HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

dburne

That makes sense. Pretty sure the %ages must be the same for everyone for the same headset. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I don’t believe that it’s not a bug. G1 is correct for native res at 100%. Why would G2 have twice native res at 100%?
 Makes no sense. 

Because the lenses of the g2 are different.
The resolution for 1/1 ratio of the pixel is calculated using math...it is not something improvised.
Usually it is 1.4 pixel density (or 200% supersampling which is the same thing)
For the quest2 for example the pixel density for 1/1 ratio at the center of the display is 1.7

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

11 hours ago, VirusAM said:

Because the lenses of the g2 are different.
The resolution for 1/1 ratio of the pixel is calculated using math...it is not something improvised.
Usually it is 1.4 pixel density (or 200% supersampling which is the same thing)
For the quest2 for example the pixel density for 1/1 ratio at the center of the display is 1.7

We are purely discussing the difference between G1 and G2. Of course lenses are different and require different 'distortion' factors - for want of a better term - but for the G1 lenses to have that factor as 1.0, just does not feel right.

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

4 hours ago, imacken said:

We are purely discussing the difference between G1 and G2. Of course lenses are different and require different 'distortion' factors - for want of a better term - but for the G1 lenses to have that factor as 1.0, just does not feel right.

You cannot know for sure.....

Or  maybe back then when the fastest GPU was the 2080ti they just didn't feel right to set 200% as the "default" 100%...also if I remember that the first version had 188% as the defautl.

You should also notice that the g2 has similar lenses to the index...and for the index native res is 54% exactly like you guys are writing about the G2. 

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

On 12/8/2020 at 7:06 AM, imacken said:

Re your calcs, they are not correct either if we are being picky.  48% is 2196x2144, i.e. 4.71m pixels. Native is 4.665m. So, 48% is higher, not lower as you suggest, and is the closest on the slider to native.

The native resolution is 2160x2160. 2144 < 2160, so if you use that resolution, you will be under native in one dimension. So if you want "native" screen quality pixel for pixel, Steam does not have an option to exactly match it. You are going by total pixel count, but image quality gets distorted when when you have to shrink an image 2160 pixels tall into an image 2144 pixels tall. Likewise, it will be distorted being stretched from 2160 to a higher number like 2196. So do you go for performance by compressing the native image into the lower 2144, which loses information, or do you take a small hit to stretch to a slightly higher resolution? The answer is: each person should decide for themselves. It is easy enough to try the slider at 48%, 50%, and 54% (which are the numbers I see being thrown around). I have been running 50% because I prefer to equal or exceed 2160 in both dimensions and it is no less "native resolution" than 48%. By your accounting, as long as the two numbers multiplied together hit the total pixel count, that is native. But try creating an image that has the right pixel count but the wrong dimensions for you desktop background: it either has to be stretched or compressed in one direction, and either way, it looks a little off. But you lose more details compressing than stretching.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, VirusAM said:

You cannot know for sure.....

Or  maybe back then when the fastest GPU was the 2080ti they just didn't feel right to set 200% as the "default" 100%...also if I remember that the first version had 188% as the defautl.

You should also notice that the g2 has similar lenses to the index...and for the index native res is 54% exactly like you guys are writing about the G2. 

It's the other way round.  The default (with distortion factor) is generally 100%, so native is around 50%.  The 188% - showing 'native' -  was very quickly corrected as a clear bug.

Don't think it has anything to do with 2080 Ti, etc. as every headset from the CV1 through the Vive Pro and the Index, that I have owned have had 100% including distortion. The exception to this is the G1, and that is what this discussion was certainly originally about.

On 12/3/2020 at 7:25 AM, Habu_69 said:

You probably have to switch on Snapview Saving in Options, then set up the view you like in the game cockpit and do a snapview save. Then you can adjust the values directly in the .lua file in Saved Games.

Which "options" are you talking about?

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Quick question, I'm helping a friend setup his G2 and we're having issues with reprojection. WMR for Steam VR BETA is downloaded and we set the Motion Smoothing in Steam VR/settings/video/per application/DCS to Enabled.

As he didn't buy controllers, he cannot access the Steam VR dashboard or the specific WMR reprojection settings within that app and the settings in Steam VR are not turning on reprojection. FPS is fluctuating in DCS. 

Do I need to revert to the old way and go into the WMR Steam Apps notepad page and comment out the marks next to auto? 

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

The Motion Smoothing setting in SteamVR isn't compatible with WMR headsets, so you'll need to revert to manually editing the default.vrsettings config file if you don't have controllers.  Keep in mind that you'll often have to go back and re-edit that file because it gets replaced with nearly every SteamVR update.  On the line that refers to "motionReprojectionMode", you'll need to remove the "//" from the left side of that line.  I also like to change the "auto" part to "motionvector".  Doing that forces reprojection on all the time, and I have found that it reduces stuttering which can sometimes be caused by the "auto" setting switching in and out of motion reprojection mode.

The manual file edit is my preferred method, since I don't always like messing with the controllers.

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

45 minutes ago, oz555 said:

Quick question, I'm helping a friend setup his G2 and we're having issues with reprojection. WMR for Steam VR BETA is downloaded and we set the Motion Smoothing in Steam VR/settings/video/per application/DCS to Enabled.

As he didn't buy controllers, he cannot access the Steam VR dashboard or the specific WMR reprojection settings within that app and the settings in Steam VR are not turning on reprojection. FPS is fluctuating in DCS. 

Do I need to revert to the old way and go into the WMR Steam Apps notepad page and comment out the marks next to auto? 

The SteamVR motion smoothing setting only works if you are able to access the dashboard as you suggest. That is the correct way to enable motion smoothing/reprojection on WMR devices now.

If you have no way of accessing SteamVR dash, then I guess you will have to revert to the old method of editing the default.vrsettings file. However, that is NOT recommended now that the WMR settings has its own tab in SteamVR dashboard, and the first few lines of that file warn you not to use that method any more.  Still, I can't think of any other way for you to do it without controllers.

EDIT: Sorry, yes, I can.  You can do it by running the exe file which is X:\xxxxx\Steam Libray\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\bin\win64\OpenVRSettingsUX.exe

Edited by imacken

10 minutes ago, eaglecash867 said:

The Motion Smoothing setting in SteamVR isn't compatible with WMR headsets, so you'll need to revert to manually editing the default.vrsettings config file if you don't have controllers.  

In the early days, it wasn't compatible, but It is compatible now and has been for a few months - ever since the WMR tab in the SteamVR dashboard was put in. See other replies and the MS doc linked often here for the correct current method of activating motion smoothing/reprojection.

8 minutes ago, imacken said:

In the early days, it wasn't compatible, but It is compatible now and has been for a few months - ever since the WMR tab in the SteamVR dashboard was put in. See other replies and the MS doc linked often here for the correct current method of activating motion smoothing/reprojection.

I'm seeing this with mine as Steam VR motion smoothing settings do effect DCS, however I assume it has to be activated in the VR Dash first, which my friend cannot do. 

Imacken, 

EDIT: Sorry, yes, I can.  You can do it by running the exe file which is X:\xxxxx\Steam Libray\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\bin\win64\OpenVRSettingsUX.exe

Do I ask my friend to run this?

Edited by oz555

32 minutes ago, imacken said:

The SteamVR motion smoothing setting only works if you are able to access the dashboard as you suggest. That is the correct way to enable motion smoothing/reprojection on WMR devices now.

If you have no way of accessing SteamVR dash, then I guess you will have to revert to the old method of editing the default.vrsettings file. However, that is NOT recommended now that the WMR settings has its own tab in SteamVR dashboard, and the first few lines of that file warn you not to use that method any more.  Still, I can't think of any other way for you to do it without controllers.

I would also note with the system button press on the right controller, it is a quick press/release. If you hold button down for any length of time it does not open the Dash panel.

I was thinking mine was not working till I realized that.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Can anyone elaborate on the above from Imacken.  Will this exe enable reprojection for the G2 without editing the cfg file?

11 minutes ago, oz555 said:

Can anyone elaborate on the above from Imacken.  Will this exe enable reprojection for the G2 without editing the cfg file?

What is there to elaborate on? That is the setting executable from the dashboard that you can run if you don’t have controllers, as I said above. 

9 minutes ago, imacken said:

What is there to elaborate on? That is the setting executable from the dashboard that you can run if you don’t have controllers, as I said above. 

I just wasn't sure whether the exe changed settings or opened a settings menu. 

Just run it. Exactly what I need. Thanks. 

Edited by oz555

53 minutes ago, imacken said:

If we take into account the fact that oz555 says his friend didn't buy controllers, SteamVR Dashboard has no bearing on the question he is asking, since he can't use the dashboard without controllers.  I am showing him how to enable motion reprojection...without the controllers his friend doesn't have.  Not sure what "see other replies" has to do with the actual question he asked.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

1 hour ago, oz555 said:

I just wasn't sure whether the exe changed settings or opened a settings menu. 

Just run it. Exactly what I need. Thanks. 

Ah, I see. Yes, it changes settings.

1 hour ago, eaglecash867 said:

If we take into account the fact that oz555 says his friend didn't buy controllers, SteamVR Dashboard has no bearing on the question he is asking, since he can't use the dashboard without controllers.  I am showing him how to enable motion reprojection...without the controllers his friend doesn't have.  Not sure what "see other replies" has to do with the actual question he asked.

I showed above how to access the WMR settings by running the exe without controllers.

For information everyone: 

I saw some people complain about laggy behaviour with their Nvidia cards. This may - or may not - explain it. If you've been updating your graphic driver (or it is done automatically for you) Nvidia has been experiencing problems on drivers after 451.48. (This is the last good one). See here: will start a new post highlighting this for people.

https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/jjhkne/nvidia_drivers_since_45148_causing_dropped_frames/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Been mentioned before. Personally, I have no problem with the latest nVidia drivers, and most others who posted here didn’t either. 
I don’t believe this is a real issue. 

Yeah no problem with latest driver here either.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|