HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

dburne

Might have to give this a try with my G2.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

9 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yep, looks good.  Don't know where we would get a O+ VRCover though. Don't think they stock them any more, and I couldn't see one on Amazon or eBay UK.

I've always felt that the original face pad is very far away form the headset, much more than other HMDs, and that is why the FOV isn't is big as others. Huge gap!  I tend to press my headset towards my face quite hard - which makes a differnce - and it seems to stick.

The only thing I slightly worry about, is the comfort factor.  With the G2, I feel that is one of its biggest assets, and I wonder how replacing the face pad will affect this.  

If you find a source, can you post a link here?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

42 minutes ago, imacken said:

Yep, looks good.  Don't know where we would get a O+ VRCover though. Don't think they stock them any more, and I couldn't see one on Amazon or eBay UK.

I've always felt that the original face pad is very far away form the headset, much more than other HMDs, and that is why the FOV isn't is big as others. Huge gap!  I tend to press my headset towards my face quite hard - which makes a differnce - and it seems to stick.

The only thing I slightly worry about, is the comfort factor.  With the G2, I feel that is one of its biggest assets, and I wonder how replacing the face pad will affect this.  

If you find a source, can you post a link here?

Not sure if this is the one needed though...

https://vrcover.com/product/samsung-odyssey-plus-replacement/

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

12 minutes ago, dburne said:

I think that is the one.  Unfortunately, it is not available in the Europe store.  They only seem to have Q2 stuff on there.  I wonder if the US store would ship to Europe. I'll ask.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

2 hours ago, dburne said:

thanks Don, I'm going to give this a whirl!  I have a big noggin to boot as well... 

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

6 hours ago, dburne said:

OK, so they ship to the UK for the same $7 as US internal mail. I've ordered it, so we'll see.

34 minutes ago, imacken said:

OK, so they ship to the UK for the same $7 as US internal mail. I've ordered it, so we'll see.

I have ordered one as well, should be an interesting endeavor.

Don B

Ditto its a race to see which gets here first the VR cover or the G2... 

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

My biggest issue with the G2 is performance, at 48% it really doesn’t look as good as my G1 was at 100% so I need to push up the resolution higher than I previously had it with the inevitable hit on performance. I wasn’t expecting that, believing the improved lenses would give a better image at the same settings.

I can accept the explanation for over sampling but if it means the new design needs a load more pixels to achieve the same as the old one then it isn’t a great solution as we were already on the limits of computing power to run that!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

2 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

My biggest issue with the G2 is performance, at 48% it really doesn’t look as good as my G1 was at 100% so I need to push up the resolution higher than I previously had it with the inevitable hit on performance. I wasn’t expecting that, believing the improved lenses would give a better image at the same settings.

I can accept the explanation for over sampling but if it means the new design needs a load more pixels to achieve the same as the old one then it isn’t a great solution as we were already on the limits of computing power to run that!

Agreed. See my initial thoughts a few pages ago here just after I received my G2.  

As you say, even accepting the whole theory behind the need to have to render twice as many pixels to achieve the recommended default, something just doesn't sit right with me when making comparisons with the G1.

I agree with you that 48% (or 'native') on the G2 just is not as good as I remember my G1 at 100% ('native') in terms of clarity.

My G2 arrived last weekend and I had a chance to set it up Yesterday. 
I'm using a 1080ti and am having some strange issues that at first glance would appear to be performance related but I’m not so sure. Basically it’s really laggy, for want of a better word, when I move my head. But this started all of a sudden in the menus after I clicked “generate” in the quick mission menu. Never had performance issues at the main menu so think something else is up, I’ll get to the bottom of it eventually.

The reason for my post is, what SS are you lucky folks with fancy new GPUs running? I tried it at 100% to start off with, and oh my goodness it’s amazing! Can’t believe how good it looks, I was worried about the sweet spot but it’s not an issue at all. Of course I can’t run it at 100% with my 1080ti and at 50% it’s doesn’t look much better than my Rift S but I’m happy to stick it back in the box and wait till I can get a new GPU next year if it will let me run it at 100%. 

on a side note 100% ss shows a resolution of 28xx by 28xx (or something similar) not 3xxx by 3xxx, which seems odd because I would have thought every G2 would have the same resolution at 100% ss? But I come from the rift s so this is all a bit new to me.

Asking about SS values alone isn't enough. that is - obviously - just one setting out of dozens!  It's all a balancing act of SS, shadows, MSAA, etc.etc.

However, I'm interested in what you say about your SteamVR values.  Can you tell us what your 48%, 100% and 200% values are exactly in SteamVR?

3 minutes ago, Digitalvole said:

My G2 arrived last weekend and I had a chance to set it up Yesterday. 
I'm using a 1080ti and am having some strange issues that at first glance would appear to be performance related but I’m not so sure. Basically it’s really laggy, for want of a better word, when I move my head. But this started all of a sudden in the menus after I clicked “generate” in the quick mission menu. Never had performance issues at the main menu so think something else is up, I’ll get to the bottom of it eventually.

The reason for my post is, what SS are you lucky folks with fancy new GPUs running? I tried it at 100% to start off with, and oh my goodness it’s amazing! Can’t believe how good it looks, I was worried about the sweet spot but it’s not an issue at all. Of course I can’t run it at 100% with my 1080ti and at 50% it’s doesn’t look much better than my Rift S but I’m happy to stick it back in the box and wait till I can get a new GPU next year if it will let me run it at 100%. 

on a side note 100% ss shows a resolution of 28xx by 28xx (or something similar) not 3xxx by 3xxx, which seems odd because I would have thought every G2 would have the same resolution at 100% ss? But I come from the rift s so this is all a bit new to me.

Not everyone will have the exact same resolution when setting at 100%, part of that equation is based on the system specs being used.

They will be somewhat close though.

Don B

1 minute ago, dburne said:

Not everyone will have the exact same resolution when setting at 100%, part of that equation is based on the system specs being used.

i have asked this question before. Why would that be?  I mean if a headset requires a specific amount of compensation to overcome barrel distortion, surely that number is the same regardless of what other PC components are involved. Curious about this.

1 minute ago, imacken said:

i have asked this question before. Why would that be?  I mean if a headset requires a specific amount of compensation to overcome barrel distortion, surely that number is the same regardless of what other PC components are involved. Curious about this.

Probably because it is "HP Math"... Or Steam VR Math.

🤣

Mine on my rig shows 100% as being 3172x3100 per eye.

Don B

3 minutes ago, dburne said:

Mine on my rig shows 100% as being 3172x3100 per eye.

Same here, but poster above was saying 28xx at 100%. Up to 25% difference in pixels. That's huge!

I’ll post the exact numbers this evening as long as the gods of parenthood are smiling upon me. 

as for ss and settings  etc, I know it’s a balancing act but as an example what is your SS set at? 

I suppose what I’m getting at is, is 100% feasible with these new GPUs? 

Edited by Digitalvole
  • Like 1

I run with 100%, no MSAA, shadows med, terrain shadows off, most other stuff high.

I mean, yes 100% is feasible, but I struggle in lots of scenarios at that level.  Mostly, it's fine, but any missions over urban areas on the Channel Map or Supercarrier missions et al are a struggle.  As we know, it's all about getting a balance that suits you.

Indeed it is, it’s a very personal thing which I suspect is why it can all get confusing for folks when trying to match other people’s experience/settings. 

For me the goal is a steady 45 in Liberation which I’ve pretty much got going on with my Rift S at the mo. I’d love the channel map (home turf for me) but I’ve not read good things about how it performs.

Despite the G2 going back in the box tonight I’m really excited, it feels like VR in DCS is getting to the point I dreamed of when I first popped the CV1 on my noggin.

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Oh ok, so lower for lower spec hardware etc? That’s interesting but still seems a bit strange, you’d think it was what it was and that’s it.

Well all I can say is at my 100% it looked fantastic, and all my worries about sweet spot, comfort, improvement over the rift s vanished. Just hope I can get a new GPU sorted before the next global catastrophe rolls along 😉

9 minutes ago, Digitalvole said:

Oh ok, so lower for lower spec hardware etc? That’s interesting but still seems a bit strange, you’d think it was what it was and that’s it.

Well all I can say is at my 100% it looked fantastic, and all my worries about sweet spot, comfort, improvement over the rift s vanished. Just hope I can get a new GPU sorted before the next global catastrophe rolls along 😉

That's why I'm very interested in the numbers you will give us later. Let's see.

Mine is 3160x3092 @ 100%

i5 8600K, 2080Ti

I am not sure it is PC performance based, I think that is the Auto setting (which in my case is 3628x3552 132%). Though why they should be different is intriguing!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

So checked this evening and I had it set to auto (hadn’t changed it) and 100% ss was 2724x2660 so I clicked on custom and 100% ss was 3168x3092. So indeed auto must be based on your pc performance and custom is the actual native resolution (@100% ss) ?

sorry, I’m new to steam vr