The Anton rocks, plain and simple.

msalama

Thank you ED, this is my new favourite now. Time to put the Dora into storage.

This is a great A/C, and so well modelled too. Perfect for airstrikes and it's not even the dedicated ground attack version yet. Gotta love that mythical, magical radial growling in front of you. Echt Geil, meine Damen und Herren!

Edited by msalama

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you ED, this is my new favourite now. Time to put the Dora into storage.

This is a great A/C, and so well modelled too. Perfect for airstrikes and it's not even the dedicated ground attack version yet. Gotta love that mythical, magical radial growling in front of you. Echt Geil, meine Damen und Herren!

Yes, it's very well modeled, has a nice sound and it's nice for ground attack. Just don't try to dogfight in it ;)

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

If you follow this advice, you'll miss out a lot of action and shredded enemies.

If you usually play against the AI maybe :) Against a half competent opponent, you have no options but try to escape.

Here's just a little example dogfight showing how the A8 has no options and no hope in a real dogfight:

Edited by MrExplosion

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

If you usually play against the AI maybe :) Against a half competent opponent, you have no options but try to escape.

Here's just a little example dogfight showing how the A8 is no options and no hope in a real dogfight:

I have different experience. If you fly decent enough, you can even fight Spitfires. More than a capable fighter in the right hands. Online or not, just have to fly right.

I have different experience. If you fly decent enough, you can even fight Spitfires. More than a capable fighter in the right hands. Online or not, just have to fly right.

I cant quite agree on that one, since all the numbers speak against you, except for armament. But armament does not help you much, if you cant point your nose towards your opponent.

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

I cant quite agree on that one, since all the numbers speak against you, except for armament. But armament does not help you much, if you cant point your nose towards your opponent.

Rollrate. Use that. Everyone will follow you into a scissor where you will most likely can get on their six.

Rollrate. Use that. Everyone will follow you into a scissor where you will most likely can get on their six.

They would have to be kind enough to overshoot for that to work ;)

If you really can make it work in multiplayer I would be very interested in watching a video or tacview track or something to learn, but currently I do doubt it. :)

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

I agree, it require very experienced pilot to do so.

My problem is when flying Dora or Anton is when i almost got p-51 or spitfire another one is jumping on my tail :P

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I agree, it require very experienced pilot to do so.

I just observe that a Spitfire can do anything it wants to an Anton, while the Anton has pretty much no game at all. Even when you manage to use roll rate to your advantage to Spit has a so much stronger motor and better turn rate that it can turn the tables in it's favor again in no time.

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

I agree that the A8 does not stand much of a chance in a dogfight BUT nothing wrong with trying. It's still a very good aircraft and who cares if you get shot down. Just respawn and try again. I think it would be great if flown with a wing man.

If you try to get an overshoot with scissors a good pilot is going to high yo yo above you and you will be stuck with low energy below them. Or they can just lower their throttle, sit behind you and shoot you all day(I do this in the P51D to A8s all the time).

Edited by Snapage

They would have to be kind enough to overshoot for that to work ;)

If you really can make it work in multiplayer I would be very interested in watching a video or tacview track or something to learn, but currently I do doubt it. :)

You also have a throttle, flaps and wings with which you can slow down quite well...

And then you also use the rollrate to stay out of their gunsight all the time.

I have one video of it, when it got released, with some scenes in it. (

)

A little summary of what happens:

Climbing at the beginning. Then I found a focused P-51 and downed it (thanks to a bait from a friendly player). Then dodged a P-51 by doing a little dive. Then running after another P-51 and downing him.

Then turnfighting with a P-51. I made many mistakes there but he eventually made more and crashed.

And last a clusterf*ck of planes, where i managed to hit a Spitfire and continued to do some run-by attacks and that was it.

Not too many special things but you can see some valid tactics there, Turning, running-by, running after etc.

I also recommend you watching some videos from "IFlyCentral". He's also flying the 190A a lot, although in the other sim, but the core is the same. You will see some good flying with the A against various types of enemy planes.

Yes, I fly the Anton in that other Sim now and then which is why I was so disappointed comparing it to a Spit or even P-51 in DCS.

My complaint is basically that they decided to make the dogfighter version without emergency power, so it's engine AND turn performance is miles behind the Spit but still market it as a great opponent against the Spitfire.

In your video the only opponent that is actually engaging you is on your six in no time. ;) Nice flying by you tho, nonetheless.

I ll try it some more, but cant really see it getting any kind of edge in a proper dogfight (starting 1on1 with same energy state, etc)

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

My complaint is basically that they decided to make the dogfighter version without emergency power, so it's engine AND turn performance is miles behind the Spit but still market it as a great opponent against the Spitfire.

This. It's just a bit disappointing when most reports say the Spit and the Anton were very evenly matched and it was marketed as such. Of course I've never flown one but from what you can read up on the planes I expected the Anton to just be overall "better".

In Fw190 pilots position is settled way better for high g loading then in spit, in that regard spit would have to let go in high g turn. But this is probably not modeled because pilot position isn't taken under consideration here. Probably all pilots can handle same G in DCS

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

In Fw190 pilots position is settled way better for high g loading then in spit, in that regard spit would have to let go in high g turn. But this is probably not modeled because pilot position isn't taken under consideration here. Probably all pilots can handle same G in DCS

I think in 44 british pilots had G-suits?

But yea, I dont think it is modeled.

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

I think in 44 british pilots had G-suits?

But yea, I dont think it is modeled.

I think G suit is modeled in DCS

I don't know if every spit pilot was equipped with this, i can tell that all Fw190 pilots had good position in cockpit for high G.

Main Problem is that this is pure simulation. Physical differences between pilots played extreme factor. Planes were flying in big groups. Which cant be simulated.

When FW190 A meet this mach spit IX, what year was it ? 1943? in that time FW190 may had advantage, in max G, in speed.

Edited by grafspee

A3 or A5 is lighter than A8 and has similar power.

But, the A8 fits Normandy better whereas the Spit IX is still the main British fighter for that time.

AKA Venturi

"You can tell a bomber pilot by the spread across his rear, and by the ring around his eye, you can tell a bombadier; You can tell a navigator by his maps and charts and such, and you can tell a fighter pilot - but you can't tell him much!" -523 TFS Fighter Pilots Song Book

This. It's just a bit disappointing when most reports say the Spit and the Anton were very evenly matched and it was marketed as such. Of course I've never flown one but from what you can read up on the planes I expected the Anton to just be overall "better".

The FW190 and spitfire were constantly being improved to compete with each other. We have the spitfire 9 which was the British counter to the FW190A8. So of course the A8 does not do well. But we also have the Dora which was what the Germans did with the FW190 to make it competative again.

• 3 weeks later...
The FW190 and spitfire were constantly being improved to compete with each other. We have the spitfire 9 which was the British counter to the FW190A8. So of course the A8 does not do well. But we also have the Dora which was what the Germans did with the FW190 to make it competative again.

Spit IX was rushed as a stop gap while Spit VIII was still not ready. Initially it faced FW-190A3 variants and later 190-A5s. These were much lighter and nimbler than the FW-190A8. So the classic matchup is Spit IX vs FW190A3–A7.

The FW-190A8 is a later model, that by the time it entered service, the Spit IX was being partly replaced by Spit XIV (though IX sub variants lasted till the end of the war). The A8 was not meant to be a better fighter - it was meant to be a better bomber destroyer after it was clear that ME-110/210/410 were not up to the task.

It would be nice if we could opt to remove the outer wing guns in order to lighten it for a pure fighter role. While the Dora is a wonderful fighter, a real classic FW is a radial.

Edited by Bozon

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

What I could read up about the anton is that its more heavy with similar engine power so I wonder if those reports did cover every little detail.

I mean I am not an expert but I guess its also possible that a pair of MG151 or other heavy "not essential parts" of the bird had been removed to increase their overal performance in dogfights against the spitfire IX when it was necessary. Like how could they have a chance when according to the technical spreadsheets available the A8 had about +800kg weight to carry with similar engine porwer.

For example I have read that the cover plates of the landing gears had been removed from the Bf-109 in some situation or there had been Ace pilots who asked one pair of their MG to be removed to gain additional performance to help them in dogfights.

Beside the comparison reports might not take the pilots combat experience under consideration.

Edited by Sharkh

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

Spit IX was rushed as a stop gap while Spit VIII was still not ready. Initially it faced FW-190A3 variants and later 190-A5s. These were much lighter and nimbler than the FW-190A8. So the classic matchup is Spit IX vs FW190A3–A7.

The FW-190A8 is a later model, that by the time it entered service, the Spit IX was being partly replaced by Spit XIV (though IX sub variants lasted till the end of the war). The A8 was not meant to be a better fighter - it was meant to be a better bomber destroyer after it was clear that ME-110/210/410 were not up to the task.

It would be nice if we could opt to remove the outer wing guns in order to lighten it for a pure fighter role. While the Dora is a wonderful fighter, a real classic FW is a radial.

This. But I also think it should be marketed as a bomber destroyer by ED. Right now they sell it as a nice tool against the Spitfire and I dont think thats very nice towards folks to are looking to buy a nice dogfighter. Right now they can at least test it for free to see thats just plain wrong... still not very nice.

Edited by MrExplosion

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

I had the opportunity to test it thanks to the free trial programme.

When I first bought the P-51D years ago, I was so impressed with the quality of the cockpit and the exterior model, which was my first contact. Then with the flight model of course. The sound was good, included the famous whistle, but the Merlin's music was not entirely there yet.

I'm impressed again with this module, the high resolution textures, the sound - even the engine's, the handling gives an increased feeling of realism - hard to explain exactly why, less distraction from the immersion I suppose.

Perhaps the sound is especially important (at least for me). For example, now that the Spitfire has a great set of engine sounds, it's much more enjoyable too.

And that'll be amplified even more with the damage model, I'm sure.

Well done!

Edited by Redglyph
removed source of unnecessary debate

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR