Need help with VR performance

I know another long post about VR performance, but please bear with me -

(PC specs below)

I'll try to stick to the point: in single-player DCS I get good FPS in VR, that means always 40+ FPS so I can play with 40 FPS with ASW enabled on my Rift S which is fine for me. Only problem is that I get enormous frametime spikes in the F-14B especially in any sort of mission with a couple of aircraft engaging each other. Frametimes are higher than 25 ms too. This is not the case when I fly the F/A-18C for example, even in somewhat more complex missions, with say 10 aircraft flying around close to each other.

I've done some testing in exactly the same mission, doing exactly the same and here is what I found, with the help of MSI Afterburner HW monitoring:

- Decreasing supersampling in Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) did not significantly improve the performance

- Decreasing texture quality to ''low'' and shadows to ''flat only'' neither improved performance significantly. Same applies to other in-game graphic settings.

- RAM usage never exceeded 11-12 GB, regardless of pre-load radius settings in this mission- GPU memory never exceeded 6.5 GB (max. 8GB) and GPU usage hovers around 50%

- None of the 8 CPU cores exceeded 65% usage and all ran constantly at 4600 MHz- GPU and CPU temps did not 55 degrees C

- The framerate pretty much is 40 FPS constantly, but the frametime constantly spikes up to ~50 ms and hovers around 25.6 ms - note that this should somewhat mean that the framerate is slightly lower than 40 FPS in game, meaning the Rift S is not able to properly render in-between frames with ASW.

Now here's my question - which part or parts should I upgrade in my PC to get rid of these performance problems? Rather upgrade to 32 GB RAM or save money and get a better GPU? Or try to overclock my current GPU a little more?

Specs:

CPU: i7-9700k (stock speeds, unlucky in silicone lottery)

GPU: RTX 2070 Super 8 GB (slight factory OC)

MoBo: Z390 ATX

RAM: 2x 8GB DDR4 3600 MHz (in dual channel obviously)

DCS is installed on an SSD

Oculus Rift S

I play with the shaders mod to improve performance already

For these tests I set all in-game settings to their lowest values. Normally I play at all low settings, no MSAA, at 1.5 SS in Oculus Tray Tool, with flat shadows and medium textures.

Many thanks in advance to those who could give me some advice :)

Are you playing OpenBeta 2.5.6 or Stable 2.5.5?

I'm asking, because there are huge differences in performance between the two versions for most of us.

If you are on OB, just wait for another update or two, because there are many players who suffer from severe performance issues since the rollout of 2.5.6.

Maybe try a rollback to 2.5.5 and see if this helps.

Edited by JumpinK
typo

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

I'm on stable 2.5.5 right now. I've done some investigating, the issue seems to be related to ASW, specifically when flying the Tomcat. When I disable ASW in exactly the same mission I get 60 to 80 FPS, but enabling ASW and locking the FPS to 40 feels like just seeing 40 FPS without the ASW, basically, not smooth at all. In the Hornet and Viper, two other somewhat demanding aircraft, the same mission is way smoother and the issue doesn't seem to be there.

When monitoring, I found that none of the CPU cores or the GPU usage exceeded 60% when in 40 FPS with ASW on. RAM usage constantly around 12 GB, so I don't think any of my hardware is bottlenecking

I know another long post about VR performance, but please bear with me -

(PC specs below)

I'll try to stick to the point: in single-player DCS I get good FPS in VR, that means always 40+ FPS so I can play with 40 FPS with ASW enabled on my Rift S which is fine for me. Only problem is that I get enormous frametime spikes in the F-14B especially in any sort of mission with a couple of aircraft engaging each other. Frametimes are higher than 25 ms too. This is not the case when I fly the F/A-18C for example, even in somewhat more complex missions, with say 10 aircraft flying around close to each other.

I've done some testing in exactly the same mission, doing exactly the same and here is what I found, with the help of MSI Afterburner HW monitoring:

- Decreasing supersampling in Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) did not significantly improve the performance

- Decreasing texture quality to ''low'' and shadows to ''flat only'' neither improved performance significantly. Same applies to other in-game graphic settings.

- RAM usage never exceeded 11-12 GB, regardless of pre-load radius settings in this mission- GPU memory never exceeded 6.5 GB (max. 8GB) and GPU usage hovers around 50%

- None of the 8 CPU cores exceeded 65% usage and all ran constantly at 4600 MHz- GPU and CPU temps did not 55 degrees C

- The framerate pretty much is 40 FPS constantly, but the frametime constantly spikes up to ~50 ms and hovers around 25.6 ms - note that this should somewhat mean that the framerate is slightly lower than 40 FPS in game, meaning the Rift S is not able to properly render in-between frames with ASW.

Now here's my question - which part or parts should I upgrade in my PC to get rid of these performance problems? Rather upgrade to 32 GB RAM or save money and get a better GPU? Or try to overclock my current GPU a little more?

Specs:

CPU: i7-9700k (stock speeds, unlucky in silicone lottery)

GPU: RTX 2070 Super 8 GB (slight factory OC)

MoBo: Z390 ATX

RAM: 2x 8GB DDR4 3600 MHz (in dual channel obviously)

DCS is installed on an SSD

Oculus Rift S

I play with the shaders mod to improve performance already

For these tests I set all in-game settings to their lowest values. Normally I play at all low settings, no MSAA, at 1.5 SS in Oculus Tray Tool, with flat shadows and medium textures.

Many thanks in advance to those who could give me some advice :)

Tough situation, shady. Honestly, you’re at the high end of the VR spectrum right now with FPS. The only thing that may help a little is RAM. I went to 32GB and saw a 5-10 FPS jump. Single player 60-80 FPS and MP 40 FPS (ASW required). Looks like your system is good and your settings are in a good range. “I’ve heard” the F-14 is having FPS issues. Cockpit FPS drops. Like Jumpin said, I would give it a few updates and how the F-14 comes along.

One thing to try quality wise. I have MSAA at 4x, AF at 16x, and PD set to 1.4. Water low, shadows off, static shadows off, heat blur off, terrain low. The MSAA and AF got rid of the gigglies and lowering other settings kept the FPS up. Still looks good, IMO.

F/A-18C Hornet, i9 9900K OC 5.0G, 1TB Intel 660 M.2 SSD, Z390 Aorus Pro, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB, GeForce RTX 2080TI, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM T-Rudder, Oculus Rift S, Open Wheeler GEN2 Sim Chair w/ Warthog Upgrade.

It's the other way around, devs needs help from us posting good reports and details ;)

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria