HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

dburne

1 hour ago, javelina1 said:

I've always unplugged the power connection when I'm not using the G2, (just to keep the annoying WMR from firing up every time I boot up, and don't want to use the headset).

agreed, you would not want to have power when connecting the 6-meter cable to the headset.  but it also sounds like you want to have power off even when you disconnect & reconnect the USB to the PC.  after you reconnect the PC USB portion, then reconnect the power.

have you tried swapping the socket you connect your monitor over with the one you plug your HMD into ... 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

1 minute ago, speed-of-heat said:

have you tried swapping the socket you connect your monitor over with the one you plug your HMD into ... 

I'll try that later today.  interesting, (thanks for the suggestion).  gotta do a quick honey-do first.  🙂

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

On 12/3/2020 at 6:48 PM, eaglecash867 said:

Regarding the sweet spot on the G2, I'm with those who have said they don't see an improvement.  If the sweet spot is larger, its not noticeably so for me.  I'm wondering if the reviewers who said the sweet spot is significantly larger got G2s with different lenses in them than what most of us seem to have gotten.  Overall though, I'm happy with my G2 because of the better tracking over the G1 (although it still doesn't match HMDs with external sensors/cameras).  It is also better than my G1 due to the longer, lighter, more reliable cable, FAR better hand controllers, and the fact that so far I haven't had the intemittent, random dimming of one or both eyes that was a problem with the G1s.  The eye relief issues that a few of us had with the G1 also seem to have been eliminated for me.

Personally finally I will sell my G2, I cannot live with only a small sweetspot zone. Will continue with valve index, appart to have less resolution, I has A LOT of clarity from edge to edge, and FOV is quite larger. In G2 I feel like I wear scrubber mask. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gryzor said:

Personally finally I will sell my G2, I cannot live with only a small sweetspot zone. Will continue with valve index, appart to have less resolution, I has A LOT of clarity from edge to edge, and FOV is quite larger. In G2 I feel like I wear scrubber mask. 

That is an interesting point I love my G1 but so many various opinions on the sweet spot of the G2 does make you wonder if there has been a little change on the later models.

The sweet spot on my G1 is much greater than the odyssey plus I owned for sure.  

7 minutes ago, freehand said:

That is an interesting point I love my G1 but so many various opinions on the sweet spot of the G2 does make you wonder if there has been a little change on the later models.

The sweet spot on the G2 is no better or worse than the G1.  If you are OK with the G1, you'll be OK with the G2.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

27 minutes ago, freehand said:

I had Odyssey 1,5 years ago (not the plus) and the sweetspot were not as big as Index, but greater than with the G2. In fact, I´m very disappointed with G2 I don´t understand the fact that Valve helps in lens design..., so how resulted in so much less in clarity appart of 20% central area??? - and yes, I put OK my HMD on my head -. Compare Index with G2 is night and day in FOV and clarity edge-to-edge.

In addition, G2 is a lot less brighter that Index, about 60 o 70% of Index levels (130% brighness setting). The only plus of G2 above index is the incredible clarity and resolution, but only in the sweet-spot small area, the 70% is blurry (with Index, I can look down to cockpit instrumen, reading radar contacts, without movin my nect. With G2 I have to move my head looking down the cockpit. Very unnatural feeling to me).

Edited by Gryzor

34 minutes ago, Gryzor said:

I had Odyssey 1,5 years ago (not the plus) and the sweetspot were not as big as Index, but greater than with the G2. In fact, I´m very disappointed with G2 I don´t understand the fact that Valve helps in lens design..., so how resulted in so much less in clarity appart of 20% central area??? - and yes, I put OK my HMD on my head -. Compare Index with G2 is night and day in FOV and clarity edge-to-edge.

In addition, G2 is a lot less brighter that Index, about 60 o 70% of Index levels (130% brighness setting). The only plus of G2 above index is the incredible clarity and resolution, but only in the sweet-spot small area, the 70% is blurry (with Index, I can look down to cockpit instrumen, reading radar contacts, without movin my nect. With G2 I have to move my head looking down the cockpit. Very unnatural feeling to me).

Yup, the inability to "glance down or across" and clearly see MFD's was the first thing I noticed when I got my (now broken) G2, however as a first time VR user I thought this was "normal". There seems to be differing opinions on whether this is "just a VR thing" or a limitation of the G2 versus some of the other HMD's. My friend has a CV1 and also recently got the G2 and aside from the tiny sweet spot on the G2 being amazing, he actually prefers the lack of scuba mask and  perceived greater edge clarity of the CV1. If/when my RMA turns up I may well look to purchase something else, and possibly the Index.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

34 minutes ago, zildac said:

Yup, the inability to "glance down or across" and clearly see MFD's was the first thing I noticed when I got my (now broken) G2, however as a first time VR user I thought this was "normal". There seems to be differing opinions on whether this is "just a VR thing" or a limitation of the G2 versus some of the other HMD's. My friend has a CV1 and also recently got the G2 and aside from the tiny sweet spot on the G2 being amazing, he actually prefers the lack of scuba mask and  perceived greater edge clarity of the CV1. If/when my RMA turns up I may well look to purchase something else, and possibly the Index.

Seriously, if your friend prefers the CV1 to the G2, he needs to see a good optician.  He thinks the FOV is much better on the CV1?  Hmmm, I don't think so.

I have progressed through the CV1, Vive Pro, Reverb G1, Index, back to Reverb G1 and now the G2, and I can safely say that each step was a step up.

I had an Index at the same time as the G1 and I couldn't see this magic sweet spot you guys are talking about on the Index.  Sure, the FOV was larger when you crank the lenses right up to your eyes, but, it wasn't that much different.  Also, to suggest that everything is totally in focus on the Index edge to edge is not in agreement with my experience.  It may be slightly better than the G1 or G2, but not a great deal.

IMO, the G2 has all the advantages that the Index has over the G1, i.e. comfort, audio, hardware IPD, etc., and couple that with the superb resolution of the G1 and you have a winner.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Well I can't speak for him personally and I haven't experienced it myself, but I guess we are all entitled to an opinion. Mine, based on my limited time here is that yours seems to get thrown around an awful lot, and may I say with some of the most unsubtle and opinionated responses I've seen on any message board...but that's just "my" opinion.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

28 minutes ago, imacken said:

Seriously, if your friend prefers the CV1 to the G2, he needs to see a good optician.  He thinks the FOV is much better on the CV1?  Hmmm, I don't think so.

I have progressed through the CV1, Vive Pro, Reverb G1, Index, back to Reverb G1 and now the G2, and I can safely say that each step was a step up.

I had an Index at the same time as the G1 and I couldn't see this magic sweet spot you guys are talking about on the Index.  Sure, the FOV was larger when you crank the lenses right up to your eyes, but, it wasn't that much different.  Also, to suggest that everything is totally in focus on the Index edge to edge is not in agreement with my experience.  It may be slightly better than the G1 or G2, but not a great deal.

IMO, the G2 has all the advantages that the Index has over the G1, i.e. comfort, audio, hardware IPD, etc., and couple that with the superb resolution of the G1 and you have a winner.

For me, index sweetspot --> about 75% 80% of total area. G2 --> 20-30%. Not much more. That´s huge.

@zildacThere are opinions and there are facts, so when it comes to statements that some people make as ‘facts’, e.g. FOV comparisons, that are clearly incorrect, then yes, they need to be picked up. I would expect anyone to do the same to me!

Sorry that your first experience of VR was not a good one for you, but I feel what you said about the image not being clear at edges is pretty normal for VR headsets. Give it another go. The limitations are well worth it, as the immersion is amazing!

5 minutes ago, Gryzor said:

For me, index sweetspot --> about 75% 80% of total area. G2 --> 20-30%. Not much more. That´s huge.

As I said above, that is most definitely not my experience, having owned both headsets.  Index a bit better, but not much. Interesting that perceptions are so different. 

Edited by imacken

With index

29 minutes ago, imacken said:

@zildacThere are opinions and there are facts, so when it comes to statements that some people make as ‘facts’, e.g. FOV comparisons, that are clearly incorrect, then yes, they need to be picked up. I would expect anyone to do the same to me!

Sorry that your first experience of VR was not a good one for you, but I feel what you said about the image not being clear at edges is pretty normal for VR headsets. Give it another go. The limitations are well worth it, as the immersion is amazing!

As I said above, that is most definitely not my experience, having owned both headsets.  Index a bit better, but not much. Interesting that perceptions are so different. 

With index is a bit strange: the more closer the lenses, the more greater the sweetspot is in my experience (about 80% of the total area). I always have the lenses closest to my eyes in Index, maybe if you have your eyes at longer distance, so you don´t notice such huge difference in comparison with G2.

The fact is that with G2 I need to move my head just to read cockpit text or instruments, with some sort of "tunnel vision". In close dogfights with Index were easier to lock to a bandit, just because that. With Index, only moving my eye... easily can read cockpit instruments.

Edited by Gryzor

2 minutes ago, Gryzor said:

With index

With index is a bit strange: the more closer the lenses, the more greater the sweetspot in my experience (about 80% of the total area). I always have the lenses closest to my eyes in Index, maybe if you have your ayes at longer distance, you don´t notice such huge difference with G2.

The fact is that with G2 I need to move my head just to read cockpit text or instruments, with some sort of "tunnel vision". In close dogfights with Index were easier to lock to a bandit, just because that. With Index, only moving my eye... easily can read cockpit instruments.

Interesting. I guess there are so many variables, including eyesight, that there are bound to be some aspects that will vary from person to person. 

It's the other way round.  The default (with distortion factor) is generally 100%, so native is around 50%.  The 188% - showing 'native' -  was very quickly corrected as a clear bug.
Don't think it has anything to do with 2080 Ti, etc. as every headset from the CV1 through the Vive Pro and the Index, that I have owned have had 100% including distortion. The exception to this is the G1, and that is what this discussion was certainly originally about.

Exactly what I meant (maybe I didn’t explain myself) the index res at stramvr 100% is about double of native res.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

1 minute ago, VirusAM said:

Exactly what I meant (maybe I didn’t explain myself) the index res at stramvr 100% is about double of native res.

Thanks for clarifying. 

Thanks for clarifying. 

Roger....
Did someone try the half resolution mode of the reverb g2?
I remember it as a listed feature, but noone is talking about it.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Anybody here running a 3080 and a G2?

Got my G2 today and well... terrible performance on the Syria Map. My VRam caps out at 9.8GB. Many lost frames.

Read about Driver issues... anybody any recommendation?

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

1 hour ago, Gruman said:

Got my G2 today and well... terrible performance on the Syria Map. My VRam caps out at 9.8GB. Many lost frames.

I tried warning people about the 3080 in DCS due to the potential for DRAM cap being hit on some scenarios. I think 6800XT+ or 3080 Ti + will be safer bets and more future / scenario proof for DCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2 hours ago, Gruman said:

With my 3090, I see 12-16Gb in most DCS scenarios, and 18Gb occasionally. A certain other game, COD, uses 23Gb!

5 hours ago, Habu_69 said:

My G2 headset turns itself off after a period of being idle and the only way I have found to get it working again is to cycle the power supply to the video cable. Fiddling with SteamVR will not work. Is there a better way?

Try disabling and enabling it in the device manager

I pre-ordered my G2 from SystemActive in the UK on 30th June and received it on 1st December.

A couple of days ago SystemActive sent me an email stating:

"

We apologise for all the delays, missed delivery dates and general confusion caused during the HP Reverb G2 Pre-order launch.

As a good will gesture HP is offering you £50 cashback which will be paid into the account of your choice

"

I thought it was a mistake as I'd already received mine, but I completed their form and uploaded my invoice which clearly show delivery date, and I've just been approved for a £50 refund !

I guess HP must be taking a lot of stick for the delays

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

Same here!  My G2 (with controllers) ended up costing £475 from SystemActive.

I thought the delays affecting initial pre-orders were perfectly understandable, if unfortunate. The people shafted were those who pre-ordered later and still had no idea when they'd receive their headsets even though HP were selling them direct.

Obviously not passing up the compensation, but didn't feel it was at all necessary in my case.

Edited by Brun

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals