9970

RWR is not enabled by default when you start from the ramp. You have to turn it on using it's control panel under the MPCD.

edit: Also the RWR HUD symbology is turned off by default. You can enable it from the RWR page.

His RWR is actually active in both cases. It's just that the MiG hasn't scanned him in the first case.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Check your radar-elevation in the second case.

You won't scan any target when the elevation is set to >99k ft.

And yes, the HUD information comes from the RWR which detects radar beams from an Mig-29 which is somewhere ahead.

Ryzen 9 5950X - watercooled | RTX 3090 FE - watercooled | ASUS ROG PG278QR | 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3800MHz CL16

Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WIFI | Creative Sound Blaster Z| be quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro & Dark Power 12 1000W

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

f369a91f-373c-4a67-b752-106889db8767.png

Check your radar-elevation in the second case.

You won't scan any target when the elevation is set to >99k ft.

Well spotted! The radar elevation is indeed maxed out in the second case, meaning that only targets can be detected that are flying pretty much directly above you.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Ensure the following:

IFF under UFC is ON

DL under UFC is ON

Switch centre MPCD to SA

RWR below centre MPCD is ON and set to HUD

Keep an eye on # of bars

Keep an eye on TDC limits

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

The difference why you see the Mig-29 in the second scenario and not in the first scenario is perhaps easily explained.

First scenario:

You say you started cold.

Probably your RWR is either completely disabled (it's not because we can see it active in the picture) or maybe it is enabled but it is not set to show incoming signals on the HUD.

Check the "EW"-page when you start your plane this way and see if the "HUD"-option is ticked or not.

Second scenario:

You started airborne.

The RWR is active and HUD-setting is also enabled.

Thats why the Mig obviously shows up on the HUD.

---

If its the same with both scenarios then I'm sorry. :D

But that's what I guess.

I think there is a difference in systems that are active when starting cold, from ramp or airborne.

So that could explain why you can see the Mig in scenario 1 but not in scenario 2.

Meaning you have not set everything up as it is already set up when starting airborne.

And like DAZnBLAST said: Make sure to enable IFF and DataLink to get information from your AWACS about other aircrafts.

PS:

And always double check that all your systems are really enabled when starting airborne.

Edited by deady1000

Ryzen 9 5950X - watercooled | RTX 3090 FE - watercooled | ASUS ROG PG278QR | 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3800MHz CL16

Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WIFI | Creative Sound Blaster Z| be quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro & Dark Power 12 1000W

As the screenshots show his RWR is on for both missions. It is not a problem of radar contact. There is none for both. It is just the fact that the MiG29 radar scans him on the 2nd mission and not on the first. Just look at the little RWR which is on.

If the missing contact was the problem a comparison between two radars that don't show any contact makes no sense.

If the contact is the problem the radar antenna elevation set to max up certainly doesn't help.

Edited by Tom Kazansky

True. The analog RWR display says there is just no contact.

Hi all together, thanks for all the answers!!

@deady1000

You were right with the EW-Page and activating HUD. This brought me the line and the Machine into the hud :thumbup:

You are right with the radar elevation, made no sense.

By the way, this works good. When I scan in right altitude, I get the target. - As little bar, which I can designate with cursor.

Only question left is, how to get the yellow triangle with "29" in the attack radar and the very top?

I've uploaded a video of both cases.

First shows the starting in the air, second from runway (as from ramp)

( Video comment:

- I just uploaded it (20:40) it might not be available in all resolutions yet.

- In this sample I could not switch D/L on. done know why, but later it worked and also had no effect)

To get that the enemy plane will need to scan you - they both come from the RWR system and that detects the enemy plan scanning you (you cannot control this) - if this doesn't show in the analogue RWR either then he hasn't scanned you

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

To get that the enemy plane will need to scan you - they both come from the RWR system and that detects the enemy plan scanning you (you cannot control this) - if this doesn't show in the analogue RWR either then he hasn't scanned you

I actuall see him in by RWR. (see at 3:34) and also in the left DDI.

It now just seems to be a matter of a small option, to also show it in the attac radar as well.

I actuall see him in by RWR. (see at 3:34) and also in the left DDI.

It now just seems to be a matter of a small option, to also show it in the attac radar as well.

You can turn off the (yellow) MiG29 signal/symbol in the radar MFD by pressing DATA and then disable MSI (Multi-Sensor Integration). Maybe your MSI is disabled?

Edited by Tom Kazansky

You can turn off the (yellow) MiG29 signal/symbol in the radar MFD by pressing DATA and then disable MSI (Multi-Sensor Integration). Maybe your MSI is disabled?

Did not know this. But actually, it's already enabled. but it has no effect.

I also tried it with starting in the air. And there it actuall has exactly this effect. Disabling, removes the yellow symbol.

But from ramp/Runway, it never appears.

Did not know this. But actually, it's already enabled. but it has no effect.

I also tried it with starting in the air. And there it actuall has exactly this effect. Disabling, removes the yellow symbol.

But from ramp/Runway, it never appears.

Just tested a quick autostart procedure from ramp. I can confirm: there is an enemy radar in front of me shown on the analog RWR but no (yellow) symbol on the radar page of MFD. DL was on.

Finally found it though.

Go to the SA page and then SENSORS (SENSR) and there turn RWR on (to ALL). And you're good to go.

Edited by Tom Kazansky

Go to the SA page and then SENSORS (SENSR) and there turn RWR on (to ALL). And you're good to go.

That was the solution!! Thanks a lot for the effort!

that was my problem too, thank you for finding it out

and let's stay safe from ****ing corona :)

greetings

latware

(Intel Core i7-4790K;NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970;2xdisplay 1920x1080;Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar+pedals;TrackIR3 6DOF)