HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

dburne

1 hour ago, imacken said:

Before I ordered the VRCover pads, I was wondering about that as well as I also have prescription lenses fitted.  However, I have found that isn't an issue.  It doesn't allow you to go right on top of the lenses.  As I said above, there is a bit of an improvement in the FOV using this mod, but is it worth the big loss of comfort compared to the original pad? Not sure.

In my case the verdict is likely still out on the comfort thing, I definitely agree it is not as comfortable as the stock face-pad of the G2. Spent about 4 hours with it yesterday and I found myself continuingly trying to adjust it a little for better comfort.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I tried that replacement face plate linked earlier in the thread but didn't rate it. It didn't appear to be any closer at the bottom, and I think the claim that it put your eyes 15mm closer to the lenses was very exaggerated.

I downloaded the CAD model from HP and made a new one based on that. The profile of the face plate is identical but is 10mm closer all round, which should be evident in the pictures. Using it with my old Vive foam (which I've noticed smells a bit sweaty) but I'm really pleased with the result, FOV seems very much improved although I don't have any numbers to back that up.

I wear either glasses or contacts. Glasses are absolutely fine with the original face plate, and while they fit with mine there's noticeable pressure which I reckon would get uncomfortable pretty quickly. For longer sessions I'll definitely use contacts, but it's very handy to be able to easily swap face plates if I'm wearing my glasses.

2021-01-03 13.18.24.jpg

2021-01-03 13.19.02.jpg

2021-01-03 13.20.34.jpg

Edited by Brun

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Has anyone run into the issue of not being able to use the mouse with the headset on? 

Apparently 'Windows + Y' resolves this however it didn't work for me. 

I would like a more permanent solution. 

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Windows + Y , is a dcs command to get your wingman to join up, you have to re-map it to get windows+y to work.

an alternative is to start the game from within VR, as this is a symptom of starting the game after wmr from the desktop.

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

In the Mixed Reality Portal there's this setting at the bottom of the 'headset display' options...

image.png

I start DCS from a shortcut and WMR never takes over the mouse anymore.

• Like 1

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

I was just about to order the odyssey cushion for improved FOV until I happened here. Since I ordered the prescription lenses for vr optician I think I'll wait. I was also reading about how to improve frame rate. It seems Radeon has a feature similar to DLSS

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/sapphire-trixx-boost-scaling-for-other-amd-cards.267475/

Although Sapphire has made this easy to use through a separate piece of software called Trixx boost

It is available on all AMD cards.

It works because rendering the actual res on the GPU is computationally much more expensive than upscaling it. So you can set you cpu to render at 80% of desired res and upscale to 120% .Apparently the difference is hardly noticeable unless you are staring at static content (which DCS is not)

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

39 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

Windows + Y , is a dcs command to get your wingman to join up, you have to re-map it to get windows+y to work.

an alternative is to start the game from within VR, as this is a symptom of starting the game after wmr from the desktop.

Ah perfect, thanks

10 minutes ago, Brun said:

In the Mixed Reality Portal there's this setting at the bottom of the 'headset display' options...

image.png

I start DCS from a shortcut and WMR never takes over the mouse anymore.

Thanks 👍

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

11 minutes ago, skypickle said:

I was just about to order the odyssey cushion for improved FOV until I happened here. Since I ordered the prescription lenses for vr optician I think I'll wait. I was also reading about how to improve frame rate. It seems Radeon has a feature similar to DLSS

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/sapphire-trixx-boost-scaling-for-other-amd-cards.267475/

Also similar to DLSS, it doesn't have any relevance to DCS or VR. Unless I'm missing something?

Hi Chaps,

I have messed up my global resolution and can't reset it regardless of uninstalling SteamVR and related config files.

The 100% res should be 3164 x 3092 however as you can see mine is stuck at 3152 x 3084, not a big deal but it is annoying me.

steam vr.PNG      

15 hours ago, Brun said:

Also similar to DLSS, it doesn't have any relevance to DCS or VR. Unless I'm missing something?

Nvidia will be bringing DLSS to VR with DLSS 2.1.

https://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/145294-nvidia-dlss-21-delivers-vr-8k-dynamic-resolution-support/

of course this will require DCS to add DLSS support.

Edited by Krupi

Project IX Cockpit

The resolution is so arbitrary I wouldn't worry about whatever 100% is. Just set it to whatever value gives the best compromise between framerate and image quality.

Re. DLSS, I knew when posting that Nvidia had announced VR support. Like you say tho, it being dependent on ED means I doubt we'll see it any time soon.

7 minutes ago, Brun said:

The resolution is so arbitrary I wouldn't worry about whatever 100% is. Just set it to whatever value gives the best compromise between framerate and image quality.

Yes and no. The 100% value is confirmed by HP to be the recommended res for running the G2 without any distortion, and give or take a few pixels its constant.  

26 minutes ago, Krupi said:

Hi Chaps,

I have messed up my global resolution and can't reset it regardless of uninstalling SteamVR and related config files.

The 100% res should be 3164 x 3092 however as you can see mine is stuck at 3152 x 3084, not a big deal but it is annoying me.

There isn't any 'should be 3164x3092'. Varies a little between systems/devices. My 100% is 3172x3096.  You're within a few pixels, so all is good.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

On 1/3/2021 at 11:35 AM, dburne said:

In my case the verdict is likely still out on the comfort thing, I definitely agree it is not as comfortable as the stock face-pad of the G2. Spent about 4 hours with it yesterday and I found myself continuingly trying to adjust it a little for better comfort.

Hi, I ordered the ""frankenfov" cushions and they came the other day, I was very keen to see if they improved anything....big disappointment - when installed, they placed the lenses way too near my eyes, so my eyelashes touched them and introduced a lot of distortion........ the standard cushion is way better in terms of fit and optics. 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

1 minute ago, markturner1960 said:

Hi, I ordered the ""frankenfov" cushions and they came the other day, I was very keen to see if they improved anything....big disappointment - when installed, they placed the lenses way too near my eyes, so my eyelashes touched them and introduced a lot of distortion........ the standard cushion is way better in terms of fit and optics. 

Hmm, didn't notice any distortion, but certainly not comfortable enough, even though it does increase the FOV a bit.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

5 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

Yep I have already gone by to the stock faceplate.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

18 hours ago, Brun said:

Dlss requires the game to support. Resolution scaling as done by AMD is independent of game and implemented entirely at the driver level

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

4 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

i didn't realise the stock face plate was on sale ?

Sorry I meant to say I have gone back to the stock faceplate.

Don B

• 4 weeks later...

Even though it's only been setup for less than 24 hours, I regret to inform that I am not that impressed with the G2. I can understand those that come from Oculus-->G2 seeing a really nice overall improvement, but I'm coming from a G1 and the improvement is very marginal. The only improvement on the G2 I really like is the new cable. That's really the achilles heel of the G1. That thick ass cable contributes to a lot of the issues with it. I was expecting a bit of a WOW factor regarding the clarity of the G2. Although I do see an improvement, IMHO, it's negated by the smaller sweet spot. In my G1, the SS was set to 150% with nice performance. In the G2 it's set to 80%. When using the same DCS settings, I get a noticeable performance hit in the G2 with frame-times often in the mid 20s(Red). I was really holding out to even consider getting a G2, but when I found out that I'm still at least 2 months away in the EVGA queue from getting a 3090, I decided to jump on the opp to get the G2 since it's available. So unless you all can let me know if there are some more settings I need to change, I will more likely be sending back the G2. The improvements over the G1 are just not worth another $650. I believe my G1 paired with a 3090 will be a match made in heaven. I'm still testing so any suggestions to help with performance will be appreciated. I at least want to match my G1's 150% SS quality and performance.

Steam VR Settings:
"motionReprojectionMode": "auto"

SS: G1-->150%, G2-->80%

App multiplier: 100%

DCS Settings:
VR Pixel Density: 1.0
Shadows: Low (I modified the shadows.lua. I have Medium outside shadows & Ultra cockpit shadows.)

pihge4bysvz41of6g.jpg

Edited by pimp

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

The G2 was never sold as a big step up from the G1 in image quality terms. The improvements were all elsewhere. 
- audio quality

- massive improvement in comfort

- cable

- tracking

- controllers

- hardware IPD

- better colour/contrast

I'm sure there are other aspects that escape me, but I am very happy with the upgrade from my G1. 

Edited by imacken

7 minutes ago, imacken said:

The G2 was never sold as a big step up from the G1 in image quality terms. The improvements were all elsewhere. 
- audio quality

- massive improvement in comfort

- cable

- tracking

- controllers

- hardware IPD

- better colour/contrast

I'm sure there are other aspects that escape me, but I am very happy with the upgrade from my G1. 

Yeah I didn't expect a big step up. You had already mentioned that to me a while back. However, I did expect the improvements to justify another $650. I did see an improvement with the colors. They do seem a bit deeper, but that along with the audio was just "eh" to me. The on-ear earphones sound better IMO. Although I am impressed at how well they sounded to be off-ear. IDK WTH they were thinking with the Rift2. That was atrocious. I don't use controllers at all so no comment there. My IPD is 67.5 and it's a hassle to get it close to it. But to each his own I guess. I'm still open for suggestions tho.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

2 minutes ago, pimp said:

Yeah I didn't expect a big step up. You had already mentioned that to me a while back. However, I did expect the improvements to justify another $650. I did see an improvement with the colors. They do seem a bit deeper, but that along with the audio was just "eh" to me. The on-ear earphones sound better IMO. Although I am impressed at how well they sounded to be off-ear. IDK WTH they were thinking with the Rift2. That was atrocious. I don't use controllers at all so no comment there. My IPD is 67.5 and it's a hassle to get it close to it. But to each his own I guess. I'm still open for suggestions tho.

Give it more time to appreciate the differences, particularly the comfort. It’s not really another $650. You can probably sell your G1 for $400, so only a couple of hundred extra outlay. 

1 minute ago, imacken said:

Give it more time to appreciate the differences, particularly the comfort. It’s not really another $650. You can probably sell your G1 for $400, so only a couple of hundred extra outlay. 

Thanks. Yeah I'll definitely give it more time, but I'm not selling my G1. 🙂