OPERATION CAGE THE BEAR (F/A-18C HORNET CAMPAIGN)

kaba

Fixing to start it myself, looking forward to it!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Three missions into it now, being a fairly new Hornet driver it is certainly helping expand my knowledge.

Really enjoying it so far. This will be my 4th campaign with the Hornet.

Mission 3 was great fun, lot of stuff going on and oh that Case III carrier trap. Great pucker factor lol!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I am such a dork.

So this rookie Hornet pilot has been flying currently the Intercept mission which has been kind of kicking my butt. Yesterday afternoon I try it again, and made it all the way through to getting clearance to return to the carrier. However there were a couple of enemy planes nearby and I had a missile left so I decided to go after one. Well one of them got me, ugh.

Maybe today will be the day lol.

Don B

Last mission - Mission 8 - is really kicking my butt. I have been trying for several days now.

Struggling getting hits on TWS or RWS till they are practically on top of me now.

One time out of many attempts I made it through where I could call in the strikes which I did. All I had left was guns.

I still got taken out by something before getting message to return to base. No idea what.

Don B

Ok like 5 days  now I have been trying to complete this campaign.

Last mission - 8 - just can not get.

Too many enemy air, not enough help, not enough missiles. Even made it as far as the strike, still enemy air kept coming.

Time for me to move on - I enjoyed it up till now, granted I am still somewhat new to the Hornet but this one apparently is way beyond

my capability. I have flown three campaigns successfully so far, not this one. I am having a big problem getting hits to show up on TWS.

Edited by dburne

Don B

I have a question on Mission 8 if anyone might know?

I have no problem calling in the SEAD and Strike packages using the F10 menu.

However I do not see a way to call in for assistance from that second CAP flight as mentioned in the briefing?

I keep getting nailed as enemy fighters just keep coming and maybe this is what I am missing?

Thanks for any tips.

From the briefing:

UZI 1 will order SEAD and strike packages when ready ( use your radio : F10 menu to push allied 
    flights). A second CAP flight will also be on station to assist if requested.

Don B

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I gave up on this campaign.

Don B

20 hours ago, kaba said:

Hi there - shame to hear it, can I ask why?

I could never get past this:

And no assistance was offered so I gave up on it.

Don B

4 hours ago, dburne said:

I could never get past this:

And no assistance was offered so I gave up on it.

Thanks, let me look into this further. I need to update this campaign to the new weather etc so can look at this bug in tandem. Thanks again.

3 minutes ago, kaba said:

Thanks, let me look into this further. I need to update this campaign to the new weather etc so can look at this bug in tandem. Thanks again.

Ok thanks. I have uninstalled but if this gets resolved I surely would give it another try.

Don B

• 1 year later...

OKkFBx9.png

Experiencing graphical issues starting with mission 2. Terrain is all flat white with no detail being rendered and same for the ocean. It's very unusual. Mission 1 is fine.

This is with both hot start and cold start campaigns. The visual anomaly is not present anywhere else in DCS either.

Edited by HemingwayFE

• 1 month later...

From the campaign downloads section:

I think I found the bug with the exploding bombers in the "Interception" mission. There is a trigger in the mission that starts a 700 second timer when any of the Red coalition enters the circular "Blue Zone". After the timer expires all the bombers explode. That part seems intentional and I am sure it has some purpose in the mission. But the problem is that there are a few static Red (as in coalition, not color) smoke objects in the Blue Zone that count as part of the Red coalition! This causes the timer to start counting right on the mission start. So, precisely 11 min and 40 seconds into the mission all Russian bombers explode :).

As a workaround, I deleted all Red smoke objects from the Blue Zone circle. There is probably a better way but this doesn't need any trigger changes and avoids the problem.

Oh now how did this get by this Hornet Driver?  But I'm on it now.  Cheers.,

EDIT:  OH pooh, hot starts.

Edited by Steel Jaw

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Hi,

I’ve flown Interception mission twice now. 
first attempt, I turned hot on the enemy when they were around 50 NM. Then we clear the sky, I get no further calls. Do the Case III but no mission complete. 
second time I waited with turning hot until my wingman did. We clear the sky again. I get the ‘strike package destroyed’ massage by awacs. Yet, no RTB call. Again, completed the Case III but mission is still incomplete. 
I can provide track files for both times as needed. 
Any suggestions?

edit: in F14 (couldn’t get answer in F14 forum, MT VR

thanks

Edited by Dentedend10

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

13 hours ago, Dentedend10 said:

I’ve flown Interception mission twice now. 
first attempt, I turned hot on the enemy when they were around 50 NM. Then we clear the sky, I get no further calls. Do the Case III but no mission complete. 
second time I waited with turning hot until my wingman did. We clear the sky again. I get the ‘strike package destroyed’ massage by awacs. Yet, no RTB call. Again, completed the Case III but mission is still incomplete.

Check the briefing log (or Tacview or replay the track) when exactly the Su-24 and Tu-22 bombers die. If a whole bunch of them dies around 11 min 40 sec into the mission then this is the same exploding bomber problem from the couple posts above.

3 hours ago, LimeGreen said:

I have the same issue with the F14. Can i still take the file and replace it?

Possibly, I don't know. You would have to at least change the F/A-18 to F-14 in the mission editor. Try it.

But it may be easier to take the original F-14 mission and make the same fix (delete Red smoke objects in the "Blue Zone" trigger area).

Edited by bolek

5 hours ago, LimeGreen said:

I have the same issue with the F14. Can i still take the file and replace it?

I got a reply from @kaba on the F14 forum. The fix should be coming in upcoming updates

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

• 4 months later...

if I go into mission editor and change the load out to remove the aim7`s and put on 120`s  it shows them installed on the jet but not on the stores page. it there a  workaround for this, other then i dont use -7`s it is a fun mission set

I9-9900k, 32MB, RTX2070S, 2560x1440 165hz monitor, track IR, Grass Monkey wireless Puck, Virpil T50-CM3,  Winwing Superlibra stick with Hornet and Viper grip, Winwing Orion2 with Hornet, and F15E grip, Winwing PTO, home made 2060 mounts,  Virpill ACE interceptor pedals